Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My AAN 2.2 20v Turbo B5 A4 Avant build

Now then lads and ladies,

not so much a build thread as ive done all the pain in the **** work and bleeding knuckle fabrication work but this is a sort of carry on from getting it running 2 yrs ago!

in 2010 i decided i loved my daily drive 2.5TDi Quattro Sport Avant so much i was going to sell my 500+bhp cosworth and modify my A4 by putting my dream engine in it...........

so bye bye shonkey old sierra with one off paint and one off fabricated.......... well everything in the engine bay really lol (note the wastegate that i always fit to my cossies lol )

Anyway the shonkey old scary sideways at 140mph on boost nutter ******* was sold, i bought this as a stopgap and to eventually rip the engine out of, came from Carlisle and the drive home to essex was a propper flat out 5 cylnder blast!

so i took the car back to essex, (home is newcastle) and alternated between the A4 and the S4 for about a year untill i totaly blew the origional tuned (212bhp) 2.5 tdi engine up and i decided to bang the 5 pot in (SILLY SILLY mistake!)

i advertised the S4 minus the engine and harness, and was offered a cash deal for my complete black S4 against a rotten green S4, the deal was sone and i stripped the green shed!

at that point i was runing my own buisness in Ilford, Essex so i whipped the 2.5tdi out and sold it on Ebay for a tidy sum :mischeif:

here was the car as a 2.5tdi before it was abused lol note the cosworth gpA air filter lol (and £800 worth of wytec coilovers, very low! )

so the diesel paperweight was sold...........
    then

3 months of working on the car from 6am till 11pm EVERY day solid let me drive this out of the workshop..........

the work was so extensive that i had to modify the engine cradle,mounts, front pannel (cut it out completley!) and radiator, abviousley due to no front pannel i couldnt secure the bonnet closed, so i fitted Areo catches, nice!

and we were roadworthy

i noticed the car boosted like mad but had no power, i discovered that someone had left a rag in the pipe to the first intercooler........... lol rag removed and **** me........... where off!

Boosting hard and off for a VW meet at Renegade dubs, got there and the car was mobbed by onlookers

on the way out i launched it in 1st, flames and bangs on the rev limmiter then gently poodled away, a few mile down the road i lost all power and was greeted with pops and bangs, oh dear!

regretably i took the owner of the donor cars word that it had a belt kit fitted 3 weeks before the deal was done, and i had paperwork to proove this, what he didnt say was that they ****ed it up, snapped a bolt in the belt tensioner and said nowt.......... nice!

so with the head off and all 10 inlet valves replaced i bolted it down again and we were off................ WOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!

well, nobody told me about changing the cam and inner crank pulleys at the same time...... guess what............. yep, broken crank sprocket lets itself known and takes the cam pulley with it!

again, 10 inlet valves, skimmed head and ported head this time

i had bought an 034 motorsport stage IIc ECU, GT35r turbo, AAT 2.5 bottom end and 200bhp increase NOS kit..............

these were sold (JP got the block, Keiron20v got the ECU, Turbo went on Ebay, and Nitrous kit went on Ebay) as i needed to repay money id borrowed to get the fu cked engine back together ASAP as it was now my daily hack due to chopping up both the cars i owned lol!

Anyway............

it was fixed in time for GTi international and i kicked its head right in, but only managed a 1/4 time of 14.4 dead and 0-60 0f 5.4 seconds

Something was wrong

i eventually traced the fault after a year of fumbling about

the ECU had failed and was not giving earth to any of the Engine sensors and was in limp mode!

so ECU was changed and sensors working correctly, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY but no flames on gearchange BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

so as the car stands engine spec wise:

1.9bar wastegate spring from QST
    Possible chips/ Remap of unknown descent

.................................................. .................................................. ...........

lets draw a line under that.

i stripped a 1000+bhp Skyline GTR and saved a few bits,

Fuel lines and pumps
    Greddy 60mm electronic gauges (Fuel pressure, oil pressure, boost pressure, water temperature, Exhaust gas temperature)
    Carbon fiber bits
    suspension bits to make my hybrid vw polo/R33 GTR snub mount!

and this is how the car looks at the next stage as of may 2012 (2 yrs into the build lol!)

