New C4 UrS (and 100/A6) heater core replacement DIY pdf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New C4 UrS (and 100/A6) heater core replacement DIY pdf

This is based on many things but mostly on kinderutz's "2.5 hr" start to finish instructions that avoids removing the consoles.

Enjoy. Hyperlinks highlit in blue in the pdf are click and go.

http://12v.org/urs/C4UrSHeaterCoreReplacementDIY.pdf
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Dave, perfect timing, just what I need to know, now that the urS6 is resting, and the S2 Avant is the daily driver for a while.

Comment

If (when?) I have to do this I 'll try and document any RHD variations.

Comment

Originally posted by Thecrispynoodle View Post
        If (when?) I have to do this I 'll try and document any RHD variations.
        Thanks in ADVANCE.

I checked and I don't think there will be too much difference, other than the left interior foot well being the passenger side and the right side being the drivers side. I know the heater valve is different but I think I mentioned the PN for that (If not, I have to do another Rev soon (I mis-named the author of the unsigned Temp Flap R&R pdf (it wasn't Fred M. it was Steve Y.) and there is a trick to getting the red and blue connectors disconnected through the radion slot with a long screw driver that I should include).

Dave F.

Comment

C4 100/A6 UrS Heater Core DIY - new and improved

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
          This is based on many things but mostly on kinderutz's "2.5 hr" start to finish instructions that avoids removing the consoles. Enjoy. Hyperlinks highlit in blue in the pdf are click and go.
          http://12v.org/urs/C4UrSHeaterCoreReplacementDIY.pdf
          I did the above and posted it in the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning forum after helping someone replace their heater core in a 1997 UrS6. Subsequently, I have had the "opportunity" to test the DIY on my own 98 C4 A6 Avant DD.

While I was doing my own, I took more photos and used them to hopefully improve the previous version. It should make the job easier. It still avoids removal of the consoles. There might be access issues on the right side interior for you RHD folks but I am sure you can modify the DIY to suit (still try to avoid removing the consoles if you can). Crispynoodle was going to provide his RHD input. Maybe others (Spink?) can too.

Enjoy: http://12v.org/urs/C4UrSHeaterCoreRe...ntDIY_Rev1.pdf

Comment

ah there it is cheers,can't wait to have a go at this

Comment

Originally posted by spink View Post
              ah there it is cheers,can't wait to have a go at this
              Check your PM. I have tasked you to provide RHD input (along with Crispynoodle).

Comment

Check your PM. I have tasked you to provide RHD input (along with Crispynoodle).
                Will do, but I doubt this will ever be a preemptive job - will likely only take it on when it eventually shows signs of leaking. Too many other things higher up the list at the moment (1. Turbo coolant return hose 2. CPS etc etc..)

Comment

I eventually did this last week and have to say it was quite straightforward

I took a couple of pics which I will post later.

One thing to note is that the motor is different between lhd and rhd as(like a tit) I ordered by the part number off the 'how to' and not by the reg not sure this is mentioned anywhere in those links

I ended up fitting a good used motor I had on the shelf and sending the new one back

Comment

...One thing to note is that the motor is different between lhd and rhd as(like a tit) I ordered by the part number off the 'how to' and not by the reg not sure this is mentioned anywhere in those links
                    Sorry about that. I am in NAmerica and it was written for a NAmerican forum. That said, yes, I could have found out whether the LHD fan motor is different than the RHD fan motor and added that info.

BUT I didn't. Sorry

I can do another REV and add your RHD specific photos.

That said, I just reused my existing fan and motor when I did mine. The odd squeak but nothing to get excited about.

Comment

Sorry about that. I am in NAmerica and it was written for a NAmerican forum. That said, yes, I could have found out whether the LHD fan motor is different than the RHD fan motor and added that info. BUT I didn't. Sorry
                      I take it all back. I just checked with my friend Kate, the friendly parts girl, and she says that there is no difference between left and right hand drive when it comes to the heater and the fan, etc. PN 4A0959101A = Blower motor with fan, no LHD or RHD caveat.

I will entertain other views and opinions backed up with data, e.g. PNs.

Comment

The actual motor is same but rhd has an added piece of plastic and also the electrical connectors are in a different place.its probably possible to swap it over but at £150 (trade price from audi) I would rather have the proper one, as the used one I found is like new, that one is staying in.if it goes again I reckon I could fit a new one in an hour or so

Audi themselves confirmed lhd vs rhd is a different part number

Comment

...Audi themselves confirmed lhd vs rhd is a different part number
                          Please see if you can find/get the rhd part number because I certainly didn't find one this afternoon.

Comment

4a2819015a

the black plastic piece below the old motor on the right surrounds the motor on rhd cars so it can be screwed into the housing,the fan blades would need to be removed to swap this over and it looked like i may end up knackering the new item so thought best to leave it.The last picture shows my 2 'special' tools for the job,a crowbar and the window motor linkage to use as a weight to hold up the housing

I have another pic of the lhd and rhd motors side by side but can't find it atm

Last edited by spink; 16 August 2013, 08:38.

Comment

4A2819015A...I have another pic of the lhd and rhd motors side by side but can't find it atm
                              Can't believe it. Yesterday when I asked Kate about fan motors she was all "nope, nothing special for rhd". Today when I ask her to check 4A2819015A, she's all "sure, of course, that is the one for rhd. 4A0959101A is the one for the lhd cars".

It could have been yesterday, I had her look in the electrical group, i.e. 900 series and she only found the 4A0959101A. Today, with your number, 4A2819015A, it's in the 800 series. Live and learn.

If you can find the photo of both lhd and rhd side by side I will add the photo and the two PNs to the next revision of the C4 heater core DIY.

Comment

Working...
                              X