V6 TDIs...experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 TDIs...experiences

After winter I'm looking to change my current daily. I'm wanting to get a diesel and I'm looking at B5 2.5 TDI quattros and similar age A6s (C5/6?). What are the V6 TDIs like in these cars? Wanting to get a quattro for Tow-car duties and was thinking that the V6 TDIs are still going to be more economical than my current daily as I seem to be doing quite large mileages these days for some reason. I'm not wanting to get a 1.9TDI as it might be a little bit too sensible, I'm also not interested in remapping a diesel.

Cheers for any insight.

Ciaran

i'm selling a 2.5tdi v6 allroad atm, nice car - as s2central knows atm nice when they go right but a pita when they go wrong.

Comment

i had a 98 v6 tdi 2wd, loved it to bits, loads of smooth power and economical with it. looking to get another at some point next year

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
        i'm selling a 2.5tdi v6 allroad atm, nice car - as s2central knows atm nice when they go right but a pita when they go wrong.
        Yeah, was looking at the Allroads as well, there is a certain something about them, it won't be until after winter that I get one though.

Any things that are common problems with them?

How often is the timing belt done?

Comment

Originally posted by ciaranthemurph View Post
          Yeah, was looking at the Allroads as well, there is a certain something about them, it won't be until after winter that I get one though.

Any things that are common problems with them?

How often is the timing belt done?
          cam wear is something that i've heard a few times
          injector pump
          needle lift sensor injector
          maf
          air suspension
          tiptronic box if you have one.

There was a thread on here recently with a lot of info.

Comment

Also soddin drivers door handle/catch! 57 pulls and it opens.. next time 24. All the ones I look after the customer just puts up with it..would drive me mad!

AVOID longlife serviced cars.

270.000 on brothers and still going!

Rob..
            94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
            87 UR 20v ABY
            97 S6 Avant
            96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
            1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Central air pump is 600 quid
              Cams, followers etc are 550 upwards for the full kit
              Front air springs are 200 ish each
              Injector #1 is about 200
              Timing belt parts are 200 and upwards - ever 80k miles with numerous special tools required
              The fuel pump is stupid money - haven't dared look that one up

A well sorted allroad is a great bus - but you will need deep pockets / plastic and more than average mechanical ability to tackle some large jobs when they come up

In 5 yrs I have had to do most of the big jobs above on mine. They are cheap as chips now but I bet that is people are shifting cars with problems or fear of pending doom.
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

@GT - yes well remembered... Had that on drivers side last winter now psg side playing up. Was 100 ish for new door lock. It feels like a losing battle sometimes.
                Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

This is an interesting thread to read, guy's been modding his but now finding problems with lobe's..

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/diesel-...rbochip-7.html

Comment

Only owner of the 2.5 V6 I know was happy with it, but has suffered from cam wear and now can't go too close to the redline without a lifter popping out
                    AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

I dont if this is much help or of real importance compared to the others but ive only worked on 3 v6 tdi's, 1 had a sump and all 3 had the N/S cylinder back cam cover gasket replaced.
                      96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
                      96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

The engine room is really tight on them. Oil leaks are seemingly common them too - sweaty gaskets and those confounded diseasel leakback pipes which seem to need replaced every year.

It is a great engine though from driveability point though - nice fat torque curve around 430Nm and goes well off the mark when required - for a diesel tank. Brilliant for towing.

Clattery like hell when cold and changing fuel filter usually requires an airlock in the fuel to be rectified.
                        Paul Nugent

Comment

Well maybe I'll be giving the allroad a bit of a wide berth then. There are plenty about for much cheapness, but now I see why. This is supposed to be a fairly sensible daily plodder, a normal flavour A4 or A6 might be the better option. I could possibly be persuaded by the 130TDI engine. Really just wanting a decent sized estate with room for parts in the back. I have to have at least one sensible car, or I could get an S2 avant.

Comment

A4 is too wee

The 1.9 donkey isn't immune to camshaft woes either but the cost and complexity of repairing that is ~half of the V6.

You might be lucky and find an A6 or allroad that has been well looked after and is just coming to mileage where most people want to get rid. Deffo try to get one without longlife servicing - unless the cams have already been done.
                            Paul Nugent

Comment

@pete, any chance you'd drop me a pm with some details of your allroad sometime.

Re the airbellows there's a company in the states that do a replacement bellow with a lifetime warranty. I'll get a link now in a while and throw it up. I think a lot of the problems have been well thrashed out by now. v6 allroad is a lovely place to be IMO.

EDIT: Arnott Industries
                              Last edited by s2_wot; 4 November 2010, 00:13.
                              Shane

Comment

Working...
                              X