Different Coupe Leak Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Coupe Leak Fix

Something else to try if you haven’t tried it yet.

Ok guys. Your pleas of woe have spurred me into action. I rarely post but felt Paul N. might be near crisis point with his wet coupe.

I spent an afternoon recently with a hose pipe, an airline and a tube of the rather sexily named ‘3M 08509’, a non hardening auto sealant.

I had the headlining edge pulled off, loads of trim off, sunroof in bits etc.

Surprisingly my sunroof was not leaking. I had thought it was. Luckily my windscreen area was ok also.

The major leaks I found were getting in on both sides from under the trim arrowed in the pic and through the roof rack insert areas.

What I did was to gun in some sealant under the trim arrowed (from the top side after drying with the airline). I also removed the roof rack inserts, squirted a bit of sealant around the holes, then replaced the inserts. Rub off the excess with a rag and job done.

If you’re wet give it a try. Worth a try if you’re desperate I’d say. I can’t remember this particular leak being mentioned before – hence the post. Do post and let me know if it’s helped anyone.

Nigelm
    Attached Files

Cheers for the advice there Nigel, I need to sort the leaky old girl out sometime, luckily I don't need her as an every day ride but might do in the not so distant future...
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I think i'm going to try that sealer on the tops of the a-pillars where mines leaking from, see if i can step the tide!
      Good tips, nice one Nigel
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

where did you get the 3M 08509 from Nigel?
        I'm going to try pumping it into the tops of my a-pillar trims and see if it seals the fecker before i put the interior back in
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Brilliant post - anyone solving leaks on Coupes deserves special credit. Thanks for that - I will have to investigate on mine as it is reaching crisis point.
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Sealant

@ Error404.
            I got the sealant from a mate who works at a bodyshop.
            I guess it's widely available. Google it?

nigelm

Comment

I've just orered some from here, £8 including postage

http://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/pro...oducts_id=5663
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                I've just orered some from here, £8 including postage

http://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/pro...oducts_id=5663
                wonder what the difference between the one you list and this one...Linky

But, isn't this just that horrible sticky black windscreen bonding adhesive - comes in a cartridge...?

Good luck getting that neatly under the trims...!

Chris
                Last edited by LHD_Kid; 13 November 2009, 07:38.
                Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

the more expensive one is for bonding in the screen, the other is a non-setting sealant that stays sticky so it doesn't dry out and crack etc
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

am at the end of my patience with mine Paul...had an inch deep in the back when i checked it on sunday...hasnt moved for over a month and is now the usual hurred up S2 that i get in november Am glad the carpet is out and very glad i hadnt put it back in. Just wish i had the time to sort mine out, its doing my head in!
                    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

I have this issue to deal with on the 3B i have just bought ...roof lining is soaking!! fixed a pipe on passenger side for draining but still leaking water in ..
                      93 S2 Avant Parting
                      91 URQ RR
                      02 A4 tdi Avant

Comment

Something I discovered that might help others.

My damp Coupe boot can be cured by removing the spare wheel. Not ideal if you are out and require the spare, so I carry an RAC card at all times.

It seems that the spare wheel distorts something at the hatch enough to let water in.

Comment

Well I've now had a water tight coupe for a week

Combination of spending hours aligning the doors, wondow mechs and rubber corner trims perfectly and gunning some of the 3M sealant listed above into the tops of the a-pillar trims and along the top of the windscreen corners. I used to have about 1/2 a litre a week coming into each footwell - now bone dry for a whole week even during the torential rain we've been having
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Do you have to remove the trim to add sealant? I think that’s where mine is leaking from

Comment

Working...
                            X