B4 Avant - 2.0E to 2.2T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B4 Avant - 2.0E to 2.2T

Hey guys...long time reader and I figured it's about time I said hi and introduced my project...I'm also at a point where I'll need a lot of this forum's wisdom with my project... I've kept update threads on other forums but I'll try to sum it all up here...

'Gianna' is an import from Italy (hence the italian name) that came here as a diplomatic vehicle...I then got her through a weird exchange of car for labour sort of thing back in september and have been trying to get her road worthy since....my insurance company refused to put her on the road because the VIN wasn't in their system....anyways finally got everything sorted out (had to switch 4 cars and 2 properties to a new insurance company just to get this one insured) thanks to a fellow Audi driver...

Here's how she came to me...

and here she is now...

the 2.0 feels like it needs a better tune and def a cam....the gears are extremely long which doesn't help much but i`m hoping a passat 1.8t tranny will fit in there....the engine passed e-test with flying colors which was very surprising but i had some issues with fuel delivery - solved using a Walbro in-tank pump....

As it sits the car is being prepared for Targa Newfoundland in 2011 so I had to get started on the cage...its being built by Targa veteran Glen Clarke (http://www.openroadmotorsports.com).

just the beginning...doing it in two parts - this is the back obviously...the seats are a bit low but that's my fault - I was a bit too optimistic with my height when I went in for the fitment...also apparently the G Force harness I had which is the latch type doesn't work with the CARS rules so I gotta get a new one...painted the back and re-did the seat mounts...the interior will be repainted again in white when the cage is done....

also got a straight pipe done - my god for such a little engine it certainly makes a lot of noise...

here's a video of what is sort of sounds like - you might want to scroll towards the end - not sure why I had to post the whole thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JhRIwPZbeQ

also got some interior bling...

Contains:

+

here I am at Shannonville...the car is very well behaved in corners but there's just no balls for the straights...

here I'm chasing a buddy in his 24v Mk4 GTi...you can tell he can't drive very well because I'm on his *** the entire time with a 100hp difference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92rwVzjZya8

more interior bling (clearly the reclining seats are not acceptable in any racing environment)

and of course I had to shoot a video of me taking the dash apart so they can work on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwz0syVdZfk&hd=1

All right here's the most recent news - Eurotrash Motorsports officially announced our participation in the 2011 Targa Newfoundland race. The car of choice is of course Gianna and we will be running the race on behalf of the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) - here's a few things that will need to be done beforehand:

1. AAN swap - I've decided that the 90 (or so) hp that the 2.0 offers is not enough to be competitive in any class at Targa. On the other hand I don't want to race Open Class because the people there have budget and experience way beyond mine...it would be useless to even try for podium there... This is why I chose the AAN - originally I was going to build up a 1.8T since I have enough parts to put together at least two of them...the problem is that engine was never offered with that body which automatically puts me in Open Class. AAN is about the best choice of engines that will keep me within 3rd group modern class. I am currently in the process of generating the parts list for the build but i`m aiming for anywhere between 250 and 300hp. Here is a quick video of the donor car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkiQO1C4Wi0

Unfortunately I won't have time to do a quattro swap before the race, which means that I have to stick with FWD (blaaaaaaah) for this year...I am, however, taking the driveline off the UrS4 so quattro will be the first thing to be done next year...

2. 1.8T tranny - let's recap - I have a longitudinal engine with a FWD drive line - not much choice in terms of tranny...the problem with the current one is it will likely not withstand the power of the new engine and its horribly geared...if you watch some of the earlier videos from the track you`ll notice a major drop between 2nd and 3rd gear - that is unacceptable in any shape or form if we're racing the clock...a tranny off a FWD B5 passat (or audi) is about my only choice at the moment...at least they are readily available and I can get an LSD for it as well....

3. Brakes - the ABS has got to go...that will free up some good space up front and will eliminate a lot of wiring inside the car....I`ll pass new brake lines through the car and the hand brake will be eliminated in its current form. It will be replaced by a hydraulic handbrake that will make things a little easier in a rally environment.

4. Interior - You guys already have an idea of what the car looks like - I might have t swap the dash off the UrS4 so I can use the stock speedometer...the front of the cage should be finished by now (http://www.openroadmotorsports.com) but I am 5000km away from the car for the next 2 months so no pics yet...This time the entire interior will be painted and I am convinced that white will be a better color than black....so I`ll be repainting the cage as well...

5. Suspension - sigh...no clue what i`m doing with this yet...this car is not usually found in NA so i'm not sure who carries anything for it in FWD version anyways - there are options for the quattro but I'll have to deal with this almost first thing...

6. Exhaust - 3" straight pipe with a cat - the rules require the cat there but the rest is open to whatever I want...

Anyways...here's a little theoretical sequence of events - starting April 1st and hopefully finished by the end of May

1. Take engine out of UrS4
    2. Buy 1.8t tranny and ensure it fits
    3. Check tranny fitment with drive shafts etc
    4. Order parts - pistons, rods, valves, LSD, clutch, flywheel, hydraulic handbrake, turbo, manifold
    5. Send AAN for machining
    6. Take engine out of 80
    7. Remove ABS
    8. Build AAN up
    9. Mount in 80
    10. Pray that everything fits as planned
    11. Drink beer
    12. Test

If everything goes as planned I will have between 2 and 3 months during the summer to hammer out all the little things that will come up during the swap....

