Having A Nightmare Taking Out Ecu!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having A Nightmare Taking Out Ecu!!!

Guys, Ive taken the small panel off under the glove box and can clearly see the ECU (where the big conector) goes into the ECU.. but i cant see any way of takeing it out!! I can get to the little pipe thats attaches to the ecu.. the whole thing will not budge.. it dug in real good.

What am i missing.. I certainly can not pull the big male conector out, and that strapped together with loads of wires that are bonded toghther.

Can someone please offer me an idiots guide (or a link to!) I have tried a search to no avail.

I need to get my ECU shiped out to Paul asap..

Help with thanks
    SOLD.. :(
    But now proud owner of Porsche Boxster S.. :fire:

Originally posted by Honahon
    Guys, Ive taken the small panel off under the glove box and can clearly see the ECU (where the big conector) goes into the ECU.. but i cant see any way of takeing it out!! I can get to the little pipe thats attaches to the ecu.. the whole thing will not budge.. it dug in real good.

What am i missing.. I certainly can pull the big male conector out, and that strapped together with loads of wires that are bonded toghther.

Can someone please offer me an idiots guide (or a link to!) I have tried a search to no avail.

I need to get my ECU shiped out to Paul asap..

Help with thanks

Comment

it should be up behind the blower for the hearter. there is a clip right at the back holding it in. you need to lift the clip up and slide the ECU out. Sounds easier than it really is though.

Greg
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

do i disconect the pipe / conector first....?? total swine

Comment

if its any consolation, my father-in-law had a nightmare getting it out - not easy!!

Comment

yes you will need to disconnect them anyway so you can do it before or after but it might be easier to do it first.

Greg
            Greg

Comment

Do a search on the forum for this - its been posted before. Potted version is as follows-

1. Remove trim panel below glovebox. Do NOT remove glovebox - no need.

2. Remove the braided vac/boost line into ECU

3. Remove the electrical connector - you have to lift and rotate the effin big metal clip first of all, and if the ECU has never been removed before, there should be a ty-wrap you need to cutoff where it holds the connector to ECU body.

4. Now the painful bit - slide the ECU down towards the floor to remove it. Take GREAT care not to snag any other wiring in that area - or the vac pipe for the Aircon's recirc valve. There is a metal clip you need to prise up in order to start the ECU on its slow journey. You will curse how tight fitting the carpet is - BUT it does come out.

5. Refitting is a reversal - just be patient with the big 55-pin connector that you get it lined up properly before attempting to close the metal clip.

HTH - Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Once you have removed it the first time, refitting and subsequent removal is a doddle. But you still have to get it out the first time.
                ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Man, i tryed to remove the ecu right yesterday. i gave up, but i will try again tomorrow. There is the boost line? The 55 pin connector is on the bottom...
                  Audi Quattro WR

Comment

I cut all my fingers when doing this job. The key was a flat screwdriver to push aside the blackish metal clip holding the ecu to the back of the aircon box. Have to force it a little. Just a little. I cut my carpet aswell to give some more way. And had to pull out the white plastic holder that kept the under-the-glovebox tray horizontally to the frontal chassismetal.
                    Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Oh yeah - the firkin bit of white plastic - forget about that - it twists off with a struggle.

Paul
                      Paul Nugent
                      Webmaster http://S2central.net
                      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

That white plastic bit! I think mine went in the bin after a bit of wrestling.
                        SS

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter
                          Neither did I put it back. And my ECU rests on the bottom of the clima fan box.
                          Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter
                            LOL mine is in the glove box
                            Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

I decided to screw mine to the front of the heater pipe from the blower towards the heater matrix. far easier to work with
                              Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X