K24R Recaro Seat Subframes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K24R Recaro Seat Subframes

As per this thread, 3 years ago Recaro decided to discontinue their subframes for the B4 chassis, causing a headache for anyone wanting to fit aftermarket Recaro seats to their car without a lot of fuss and effort. To be clear, this does not affect RS2 or Coupe Recaro seats as they are a single unit.

With this in mind and following on from developing a subframe to fit Recaros to a friend's B5 S4 (same NLA issue), I thought I'd ask on here if there was a requirement for some subframes suitable for fitting aftermarket Recaro seats to the S2, like Speeds, Pole Positions etc. The frames can be used to fit any off the shelf aftermarket Recaro seat or can be adapted to fit Mitsubishi seats (as I've done on the S4). While I've not yet found out the mounting hole positions for Sparco, Cobra or Corbeau, the frame design can be adapted to any of these manufacturers and made to order, should the requirement exist.

Having seen the crude product available from Corbeau and Cobra I decided to actually apply thought to the design of the subframe and have made it lighter and stronger for a similar sale price. The subframes are a solid mount into the original seat mounting points on the floor, sill and transmission tunnel and then use the Recaro universal runners to provide forward and backward movement. For track use the runners can be omitted on the passenger side to further drop the CoG of the passenger. A fixed seat position is also possible on the driver’s side to achieve improved head room, this requires some additional information though. (even with the Recaro frame on the lowest setting, my head still brushes the roof, a lower seat would be required for anyone over 6' who want to be comfortable / safe).

The Cobra & Corbeau frames I've seen sit very high, higher than the Recaro items(!) as Big Lee and quattro Dan will testify and higher than the standard seats on the lowest setting - which is too high for most on track with a helmet and is not ideal.

From my estimations, the seat should sit 2" lower without runners, 1" lower than stock with runners. There is no height adjustment but then this is a fairly standard trade-off when using aftermarket seat frames. Any additional height can be added using machined spacers or modified design to your specification.

Projected cost is £99 each (not including runners), I'll need to look into delivery option to see if that includes P&P or not. This is a function of small batch size leading to increased cost.

Please indicate your interest in this thread, stating the type of seat that you want to fit and what car it's going into.
    Last edited by Rusty; 4 August 2010, 12:47.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

I'm definitely interested...LOL!!

Can't wait to get the seats fully fitted in the S4.
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Trophy
    1999 Audi S4 (B5) - Sold

Comment

So what have you made? a set of runners that you weld down to the floor plan of the car or some runners that fit the OEM channels already there?
      Chef

Comment

Bolt in frame, not weld in, although you could weld in the blocks for a more rigid setup if you're not too worried about taking them out in a hurry. You then use the universal twin locking side runners if you want the seat to move forwards / backwards (as you would with all but the Recaro subframes). These are in the racing shell catalogue and are designed for all bucket seats but also work on the sports seats. The Mitsy seats use these as OEM so they can be bolted staright on.

I can sort weld in frames if required though, would need the floor plan beefing up somewhat to provide solid mounting points.
        Last edited by Rusty; 3 August 2010, 16:56.
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

i would be intrested for both passenger and driver with runners!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by konradwax View Post
            i would be intrested for both passenger and driver with runners!!!!
            What seats / car is this for please?
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I'd be interested in a set of brackets and sliders for the seats pictured to go into a B3 coupe quattro.

Comment

Wow! They look excellent! Best retrim job I've ever seen
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

+1. nice seat.

Comment

Those look awesome, well done

Can't wait to see mine, should be done this week fingers crossed

Will have to modify seat frames to fit though, would have liked to keep the height adjust-ability but heard the seats then sit too high which might be a problem..
                    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Which frames will you use Ryan? And surely show a picture when the seats are finished

Comment

As there was no interest, I never bothered with the design.

The mk.3 Golf Recaro subframes fit but need a little tweaking to make the seats sit true and level. That's the best way to go.

Nice seat
                        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Hmm.. I might have to track down some mk2 brackets. We didn't get mk3 cars over here with recaros.

Comment

They're available from Recaro.
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                              As there was no interest, I never bothered with the design.

The mk.3 Golf Recaro subframes fit but need a little tweaking to make the seats sit true and level. That's the best way to go.

Nice seat
                              would your brackets work with Recaro A8's?
                              Issam N. Abed
                              iABED Industries
                              iABED Email | Facebook
                              The build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X