K24R Replica OE Dials / Dial Faces - Pics & Fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K24R Replica OE Dials / Dial Faces - Pics & Fitting

Thanks to Bo for a very detailed dial fitting guide here, no point re-writing this one. I've got a few things to add and some pics of the dials before during and after, also a couple of tips along the way.

Here are the dials that were sent off as templates and the new dials, almost impossible to tell tehm apart:-

Here's the instrument binacle diassembled:-

The dials before removal, you can see that my speedo is just starting to go:-

Here's a method to remove the needles, it works a charm :-

Speedo & Temp Gauge are now changed, half way there:-

If, like me, you have OCD then the screw heads have to line up :-

Here's how the enlarged centre holes can be used to fit without removing the fragile needles:-

Here's 2 methods of fitting the smaller dial faces, method one uses the old face and a pair of pliers to press teh nre face onto the original mounting boss, this requires extreme care!!! :-

And the method I used, 2 tiny pieces of double sided tape, workes superbly. DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE!!! :-

All done, time for assembly (it's the reverse of removal don't ya know ):-

Nearly there:-

Phew, all done and a great job if I say so myself, chuffed with the OE results:-

And some illumination pics:-

A few things to add.

I should have used either the original centre of the dial or some blanking paper on the centres, having the larger hole is good for those fitting them but make sure you fill it with something. If you cut the OE dial faces off then the centre section will be perfect for the job.

When re-fitting the dial needles (if that's the route you take) put them on with a higher than 0 reading loosely, then slowly and carefully rotate around to zero before pressing home.

The dial needles on the smaller dials are sel-locating.

If your dial illumination is poor then take this opportunity to replace the bulbs
    Last edited by Rusty; 12 February 2010, 09:18.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

certainly look very OEM well done. Yep get the point on the centres but not sure what you could fill them with...?
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Would it be possible whilst the face and needles off to use some tippex and run a small bit around there? you can get a thick but smooth finish if you do it right, let it dry and try that?

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

The Bristol winter famine is proving especially harsh this year
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

As this problem exists on any dial with enlarged centre bore the manufacturer has an existing solution which I'm being sent to try. If the solution works then I'll include some

3 course meal and a late night snack from each set

Just seen these at night and they're smart
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Right, I've received the solution to the centre light issue and it'll work a treat. Will get some from the manufacturer, current ones are black but I'll ask for white and see where we get to.

Pictures of the installation and night illumination this week I hope
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Hello Rusty,

Have i still got a chance of getting a set of dials from you & at what price...

Regards
              Khan

Comment

Yes, see the thread in my sig, currently at 10% discount!
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I fitted mine this afternoon and took your advice about the light on the speedo needles so I cut all but a square in the center of the old dials so that they would still screw down and cover the area where the larger hole were. Looks alot better than my old peeling dials too
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Great stuff Greg, glad you like them

I always supply some stickers to cover the hole in the centre, if you're feeling less artistic
                    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                    X