HP2 caliper clean up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP2 caliper clean up.

Been slowly upgading my A6 2.5 TDI. Got fed up with the useless standard brake set up ( solid front discs on a 1400 kg car FFS!!!!!!)
    Bought a complete HP2 set up from the S6 Spink was breaking. The calipers were rusty to say the least but in good condition.
    I used to clean the parts on my mk1 gti the same way using electrolysis.

Parts needed-

PLASTIC tub/bucket/washing up bowl- I use a stackable plastic storage box.
    Battery.
    Battery charger.
    old brake disc.
    jump leads.
    Soda Crystals.
    Water.

caliper at start

Depending on the item being derusted, fill the container with enough water to cover the item then add the soda crystals (i use a ratio of 62.5g/ litre )
    Because the system works by line of sight i used two rusty old brake discs either side of the caliper.

With the charger connected to the battery the + side connected to the disc (anode) and the - side to the item to be derusted (cathode)
    As soon as you connect the terminals up the process will begin and you with see the bubbles start.

I left the caliper in for 5 hours total, checking every hour.

The picture of the derusted caliper is after it has been washed clean of the solution.
    The rust flakes left on it can be removed with a fingernail and final cleaning will be done with a wire brush tomorrow!!
    Comparison of before and after

Having done this with calipers before the process does not damage the piston and slider rubbers, all i did was block the flexi hose so not solution could get inside.

The results look really good. I've wanted to try this process for myself a while now.

Comment

Once set up its leave it till its finished!!
      The flakey rust just peels off and the surface rust just disappears - the tank is filthy and if you look at the 2nd pic at the rear discs surface you can see the rust/scum that has attached itself just above the water line.
      oh yes it cost a grand total of £1.30!!!!!

Comment

Great work! i may give that a go too. What happens if you increase the ratio a bit?
        91 S2 coupé - RIP
        98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Originally posted by s2_bo View Post
          Great work! i may give that a go too. What happens if you increase the ratio a bit?
          You add soda crystals to get the ammeter on the battery charger about halfway on the scale, that was where i got my ratio from.
          - the more you add the higher the current- the quicker it will work but adding too much can burn the parts if that makes any sense.

I added about a cupful of vinegar half way through the process which got the bubbles foaming more after they seemed to be getting less.
          Apparently concrete or driveway cleaner works well too, not tried this method tho.

Its that cheap to do it might be worth experimenting on old rusty parts and seeing what works for you.

Comment

Cool, nice method... I've got a 4ft mortar tub at work, might this on my 3B block
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
            X