bottom door rubber strip manufacture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bottom door rubber strip manufacture

the doris's father owns a rubber molding company and this came up in conversation with rs2315(steve) and gt500(rob) the other day when i was doing a geo on steve's rs2

i have given him a pair of front door moldings to price up making a tool and to identify the rubber which its made from and how the steel insert is bonded to it.

if this went ahead what sort of numbers are we talking? once a tool is made its not a massive job to set up for doing small batchs of say 10 sets?

while we are looking at materials is there anything better to make them out of?

do they actually need to be rubber?

feel free to add any opinions or if anyone is already looking at this make it known

cheers

Will

mods i might have posted this in the wrong section, please feel free to move it

Comment

corrected...looks interesting. I think it would need to be made of something semi pliable to allow for insertion ontot he car unless other mounting solution is chosen of course. If there is a better rubber/material for being able to apply paint to that might interest some on here too.

Cheers
      David
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Definitely interested. I would also ask if there was an option to do something more solid that would mount by sliding on without the metal insert seeing as that seems to be the problem part. Of course if you could have a stainless or alloy insert that would be perfect too.
        Paul
        __________________________________________________ ______

RS2 Ragusa Green and a Sunbeam Lotus for the summer weekends.

Comment

If you retain the metal inserts use stainless or aluminium. Would plastic strips be doable?

Guess a lot will come down to price, could ask him how much for a batch of 10, 20, 50 and see what interest there is at what price.
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

I would be interested.

its quite handy being rubber if you park anywhere near high kerbs and the bottom of the door scrapes.
            Volcano ABY coupe

Ant

Comment

I recently spoke with Audi and was told that all rubber lower door mouldings are now obsolete for the RS2.
              We all know these strips have a limited life span, so at some point replacements are going to be needed.

Would be good for some European members to show some interest and of course the lads back home.

Would love to see this work, then we can all give Audi a bit of this

Scribble your name if interested.

rs2315.
              sigpic

Comment

I would probably be interested. Im sure if the quality was there it could be quite a lucrative business opportunity given the No. of our cars use these.

Comment

I'm interested.

Comment

Me too.
                    Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

I would be interested depending on price and material being used cause I have replaced them once already. They just do not last. Would you be doing just the lower doors, or all 6 pieces?
                      Last edited by rpmiii; 24 June 2011, 03:49.

Comment

Like the idea of aluminum of steel for the brackets or the rubber changed to a pliable plastic.
                        Last edited by rpmiii; 24 June 2011, 17:21.

Comment

A full set would be ideal, but the door pieces are the worst. They were replaced on my car a few years back under previous ownership, and already the passenger side door could do with replacing.

I'd look at it a big like the wagner items - even if they're not cheaper that OEM, as long as they are a direct replacement and if possible a long-life enhanced version, it's still better value and it's ensuring there are moulds with 3rd parties to support these cars into the future. Audi aren't going to so it's up to the community to push this!
                          AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

bottom door rubber strip manufacture

Im iterested just replaced mine two mnths ago at £77.59 a pair only a few of each left
                            with audi i wonder can your contact do a door card moulding for the four rubber seals would make a good profit loads want them i bought the last one in the uk for front left just got two more from a guy in italy on a group buy that as took seven mnths can,t get the fourth one would be great iff he could.

Comment

im interested, they can be made of pretty much any material as far as i care as they will be painted, as long as they fit on origianal door pins id snap them straight up off ya!

Comment

Working...
                              X