Oman Pics, Hunter, Jaguar 1970's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oman Pics, Hunter, Jaguar 1970's

After reading the Lancaster thread I thought some may appreciate these photos.

My dad flew for the RAFO ( Royal Air Force of Oman ) for some time in the 70's and after returning there in the 80's he sadly lost his life whilst out flying a Hunter.

It was 25 years since his death a month ago and I posted the pictures on a Aviation Forum and have spoken with people who were ground crew and part of the model club that he was a member of.

I was only 6 when he lost his life and as I was so young I have always felt that I didn't know the whole story of his time there, having some of his friends from there help fill in the gaps has been a fantastic and emotional time and I look forward to having some spare time to go through some more of the thosuands of photographs he took.

Anyway here are some of the uploaded pictures, I am sure I will have several questions to answer once you have a look through them so I'll do my best to explain what I can.

Thanks for looking

Comment

Awesome pics, an glad you shared them.

Comment

Amazing pics mate, and obviously a very personal story to go with them.
        Im not sure if youve tried, but you might be able to clean them up a bit with photoshop.
        Im happy to have a play around for you if you have any particular ones

Comment

Thanks mate

I'm no good with photoshop and there are probably many I'd like to get cleaned up so if you don't mind I will send some full res ones over when my old pc is backup and working.

Comment

amazing pictures! Thank you very much!
            1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

No problem, you only have to ask

Comment

Here's a few 50/50 shots to show you how Photoshop can improve them for you!

Comment

Blimey, thats a mega improvement !

Comment

Great pictures... I have fond memories as a kid at air shows in the 70s watching lightnings, vulcans, nimrods and the BoB tribute - and those chaps in 9 lil red jets...
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Oh and jaguars too - just saw a pic - knew there was something missing. Cool
                      Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Fantastic pictures.
                        Worked in Oman myself but a little more recently than that!

Paul, how old do you feel now knowing that those Nimrods are still flying and I have the pleasure, ,to work on them?
                        Dave

'93 ABY coupe

Comment

I thought all the Nimrods had reached end of life already - mmm - maybe why they so much 'fun' to work on
                          Paul Nugent

Comment

One variant of the Nimrod has gone as of last year but we're still going strong.
                            And are temperamental, very much like the S2 at times!
                            Dave

'93 ABY coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                              Fantastic pictures.
                              Worked in Oman myself but a little more recently than that!

Paul, how old do you feel now knowing that those Nimrods are still flying and I have the pleasure, ,to work on them?
                              Thanks

Whats Oman like now ? I'd love to go back but now probably isn't the best time tbh

Comment

Working...
                              X