Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info for KW V2 owners.....

FYI...

Recently ive been battling to get some replacement shocks for my KW V2's (Thread was badly damaged on top of shock shaft)

Ive shed a little light on the reasons behind the V2 being no longer produced. Basically KW V2's have Koni adjustabel inside.
    KW and Koni have had a falling out due to a Koni quality issue leading to KW owing Koni Money, so both parties got 4r$ey, or something along those lines. KW can no longer get the shocks for the V2, so now only produce V1 and V3.
    Since the fallout Koni have now stopped producing the shock P/N that was used in the V2's.

Having spoken to both parties i have been left with only two options for my KW's

KWs offer: BOGOF on V1 legs (all minus springs). (= 2 rear legs for about £200)
    Koni's offer: Use an approved Koni Workshop to rebuild the Koni inserts with new shafts. (£75ish per shock)

Obviously the first option is not bad, but its not ideal as i end up with V1 rear insteads of V2 (if i wanted V1's i'd have bought V1's...)
    The Koni recommended workshop (raceline suspension) seem to know their 5H!t when it comes to suspension, and he seems to think he will be able to get hold of a longer shaft from a different shock from Koni and machine it to length to match the old ones.

Im going to persue the rebuild option first, and will keep you updated with what happens.
    Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
    03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
    01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Just FYI, incase someone needs it in the future. The part numbers for the Koni adjustable used in the KW variant2 is 8610-1356kw
    Which I have an incline that it is the same shock as a 8610-1262spd1 don't quote me on that but by process of elimination that is the only shortened Koni top adjustable shock absorber that has ever been available for the 80 chassis. (AFAIK kw never had specially made shocks they just had existing available shocks re-stamped. Both of the above parts are now NLA. HTH

Comment

Thanks for sharing the result of your findings with us, very informative indeed. Presumably since the fallout between KW and Koni over V2 quality issues that Koni is no longer the preferred supplier across KWs product range? If that is the case do you know who supplies shocks to KW now?

Good luck with getting you shocks sorted. I'm sure you'll get the results you are looking for.

Comment

i used raceline to get my Koni shocks serviced. Very good service from them all round!
        1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

Originally posted by willg54 View Post
          i used raceline to get my Koni shocks serviced. Very good service from them all round!
          Thanks Will, that gives me confidence, just sent my shock inserts to Paul Drake @ Raceline today. Hopefully he will sort them.

Not sure who makes KW shocks now? I doubt they make their own?

Also I have made a tool (32mm Hex boss on top, 4 hardened 6mm pins in bottom, 23mm hole up the middle) to remove the shock cap from KW legs. Seemed to work for me (had to hang off a 7 foot long scaffold pole to crack it!!) If anyone needs to borrow it in the future let me know.

Comment

does this mean all V2 for all models are NLA or just for the 80/90 chassis ?

Comment

Originally posted by re2500 View Post
              Thanks Will, that gives me confidence, just sent my shock inserts to Paul Drake @ Raceline today. Hopefully he will sort them.

Not sure who makes KW shocks now? I doubt they make their own?

Also I have made a tool (32mm Hex boss on top, 4 hardened 6mm pins in bottom, 23mm hole up the middle) to remove the shock cap from KW legs. Seemed to work for me (had to hang off a 7 foot long scaffold pole to crack it!!) If anyone needs to borrow it in the future let me know.
              Old post but did you get the Koni inserts refurbed?
              91 Modded 3B
              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Working...
              X