AAN Boost Testing Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAN Boost Testing Options

Our AAN powered UrS4s and UrS6s have a fairly simple turbo to intake system, as shown here:

However, there are at least six other systems that are connected to the turbo system. These other systems include:
    1. The bypass valve system,
    2. The N80 Evaporative Emissions Control System,
    3. The Crankcase Ventilation system,
    4. The N75 Waste Gate Frequency Valve (WGFV) system.
    5. The Fuel Pressure Regulating Valve system.
    6. The N71 Idle Stabilization Valve (ISV)

There are rubber and metal components of all four systems that have and/or will fail at some point, allowing boost pressure (and air) to go missing. This results in poor performance and, sometimes, a check engine code because the ECU recognizes that less air than expected showed up at the engine.

The purpose of this post is to identify the most likely causes of the boost/air leak and how to find them.

The possible sources of a boost leak, based on highest to lowest probablilty, include the following:

1. "Michelin Man" hose between the cross-over tube and the inlet to the side-mount OE. This hose is corrugated and made of rubber. Oily vapours tend to condense inside the hose and lay in the valleys of the corrugations. This rots and weakens the rubber until the point where it splits, causing a massive boost leak. At that point you really don't need a boost leak test. This post is intended to help you find the leak before it is massive so you can replace the hose before it fails catastrophically.

Here's a photo from AudiHeel(GoHeels) showing the way the rubber rots and eventually splits:

Here is another "Michelin Man" hose that split despite being wrapped with a silicon tape (Not a Samco, OE rubber with silicon tape wrap - lasted 1 year with MTM 1+):

2. The "Tee" hose under the intake manifold where the N80 Evaporative Emissions Control System and Crankcase Ventilation system connect into the intake manifold. Here is one example of one such "Tee" hose with a split, upstream of the PCV system one-way valve.

3. Cross-over pipe - at least the UrS6 plastic ones

Here is a metal cross-over pipe with F4 Silicon tape-wrapped OE hoses (by Kingtr). (Michelin Man lasted one year with MTM 1+)

4. The plastic-ended UrS6 side-mount intercooler

[INSERT BETTER PHOTO HERE - the above is just a tide-me-over]

5. The other hoses between the turbo and the throttle body, including those cut by over-zealous clamp tightening.

Like this one (turbo to cross-over tube and BPV) that held until 10 psig boost and then would open up and dump boost. At idle it would be closed up again, hidden.

Photo courtesy of Marvin H. (MarvelousS4)."

Thanks Marv.

Here is another example, "Item 7" in the parts diagram below, the 90 deg rubber boot that connects the PCV system flow to the transfer tube that goes through the AAN (and ABY and ADU) cam cover. This one split where the clamp goes and if the one-way bleeder valve has failed the split becomes a boost leak. The blue hose is a $5 Chinese silicone hose that is going to replace Item 7.

6. Other components of the Crankcase ventilation system, including the one-way bleeder valve and the pressure regulating valve and any and all plastic, metal and rubber piping.

Photos courtesy of Autohauz and ECS Tuning

7. The N71 Idle Stabilization Valve (ISV) (plastic bits crack and leak) and the attendant hoses and pipes between the ISV and the back of the intake manifold.

Here is an ISV valve showing leaking during a boost test (happens to be on a 3B or ABY but it is the same exact ISV so be aware that they do/can leak):

8. The Bypass Valve

9. The N80 Evaporative Emissions Control System valve

10. The N75 Waste Gate Frequency Valve and its attendant vacuum lines.

11. The vacuum lines between the intake manifold and the Fuel pressure regulator and the Moisture Trap and The G71 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor (in the ECU)

Here are six diagrams that contain the info needed to methodically think through the boost testing procedures and what you are looking for.

The AAN intake tract from air cleaner to throttle body (note labels (A1),(B2), (C1) etc):

The Crankcase Ventilation system diagram (Note Items 3, 10 and 14 as potential suspects):

The N80 Evaporative Emissions System diagram (Note Item 1 is the "Tee" hose labeled as Item 14 above):

The WGFV and BPV vacuum line diagram

The vacuum/boost lines to the fuel pressure regulator, the moisture trap and the MAP sensor:

Here is a consolidated drawing

Here is a diagram that shows a boost test that focuses only on the boost hoses and intercooler between the turbo and the throttle body (Option 6 below):

Testing for boost leaks involves introducing controlled pressure, i.e. 10 to 15 psi from an air compressor into a non-running engine, with a pressure testing bung, such as shown in the diagram below and various other hoses plugged off (as appropriate to that test).

Here is an example boost testing cap with a metal air line hose connection (could also be a metal Schrader tire valve) to introduce the air and then monitor with a pressure gauge.

Photo courtesy of 4Driver4 (Tom M.)

Having a spray bottle filled with a very soapy water solution to spray onto the suspect parts (bubbles = leaks) is useful (the leak might be small and it might not produce a noticeable sound)

Here is a table that outlines the various boost testing options based on the above diagrams.

There might still be some minor errors in the above that will be corrected after people make their comments and provide their suggestions.

ADDITIONAL PHOTOS WELCOMED.

Thanks to those who contributed photos and diagrams used in this post.

/The staff at STFA.
    Last edited by UrS4boy; 25 August 2016, 15:42.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Very thorough as ever

Why have you disconnected the DV in option 6 in the way you have? In operation, it would be pressurised the other way around, so makes more sense to disconnect the low pressure side and plug the inlet hose

May also be worth mentioning a little about the symptoms of the N75 circuit malfunction - N75 stuck open, stuck closed, split WG diaphragm, split N75 to WG hose.

Finally, just noticed that you've not put the yellow DV boost reference line explanation on the diagram key.