As of June 2012 the car broke on engine mount, cracked the downpipe and pulled 2 studs out a spirited drive with a 400bhp Evo 6, but can i just say i made up 200ft on the Evo, caught him up, got excited and trusted the handling of my A4 before i washed out hit a yump mid corner and clipped a kurb,

but still drove 300+ miles home

i will repair the car one last time for GTi international, where it will get propper death on the 1/4 mile

the clutch is now slipping badly but what the hell, bring on 23/24th june at Bruntingthorpe proving ground

hopefully the car will be on RS2 injectors by then just for the weekend befoe i buy my own

the build will be an ongoing process as i have a work van and a mondeo that is going to be used for dog walking duties

The A4 will be stripped inside, engine and box removed, solid engine and drivetrain mounts fitted, 400-450bhp engine and on/off paddle clutch, straight cut gearbox, and a big big bottle of nitrous with the help of a big red button on the steering wheel

ALL comments on the build welcome, but if i think your wrong i will say so lol

happy reading and looking forward to a photographic rebuild from july/august
    1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
    1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
    BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

good to see a project thread of this car

Comment

Thankyou,

If anyone has any questions on the car please ask,

the car is the only known (out of 3 driven cars) 5 cylnder turbo powered B5 cars that is non space framed and running a front mounted radiator in Europe

and 100% the only 20v 5 pot car in the UK.

behind the scenes a LOT of development took place, from engineering metal work to get the lump in place, i.e modded subframe and fabricated mounts ( to accept origional B5 sized items incase of future failure............ lol good call on my behalf!!) to massivley chopped and tidyed up front pannel as the cam belt cover sits in front of the back of the headlamps!

more to come

Comment

keep up the good work

Comment

Excellent write up, looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labour at gti
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

cheers Greg, i tried to make the car look as subtle as possible without lifting the bonnet, and i think besides how low it is and the bonnet pins/gash chopped front bumper i pulled it off pretty well!

i will add after being under the car for the first time in 2yrs, literaly,

**** me, how much the metal components, front crossmember, cradle and engine bolt on bits............. how quick they have curroded/oxidesed and went rusty! should have kept with my shonke old ford chassis lol

Comment

Nice keep up the good work Sean.
              Audi A6 AEL 5cyl Quattro breaking.
              Audi A5 3.0tdi Quattro Stage 2

Comment

A really great write up and love that car! What an effort you have made to get it right mister

Comment

After a long think and getting messed about from 2 sources to Buy RS4 arches to cast carbonfiber copies from ive decided to keep it "narrow bodied" and concentrate on the mechanicals for now and hope prices of genuine carbon RS4 stuff become more available and cheaper.

Anyone got any opinions on this idea?

I will be using these or very similar for the drivers seat, the passenger seat will be a Recaro pole position, and i will fabricate a rear seat base to accept an ISOFIX base to attatch my 10month old boy`s baby Recaro, which will be the same strength as later A4 mounting points as the B5 doesnt accept ISOFIX sadly.

anyway............

Drivers seat

Passenger seat

Bens Recaro PROFI kiddy seat

S4 Door pannels, crap pic but you get the idea im after (i may end up re-trimming my own as Blue S4 pannels are like chickens teeth!!)

the rollcage will be painted in matching nogaro blue im sure you will agree it will be a match made in heaven!

i will also be making better gauge holders (mine are chubby 60mm jobbies )fron ally and carbon fiber with shiny shiny 2x2 weave then lots of resin.

Keeping the radio, heater controls and centre console and everything else going in the bin,
                  electric windows x4 being binned,
                  rear speakers and all trim/ wiring that is not needed

that is all

Comment

Love the idea, I'd be tempted to do it to a C5 Avant (replace the S6's V8 and slushbox)!

We had a I5B5 in Denver a while back. It was a rally car though. YouTube "urA4" and you may find a vid.
                    1995 1PissedOff90sigpic1991 USDM CQ 7aT

Comment

Awesome car mate. What's the model of the rims btw?

Comment

they are sport TT replicas with 5x112 fittment, NLA i dont think

i paid £800 for them about 5-6 yrs ago

Comment

Right, secured a place to store and work on the car

i will be "breaking for spares" everything on the car!

next sunday the car is starting to be stripped to a bare shell

pm me if anyone is in need of anything they see fitted to the car

Then starts the seam welding and stripping/cutting off any excess metalwork that is not needed

stage 1 may be ready for ADi
                          RS2 spec engine
                          RS4 brakes
                          S4 gearbox
                          better stance

BOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Comment

Ace write up really enjoyed the read, wish I could be that determined with mine

Comment

to be honest Rikki, the cars sat there since i last drove it (obviousley LOL!!)

maby a couple of months, covered in dust as i just dont get time to touch it

hence why i got my lockup, not bothered by anyone there so i can just crack on, weekends etc

actually looking forward to ripping him apart, odd!

Comment

Working...
                              X