Which rings for OE pistons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which rings for OE pistons?

which rings have people used on bottom end rebuilds with OE pistons? OEM sets are comedy priced so a total no-go.

Who's using what with good results?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

I'm looking into this, i've heard from someone that it might be possible to use golf gti 16v piston rings but i've not checked yet. As soon as I find out a decent priced source i'll add in.

Comment

AFAIK the golf pistons are the same size?

I've heard Total Seal are good..... if you can get them to seat properly
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I thought about these but have heard more bad cases than good so far so doubt i'll bother.

Comment

I used Kolbenschmidt on the advice of RWD19T. They weren't the cheapest but are cheaper than the dealer. Not sure who is the OEM manufacturer. Could be KS or possibly Mahle?
          '93 S4 Avant now back on the road complete with new shiny go faster bits.

Comment

You can pickup the Kolbenschmidt (KS) rings from GSF and probably Euro Car parts. For our motors you will need two packs as each pack is supplied with four sets of rings.
            The pack I have here was for standard bore (81.0mm) OE comparison - 026 198 151B
            Suitable for a whole host of vehicles Audi 100/1.8/2.0/2.2 Quattro 2.2/200 2.2/A6/RS2/S2/S4/S6/VW Caddy/Cordoba/Corrado/Golf/Seat Ibiza/Passat/Toledo/Vento, etc, etc...

Details off the box for reference - 81x1.5/1.75/3mm
            80 00010 4 2 000
            (50 011 749)

This is possibly the GSF reference part number - 16546

IIRC they cost about £35 for a set of 4 rings + Vat

HTH
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Thats helped a lot steve, looks like i'll be getting two packs soon

Comment

I have two spare sets of rings. Give me a shout if you want one to add to a pack of four. That will save you buying two packs and having spares doing very little like mine!
                91 Modded 3B

Comment

I'll have one if thats ok, i've got to come down to see you soon with your packages

Comment

Thanks Steve, I'll have one too if thats ok? PM sent
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

no problem chaps. Unless you're in a real rush for them I'll stick them in the post later this week or sometime between Christmas and the New Year. I doubt they will cost much to send, so you can have them as a late Christmas present from Santa
                      91 Modded 3B

Comment

Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

witch piston ring? I always use GEOTZE they are very good , and you can chose how hard do you want they be. 3 step of hardenes . on my last total rebuild of engine decide to use most harder . PERFECT..
                          and they are around 100 euro (set of 5).

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                            no problem chaps. Unless you're in a real rush for them I'll stick them in the post later this week or sometime between Christmas and the New Year. I doubt they will cost much to send, so you can have them as a late Christmas present from Santa

Up to you, as mentioned gotta pop down soon to see you with your bits anyways so whatever is best.

Comment

What goes around comes around
                              91 Modded 3B

Comment

Working...
                              X