HTH
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Good write up Dave.

Only think I would say is I pressure test at least at the boost pressure the car is running at. Some minor leaks become a lot more obvious at higher pressure. (with care, at 30psi things pop/split with a bit of force, I fired the bung across the garage once!)
      Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
      Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        Very thorough as ever
        1. Why have you disconnected the DV in option 6 in the way you have? In operation, it would be pressurised the other way around, so makes more sense to disconnect the low pressure side and plug the inlet hose
        2. May also be worth mentioning a little about the symptoms of the N75 circuit malfunction - N75 stuck open, stuck closed, split WG diaphragm, split N75 to WG hose.
        3. Finally, just noticed that you've not put the yellow DV boost reference line explanation on the diagram key.
        HTH
        Rusty: Thanks for the comments. I added numbers to your points above so I can address them in order:

1. I understand what you are suggesting about the pressurized side, etc. but my intention for Option 6 was to take the BPV (DV) completely out of the test. With the throttle body hose and ISV branch disconnected and plugged, there is no pressure going to the BPV at all (with the BPV disconnected from the turbo to intercooler hose and plugged off at that branch with the bung in the turbo end of that hose).

2. I have never seen/heard/experienced the WGFV leaking so if you want to elaborate on your comments, I will incorporate them into the post as a quote. I do know that in the past, Marc S (Mr. EFI Express) has raised the red flag that you need to keep the WGFV connected to the wastegate, even if it broken because without it, there is no connection between the turbo and the wastegate to open the wastegate against the wastegate spring pressure. Under that scenario, the wastegate will not open and boost pressures will rise to (likely) destructive levels.

3. I can add the BPV legend. I created that particular version of the diagram to deal with the WGFV hoses and colouring the BPV vacuum/boost circuit was an afterthought. Subsequently for the S2 3B/ABY and RS2 ADU post, did all (N80, FPR, WGFV, BPV, etc) on one diagram. I might do that for the AAN and eliminate the single topic diagrams.

Again, thanks.

Comment

Added this to the post (If any one recognizes the photo please let me know so I can add the credit beneath the photo):

"Here is an ISV valve showing leaking during a boost test (happens to be on a 3B or ABY but it is the same exact ISV so be aware that they do/can leak):

"

Comment

What happens if the Dip stick pops?

Comment

If you haven't blanked off the breather to inlet hose then that's your problem. If you have then the 1-way valve in the breather circuit has gone wonky and that's going to show itself with low boost.
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

If you haven't blanked off the breather to inlet hose then that's your problem. If you have then the 1-way valve in the breather circuit has gone wonky and that's going to show itself with low boost.
                Agree Andy (sorry I called you Rusty earlier (but it *IS* your sig ). I personally don't like Options 1 and 2 for this reason, i.e. they pressurize the engine by flowing compressed air back from the MAF to Turbo hose into the PCV breather system.

I personally think Options 4, 5 and 6 are better because they test the PCV breather system in the direction off normal PCV breather airflow, i.e. if the one-way bleeder valve is working, the PCV system AND the engine (and dipstick tube) do not get pressurized (which is normal).

I used to be an advocate of ONLY Option 6. However, I recently realized that Option 6 misses testing the rubber "Tee" hose that connects the N80 Evaporative Emissions system and the PCV system (under vacuum conditions) to the intake manifold. This omission was the actual reason why I started these Boost testing posts.

Comment

Andy / Andrew / Rusty I forget what it says on my birth certificate sometimes: the confusion of getting a nickname at the start of Uni and being known by all my Uni friends & girlfriend as Rusty but as Andy by all my family I digress...

IMO, the best pressure test comes from:-
                  1. Pressure bung @ MAF hose.
                  2. Plug inlet hose at breather to inlet hose connection (19mm).
                  3. Plug inlet hose at DV connection (25mm).

This tests everything that is under pressure, including the dump valve, which is normally not tested when just 1&2 are done, as it has equal pressure either side of the diaphragm / piston. This does require a good source of air but is worth the effort.

Using this method (1&2 anyway), I have found leaks on the injector seals, the TB to IM gasket and on the TB to inlet hose.
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

AHHHH....got it. You're a "ginger". Good thing you're not in OZ. Then you'd be "Bluey".

I like what you are saying about your experience with boost testing (maybe Option 2A?). However, I am not quite sure what you are calling the inlet hose. The MAF to turbo hose? If so, I am undertanding, somewhere between Option 1 and 3.

Comment

Thank you guys for all your Hard work and dedication! Will hopefully do my test this weekend.

Comment

...Finally, just noticed that you've not put the yellow DV boost reference line explanation on the diagram key...
                        Okay, you "forced" me to do a new diagram similar to the one I did for the S2/RS2 with six different vacuum/boost signal, evaporative emissions, etc. hose circuits. I'll use it to replace three of the diagrams in the post above.

Comment

I am indeed ginger, there's a post on the colour codes thread showing that I am Sunburst orange

Glad to help, this sort of resource is what makes this site what it is and to add to that, there's a thread title that may even show up on a search
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I am indeed ginger, there's a post on the colour codes thread showing that I am Sunburst orange Glad to help, this sort of resource is what makes this site what it is and to add to that, there's a thread title that may even show up on a search
                            Sunburst orange. Ooo...stay out of the sun or you'll burn to a crisp. (Or try SPF 2000 sunscreen)

The post title (and the other two (S2/RS2 and 200 20VT)) are intended to be searchable. I am one of the main contributors to the UrS4/S6 FAQ at my home forum and I know how frustrating it is to know that there is a post out there with the info you seek but the forum search engines are not pulling it up. "Key words" are indeed key.

Comment

The best search engine is 9 years' experience on here
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                              X