6 speed linkage repair??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 speed linkage repair??

I really need to refresh my 6 speed linkage, the ball and socket is like a prick in a bucket.

Anybody know where to get new bushes, (OEM or aftermarket is fine)

If this is something that isn't readily available, i wonder if Rusty or Bambridge has looked into it??
    Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
    03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
    01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Maybe this? http://www.034motorsport.com/chassis...sis-p-355.html
    RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Ahh, i should have specified, its the ball and socket linkage joint on the gearbox thats sloppy, not the one on the transmission tunnel. I already have a B5 S4 short shifter kit ready to fit.

Thanks anyway though

Comment

Should be fairly straightforward to make up a rose joint kit?
        RS2+ (now sold...)

Comment

Good thread. Mine is also really crappy. And I havn´t found out how to fix it.

Comment

+1, my linkage will be out and at the moment I'm looking at OEM new replacement for £300+ and a terrybulwon bush, or hopefully can find a replacement balljoint used or custom new. I'll document whatever I do but it won't be for 2 weeks...
            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Get some pics of the linkage up and we'll see what sort of thing might work Not seen what Terry has done, I'm sure it'll be in his build thread though.
              Cheers'en, AndyC
              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I have a uniball in mine, same as James one. It required a fair bit of fettling to get it to work as the uniball is at its limits of movement in order to select every gear, ideally you would use a high-misalignment joint, or a bigger joint but neither will fit into the machined ball joint cup on the linkage - or you could machine up a bigger cup to receive a larger joint. IIRC James said he cut the ball joint cup off the linkage to machine it to accept the uniball, and used mine as a jig to re-weld it back together afterwards, and even then I had to bend mine a fair bit to make it work, but its great now and ZERO slack in it.
                Its do-able but not as easy as it sounds. An easier solution would be a custom nylon bush to replace the knackered one in the linkage.
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

How would I go about getting a custom nylon bush made up? I'd be happy to get a batch of 10-20 done in one go, I'm sure there would be enough demand to recoup the costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    Get some pics of the linkage up and we'll see what sort of thing might work Not seen what Terry has done, I'm sure it'll be in his build thread though.
                    Spink has one for sale, maybe he would lend it to you for a few days so you could take some measurements off it. I'm sure that if you and Kev could come up with a replacement socket there would be a huge demand for it.
                    sigpic
                    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Hello.
                      I must take some pics but I just mount one from a S4 sedan TDI and only one problem if I mount that, the second gear.
                      But if I will change one piece, the piece that U must mount on a 034MS shortshift, the problem desappear.

PS: I broken completely my linkage and I would come back at home with only 5 gears and puting they very slowly.
                      BUT, how can my car runs on 5th gear
                      photobucket SUCKS
                      sigpic

Comment

As Alex has covered.

A rose jointed linkage is not plug and play. I done Alex's as a favour for using his as a jig and its well over £150's worth of work before parts.

If any one wants a rose jointed linkage i will happily copy mine but your looking at £250 ball park. I have given the cup and ball to a nylon bush company to see if they can help, i'll chase them next week i must have had 20 PM's regarding this but work is dictating my life at the minute.

Cheers James
                        Chef

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                          +1, my linkage will be out and at the moment I'm looking at OEM new replacement for £300+ and a terrybulwon bush, or hopefully can find a replacement balljoint used or custom new. I'll document whatever I do but it won't be for 2 weeks...
                          I told you mate, i've got a spare rear half of the linkage sitting around in good condition.

Comment

Pete once again you're a star... I'm sorted but still interested in that replacement nylon bush for future use

Comment

I think a replacement nylon bush is the way forward, and like others have said, i think there is definitely the demand for it if it is reasonably priced, combined with James's other linkage bush could be a complete linkage refresh kit.!

Comment

Working...
                              X