RS2'ed 7A US Spec Coupe project thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS2'ed 7A US Spec Coupe project thread

Got rid of the thumbnail and went to big pics in later posts with advise from Jamo!
    Last edited by AudiCoupeParts; 4 December 2009, 17:27.

Last edited by AudiCoupeParts; 18 September 2011, 17:21.

Comment

Comment

That is some serious work going on

Comment

I'm curious Joe, did you start with a stock US Coupe? if so you have an amazing attention to detail, example: the small tray on the passenger side where the battery tray would have been on the stock US market coupe, also the fuel lines, washer fluid reservoir and the ps fluid reservoir, abs pump... Lots of work if it was a standard US coupe, big thumbs up! I hope to take my coupe to RS2 levels soon.

Comment

some more pics. she needs a paint job

Comment

Yes, she is (was) a full US spec Coupe Quattro 7A

Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post
              I'm curious Joe, did you start with a stock US Coupe? if so you have an amazing attention to detail, example: the small tray on the passenger side where the battery tray would have been on the stock US market coupe, also the fuel lines, washer fluid reservoir and the ps fluid reservoir, abs pump... Lots of work if it was a standard US coupe, big thumbs up! I hope to take my coupe to RS2 levels soon.
              My quest was try my best to make a true S2 Coupe replica from my stock 7A Coupe. Pouring hours into Etka searching for what parts I needed and of them which ones I could obtain here in the US and which ones from Europe.

Tons of work. Removing the stock battery tray, and installing a S2 battery box in the back seat. Preping the firewall for the little O2 sensor tray and bracket and removing the b3 style abs bracket, then welding in the b4 ABS bracket all ate up days of my life.

I also installed factory strut tower brackets and bar to help complete the real S2 engine bay look. 5 lug hubs with studs and Vortrag coil-overs with Koni Yellow inserts.

Wheels are 18 x 8.5 with 10mm spacers front and rear. Rs2 Anti roll bar in the front.

Tons of parts bought from all over the world to get her this far.

Comment

I’m so jealous…

Very nice job Joe!
                sigpic

Comment

How involved was the change to the later ABS unit, lots of pipe fabrication?
                  91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                  93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                  94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Nope.....

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
                    How involved was the change to the later ABS unit, lots of pipe fabrication?
                    The donor ABS B4 pump came off my old 90 V6 Q I parted out this summer. I was able to surgically remove the pump bracket and cut the brake lines as low as possible where they converge on the firewall. I did not damage any of the intricate lines that all feed into the pump. To recreate them would have been a real pain in the A hole...

I had to only do a few little bends in the stock lines and flare and couple the ends togther. Not as factory looking as I would like but I realy hate jacking around with brake lines. PLus space is limited and a drag to mess with in that area.

I removed the B4 ABS loom carefully and then using the B3 Antilock on/off loom diagrams I spiced in the switch loom within the ABY dash loom.

Now all of my centre dash switch locations are filled. No blanks here!

Comment

Wary nice work and close S2 replica
                      DD 1990 CQT 800+HP SOLD
                      1/4 mile 10.70@135.66
                      (SOLD)
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy-YlssmSfY
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XgzVJyvrfg
                      2003 A6 4.2 Quattro
                      97 MB S320 DD

Comment

"How To" pics of S2 battery box install on RS2'd Coupe. LOTS of PICTURES!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actual ABY factory installed S2 Coupe battery box

Step 1. Make a template with cardboard that outlines the top of the battery box. Measure location using reference photos of actual S2 battery box. Move all objects under area to be cut. You want to remove a piece that looks like the picture below...

Step 2. Transfer template markings to the seat pan and use a jigsaw with a fine metal cutting blade to trim out the piece.

Step 3. Clean any rough edges. Remove ALL undercoating around lip edges. Remove ALL sound-proof black stick-ons from interior lip edge. Remove ALL paint from lip edges. Weld in the battery pan. Grind the welds smooth.

Step 3. Bondo the welded perimeter. Sand and smooth it all out! Makes it look molded and factory. Who cares if nobody sees it! You'll know you did it right and not half-*****.

Step 4. Mask entire area. Protect from overspray.

Prep, prime, paint. I used Duplicolor generic RED spray can for my base coats over metal-etching primer. I then used Duplicolor Tornado Red spray I special ordered over the base coat to save the "matched paint". They are little 5 ounce cans that match well on the out side paint. Not very well to the under-sprayed seat pan, but the box is protected.

Step 5. Remove mask. Install battery. Route cables and harness' back to position. Everything fits in perfect. I used a real S2 battery cable
                        routed from the correct location in the engine bay's passenger side engine "fork", under the passenger side seat, and back to the battery. The second half of the harness runs along the drivers side to the fuse array under the dash. PLUG and PLAY!

Step 6. I used 3M brand 5200 series silicone sealant for the undercoating repair of the battery box. Stuff is awesome! Messy as all hell but sticks well to everything.

Step 7. Install new brake lines, and route new fuel lines to the mounts located on the battery box. I replaced all 3 of my fuel lines with 5/8 aluminum line from Summit since my lines were very rotten from 16 years of Ohio salt filled winters. I bought a good tube bender and flare kit. It helps to run the fuel line BEFORE you install the engine. I modified the fuel filter bracket to match a real S2 unit from a photo (which I have lost, sorry) Replaced the rubber isolator bushings and installed.

All done!

Comment

Very nice job!
                          Leif-Helge
                          -91 S2 VEMS and Comp Turbo
                          -12 B** 530XD Touring "S2 parts transporter, and daily driver"

Comment

First time i've seen this, very nice project and looks like you've got a lot of the toys as well. I seriously like the front door cards, afaik they are LHD only which is a real shame as they look a lot newer/better than what we got over here.

You going to try source some carbon for it or you got other plans atm?

Comment

Thanks...

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                              First time i've seen this, very nice project and looks like you've got a lot of the toys as well. I seriously like the front door cards, afaik they are LHD only which is a real shame as they look a lot newer/better than what we got over here.

You going to try source some carbon for it or you got other plans atm?

I have a few extra wood trims and was thinkinbg of applying my own carbon cloth to them and using clear expoxy resin to seal them. Although if I find a complete set that is reasonable in price I would consider just buying them. They are so expensive and I sorta like the Elm wood with the black overall color.

I added a few other extras to the car that US spec cars never saw in the USA.

Comment

Working...
                              X