50mm or 55mm shocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50mm or 55mm shocks?

I need to fit new shocks and don't know which size, the forum mentions both 50mm and 55mm as a possible dimension for the s2... But if I measure the strut, the inside is 50mm and the outside diameter is 55mm, the outside diameter of the shocks themselves is 50mm...
    So which would I need

I am also going to combine koni's with standard springs, is this a good idea/setup? Or is it really hard/stiff? Bilsteins would seem harder according to some threads and I don't want it to be really hard.

No one knows?

If the fronts and rears are the same, are they all 55mm?

Also, are the koni's 55mm?

I can't find it on their website, they are a bit scarce with info...

I've already read pretty much every topic on koni's on the forum, but can't find the answer I need...

Comment

What year is the car? Is it ABY or 3B?

Might get lucky and find someone with a strut lying about to measure
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I had a nightmare with mine, you are best off taking them off and measuring as 50 or 55mm units can end up on any year car really

Comment

Originally posted by Zeuswastaken View Post
          I need to fit new shocks and don't know which size, the forum mentions both 50mm and 55mm as a possible dimension for the s2... But if I measure the strut, the inside is 50mm and the outside diameter is 55mm, the outside diameter of the shocks themselves is 50mm...
          So which would I need

I am also going to combine koni's with standard springs, is this a good idea/setup? Or is it really hard/stiff? Bilsteins would seem harder according to some threads and I don't want it to be really hard.
          you have to measure the outside thread, that is the side you are looking for.
          Audi Quattro WR

Comment

I have them off, I just need to know what to measure.

Inside diameter of strut/ outside diameter of strut or outside diameter of the shock absorber itself... It's a 91' 3B btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Sküll View Post
              you have to measure the outside thread, that is the side you are looking for.
              Ok thanks, then I have 55mm, fronts are the same as the rears...

I can get both koni's and bilstein for around 500 euros, what is the main difference between the two other than that the koni's being adjustable?

Or does anyone know a place that sells them cheaper?:mischeif:

Comment

konis are harder, if you want more comfort then select bilstein
                Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Thanks

I ordered Bilsteins (I'm not a fan of a really harsh ride, don't want to go hopping over a railroad crossing with the tyres litterally not touching the road anymore )

Comment

good choice
                    Audi Quattro WR

Comment

I'm having trouble getting shocks at the moment and need a bit of clarity, with the strut apart which threaded part do I measure, the strut tube itself where threaded at top OR the strut cap, sorry if this is asked a thousand times just had a pair of Monroe reflex wich were to skinny for struts, and now I've a pair of Sachs coming as per the boge shock part number that I took out and he says 50mm shock, can post the boge part number when I get home if it helps at all ?
                      1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

Its the threaded section on the top, or the id of the strut cap. The shocks themselves are 49mm in diameter.
                        Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
                          Its the threaded section on the top, or the id of the strut cap. The shocks themselves are 49mm in diameter.
                          Will check when home thanks ,
                          1991 S2 3B Coupe, KW v1, solid sub frames, poly bushed, chipped, about 260 ish

Comment

Audi Quattro WR

Comment

and the 55mm one just for completeness

Attached Files
                              Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                              X