C4 UrS Servotronic Control Module info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C4 UrS Servotronic Control Module info

Many UrS-cars came from the factory equipped with a ZF steering rack with speed-variable assist. This system is called "Servotronic". The intent was to provide significant steering assist, aka "power steering" at low speeds but less and less assist as speeds increased. The amount of the assist is controlled by the Servotronic Control Module. Some people don't like it and disconnect Servontronic, either at the steering rack connector or by removing the relay. The connector location is as shown below.

Here is a Servotronic steering rack out of the car, showing the location of the connector (the black one) near where the steering column attaches to the rack:

There are at least two kinds of Servotronic control modules depending on the year of your UrS.

The 92 and 93 spec UrS4s have their Servotronic control modules located behind the dash above the glove compartment (the green module in the photo below). The PN for this module is 44397307B for the 92 and 93 spec UrS4s as shown in the photo, up to VIN PN 150000 (the end of the 93 MY run). To disable Servotronic on these cars, it is easiest to just disconnect the plug at the steering rack (location shown above).

Here is a close-up of the green contol module:

Base Photo courtesy of "ringbearer" (Dan T)

With the 94 UrS4 (VIN RN 000001 and above) and the 95 to 97 UrS6s, the Servotronic relay (PN 4A0907307B) was moved to Position 16 in the Auxiliary relay panel No.1, the black plastic "lunch box" under the hood. It is the "362" module shown in the diagram and photo:

Here is a close-up of the "362" control module:

Base photo courtesy of AudDudi.

My 98 C4 A6 V6 avant has Servotronic. The relay is in the same position as the UrS's "362" except it is labeled "357" on top and the PN is 4A0907307A as per the diagram above. Looks very much like the "605" in the photo below. The 4A0907307A is also the PN for the 94 spec C4 100 (and the 95-97 C4 A6 V6 cars). Here is what the "357" looks like inside (presumably all the others are similar (but subtly different):

Photo courtesy of Brdman.

Several people have found that the later C5 Servotronic Control Modules work in the 94 and newer UrS cars. This includes the 4B0907307 "392" relay that was in the early C5s and the later C5 "605" Servotronic Control Module (PN 4D0907307A). Both are reported to work in the 94 UrS4s and UrS6s to provide less assist at speed. (needs to be confirmed). Apparently later C5 models use the "628" relay (4B007307B) which supposedly provides lower boost. I cannot confirm this. If you can provide any info on the "628" module or a photo (showing the top and front), please chime in.

Photo courtesy of quattron8-JC

This lists shows how widely used the 605 (4D0907307A) module was used (where as the 392 was only used in the early C5 A6s) (both can be found in position 13 of the C5 relay plate):

To add to the "fun" (or confusion) there was also a 4D0907307 "356" control module that was dropped 01/02/2000 in favour of the 4D0907307A "605" module.

Photo provided by Mr.Mojo.

Here is a summary of the Servotronic Control Module part numbers. Now we need feedback on how well the C5 and maybe B7 modules work in our UrS-cars.

Thanks to John C (quattron8-JC) for starting this table and getting me to check and complete it.

More info about the C4 underhood relay and fuse box

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks to those who posted the photos and diagrams used in this post.
    Last edited by UrS4boy; 15 May 2012, 20:18.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Great info, as always from You
    Audi URquattro 4.2l, Dodge Charger 7.3l, Golf 4 TDI 4Motion

Comment

Great info. Thanks
      Audi A6 AEL 5cyl Quattro breaking.
      Audi A5 3.0tdi Quattro Stage 2

Comment

thanks for this info.... i does have the s6 97 c4.....!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shone190 View Post
          Great info, as always from You
          Thanks.

Comment

Interesting, pretty sure ours dosent have it. Going to have a closer look and see if it does but been disabled. I have driven a 3B with servotronic and it was horrid, i can see why Audi did away with it.
            91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
            93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
            94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
              Interesting, pretty sure ours dosent have it. Going to have a closer look and see if it does but been disabled. I have driven a 3B with servotronic and it was horrid, i can see why Audi did away with it.
              It is possible. I know of one RHD 94 UrS4 in New Zealand with no Servotronic. However, my friend Katie, the red-haired parts girl, tells me that there was a RHD C4 servontronic steering rack (or "steering gear" as she calls it). PN 4A2422065AK which was also used in the RHD V8s. If you have Servontronic, the control module should be in your underhood fuse and relay box (Relay Panel 1), position 16.

Opened New Zealand 94 UrS4 Relay panel 1 with missing control module in position 16.

LHD UrS6 with the 362 control module in position 16:

Comment

My 362 relay is broken. Been looking for a replacement, but the new ones are silly money. USD263 is the lowest I have found. I prefer not to buy 2nd hand ones from Ebay.
                It would be nice to have the Servotronic work again. My wife would appreciate it. I don't mind it.
                '96 UrS6 auto PRJ chipped E85
                '95 80Q AEB VEMS E85

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisAudi80 View Post
                  My 362 relay is broken. Been looking for a replacement, but the new ones are silly money. USD263 is the lowest I have found. I prefer not to buy 2nd hand ones from Ebay. It would be nice to have the Servotronic work again. My wife would appreciate it. I don't mind it.
                  You might want to try opening up your "362" and checking to see if there are any obvious soldering failures that you could repair.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                    You might want to try opening up your "362" and checking to see if there are any obvious soldering failures that you could repair.
                    OK, thanks. I will try that.
                    '95 80Q AEB VEMS E85

Comment

OK, thanks. I will try that.
                      Chris,
                      I think i found the spare 362 relay.Do you still want it buddy?
                      one of a few I5 from Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by popdemonic View Post
                        Chris,
                        I think i found the spare 362 relay.Do you still want it buddy?
                        Yes, please.
                        Just tried to call you. Are you busy?
                        '95 80Q AEB VEMS E85

Comment

I just opened it. Cannot see anything obviously wrong with it. All the solders look OK.
                          Very small solders and chips.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by ChrisAudi80; 14 October 2012, 07:53.
                          '95 80Q AEB VEMS E85

Comment

I just opened it. Cannot see anything obviously wrong with it. All the solders look OK. Very small solders and chips.
                            And everything is OK on the other side of the PCB? (Had to ask)

It was worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                              And everything is OK on the other side of the PCB? (Had to ask)

It was worth a shot.
                              Seems OK.
                              Attached Files
                              '95 80Q AEB VEMS E85

Comment

Working...
                              X