Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather Refurbishment DIY (loads of pic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Refurbishment DIY (loads of pic)

As some people have asked me how i redid my seats im gonna post here some pictures and how I did.

First a took out my seat´s from the car and went to my local upholstry guy who redid the foam in both backrest and seat, as the backrest was completly flat and the seat cushion where to soft as you could feel the metal support.

The things you will be needing for this job is as following:

Air compressor:

Paint gun, i used a SATA mini jet:

Maskingtape:

Mask:

Gloves:

Alcohol:

Microfiber cloth:

Miracle sponge:

Rug Upholstry:

Sanding paper 320 and 500 grit

Leathermaster B/C color (i used black)

Leathermaster Top 3 (gloss or non gloss I used the later one)

Leathermaster leather compound

Here is some picture of how the backrest looked before I went to the upholstry guy and change foam, and a picture after.

Before:

After:

First step

The first step is to vaccumclean the seats and remove all trimings on the side so it get easier to aplly paint everywhere, also you don´t mask things up as much.

Second step

Use gloves from here and forward

Clean the seats with the miraclesponge and a mixture of water and Albrite´s rug upholstry (1:5) spray the mixture on small areas and use the sponge to clean it (no pressure just gentle strokes) wipe the seats down with some microfiber cloth or what you have that dosen´t leave any contaminations.

Third step

After the seats have been cleaned, take a microfiber cloth and use T-red (alcohol) to take out any fat and grease

Step four

Apply the scratch remover everywhere you want to fill the cracks and such, use it in thin layer either with a brush or your fingers. Let is cure for 10-20 minutes or speed things up with a heat gun (i didn´t)

Step five

Take the mirka sandingpaper 320 or 500 (if you use the 320 you must use the 500 after) and sand down the leather compound you used in step four until it feels smooth.

Jump back and do step four again and five until you are satisfied, i filled my cracks about 5 time before i got satisfied.

Step six

Take the microcloth and wipe the seats one more time with T-red (alcohol)

Take a sponge and some dye and color up where the leather is really bad or missing (very white marks as you filled the bad parts with leather compound) Let it cure until it´s non sticky, apply everything very thinn.

Step seven

Take the masking tape and mask everything that you cant unscrew and wrap everything up that you don´t want to re-color.

Step eight

use gasmask for the following steps

Time to paint, fill your cap with paint and start painting the seats, use low pressure and paint severall thinn layers, after your satisfied let it cure for 12-24 hours.

Step nine

The paint should be cured and it´s time for the top 3 top coat, if you don´t use this the color will vanish in some time. You can use glossy or non-gloss, i used the non gloss as glossy leather looks dirty in my eyes.

Same thing with this move, apply thinn layers until you feel satisfied, I had to use extremlly light coats as i couldnt wait 12 hours for it to cure, Ive speeded it up with a heat gun and maybe let it cure for 4 hours or so. Nothing i recommend people to do but i was in a hurry that day.

Step ten

Take a microcloth and apply some leathermaster protection cream or any other brand and wipe it dry, re-assembled all the trimmings and re-install in car. Have maybe forgot something but just ask away.

Upholstry foam cost 45£ for each seat, and color, top coat and such I payed 55£
    Bought from a leatcher repair shop and got enough to take on the rear seat aswell.

So a total of 145£ (Had already the other products but say 45 quid more with protection cream, t-red, sanding paper, glovers, microcloth, sponge, tape and so)

Good Luck all !

Also for those who think this looks hard and just want that fresh look, this result can be attchived just by using the mraclesponge and some albrite rug mixture. Just use some protection cream afterwards

1995 Audi S6 - AAN (~350hp)
    2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)
    2008 Hyundai i30 - 1.6 CRDI (89hp)
    2011 KTM 990 SMR - custom tuned (120whp)

If these are before and after pics of the same seat then that is a brilliant result. Well done!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

They are indeed, the same side and seat

Thank you very much, never did this before but have a genuine car polishing interest so I thought i try. learning by doing
      2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Thanks very much for writing the guide, very useful and has given me lots of ideas!
        96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
        96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Brilliant!
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Great write up, thanks
            sigpic
            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

I once did this to a seat for a golf+ tech article I had to write. Same fantastic results except when it rained some of dye would come of and after half a year they looked real bad again so ended up replacing the leather in the end. Was from a reputable company so don't know if I had a bad batch or not but they never managed to answer my queries re the problems
              UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Thanks guys,

RWD19T: I can answer you instead, this is why you put on a clear coat as a final coat before using the seats... if you just dye them they will look the same after a couple of month as you say.
                2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

impressive result!
                  RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
                  RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
                  Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
                  High Octane website

Comment

Originally posted by Wrath View Post
                    Thanks guys,

RWD19T: I can answer you instead, this is why you put on a clear coat as a final coat before using the seats... if you just dye them they will look the same after a couple of month as you say.
                    They were coated with a sealant they provided. Like I said complete kit as I was writing an article manufacturer send me their top product. Might have had a bad batch don't know but just very wary now of magic restoration products. Be interesting to see how long it lasts mine was for around 6000-7000miles.
                    UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Sounds like a crappy product in my ears im afraid, and sealent and clearcoat isn´t the same thing... you can compare my restoration with painting a car, if you don´t clearcoat the base coat it will not last (except it´s a solid) but suppose you respray your car and use metalic and skip the clearcoat...

Can I ask what brand it was? you can PM me if you don´t want to write here...

I did this in nov. last year and it still looks good... have got back some leather cracks (no leather is smooth) but they are still solid black with no wear. Have lasted 6000miles. And it will last many more miles....
                      2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

The results look very impressive, and a great write-up as well
                        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

excellent work , & look like new
                          would you like to practice some more on mine

only joking
                          sigpic
                          Cab 2.3E
                          90q
                          URS6

Comment

Thanks mate, if you lived in Umea (Sweden) i could
                            2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Update: havent got around to take car of my leather as you need to after doing a refurb like above (using leather cleaner and conditioner once a month) But still looks really good, some cracks has come back but still looks awesome in my eyes as it looked like rubbish before. And it was 12 month ago... Havent got around to find the ultimate leather conditioner but the say that Leatherique, Pinnacle and Lexol is in the top range, have also seen great result with Meguiars product.

http://pirre.blog.se/2012/rekond-av-...i-a6-2-8-q-95/

Tempting to have a go with Leatherique, feels a little off that you use the conditioner first and then the cleaner...

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-care-how-to/

But it wont cost a fortune and many people are happy with it... my seats are a little stiff so maybe this is the way to go after a good repray...
                              Last edited by Wrath; 14 September 2012, 00:40.
                              2008 BMW 530xd (235hp)

Comment

Working...
                              X