I will be posting everything here of course but feel free to check http://www.eurotrashmotorsports.com and http://www.openroadmotorsports.com for more information on the race etc.

Also - here's the first of the series of newsletters we are releasing addressing our participation at Targa Newfoundland...

http://eurotrashmotorsports.com/ETMNewsLetter.pdf

phew...I think this is the longest post I've ever done....I am really hoping to get some help with the shopping list for the AAN swap - any suggestions are welcome...
    Last edited by NiTeC; 30 September 2011, 01:12.

Now that's an entrance to make...Welcome along, your project looks really interesting and the 80 had an interesting history before you got it.
    Shane

Comment

Impressive, very impressive.
      It'd be pretty funny to see a FWD AAN as well if you manage to do it.

Good luck.
      http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

I've got a few ideas about converting to Quattro but we'll have to wait and see...a lot of people are saying this platform in FWD will be garbage but it really handles well so I can't wait to see it with bigger balls...

Comment

I was going to mention, if it was quattro it would be my drem car...
          Where in Ontario are you?
          We have monthly meetings in Etobicoke (west of Toronto) every month for the early car enthusiasts.

Cheers
          www.quattro.ca
          B2: 82 Urq into Sport quattro, 82 4000 2-door, 83 80q 2 Door, 83 Ur-q CDN, 85 Ur-q Euro with 3B, 86 4kq, 59,000km
          B3/B4: 91 CQ, 93 90q 2.5TDI, 94 80q avant 2.5tdi, 94 S2 Avant

Comment

Ottawa...and yeah - if it was quattro it would have been amazing...but its not...but it will be still as far as I know its the only one in North America so still pretty unique and cool...

Comment

Originally posted by NiTeC View Post
              Ottawa...and yeah - if it was quattro it would have been amazing...but its not...but it will be still as far as I know its the only one in North America so still pretty unique and cool...
              I think you'll find there's a few in North America, I can think of one epic RS2 thread on here
              Shane

Comment

the way the car sits - its the only one (AFAIK) - 2.0E Avant FWD - it would be awesome if it wasn't of course...I don't doubt there's a few other configurations that were imported...

Comment

Originally posted by NiTeC View Post
                  the way the car sits - its the only one (AFAIK) - 2.0E Avant FWD - it would be awesome if it wasn't of course...I don't doubt there's a few other configurations that were imported...
                  Aha, I get you now, my bad

I was referring to this thread BTW
                  http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26534
                  Shane

Comment

Finally came home after 3 long months and immediately got to work...picked up the S6, got the B4 back from the cage builder and cleaned the garage...

of course - pics for clicks...

The cage is built to rally specs so its mucho beefy...

I gotta clean up the car and paint the interior asap to prevent any corrosion...

Comment

when you will be making the quattro conversion, use all the parts from an A4 B5, avant or limo is the same.
                      Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Originally posted by Sküll View Post
                        when you will be making the quattro conversion, use all the parts from an A4 B5, avant or limo is the same.
                        Agree with this.

Also tonk's on here is running a s2 lump on a stock fwd box and that cars quick as hell as there's no drivetrain to rob power. Its not as bad as people would expect.

One thing you will find is there is little differences with the urs4 stuff that you will have to overcome, but nothing too major. urs4 dash i'd expect to be wider like almost everything on the car.

You will need to uprate the brakes, porsche callipers and focus rs discs with custom brackets work.

Comment

hmmm...a B5 drivetrain? that's news....I'm about to drop the rear of the S6 and get the diff to have a look see how different it is....it is my understanding that the B4 stuff 'should' be a direct bolt-on to the FWD chassis but I'm in no big hurry to make it quattro....as long as I get an LSD for the 1.8T tranny this car will hug corners like no-ones business....surprisingly even after the cage it's incredibly light...

Comment

all right...lots of work done today...engine is ready to come out as soon as I pick up the engine hoist tomorrow...

here's where we started...

and here's where I stopped...

looks like the car took a hit on the right side...the main beam was bent and the right-side mount is ripped...

having some trouble reaching the 4th bolt on the exhaust pipe...I got the cats off but it looks like the downpipes will have to stay in while I'm taking the engine out because it's impossible to reach this damn thing...any suggestions?

and let's play 'name that part'...looks like a control 'something' for the AC/rad fan but those don't look like the relays I had in my MK4

engine out tomorrow and stripped to the bone...the shopping list comes after and a quick call to 034...once everything is ordered the B4 goes into the garage and the 2.0 comes out along with everything else from inside that car...

Comment

as far as i know that "name the part" bit is the relay for the main rad fan? I could be mistaken tho so dont quote me!

Comment

Working...
                              X