K24R EGT Gauge & Probe Fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K24R EGT Gauge & Probe Fitting

Using the the gauge and faces for sale here.

I decided that I wanted to fit this in the OE voltage gauge position, next to the oil pressure and temp gauges. I have a spare set of gauges with a holder, to mock this up.

The first thing was that the bezel on the EGT gauge was different to the OE ones, so I took the bezel off the Voltage gauge and fitted that one, which was a great fit.

Next, I had to modify the auxiliary gauge holder to take the EGT gauge. This involved a hacksaw and a file, so hardly difficult.

Finally, it was just a matter of fitting it all together. When I fit it in the car with the matching gauges, it'll look completely OEM.

Next was fitting the probe, as I comes with a 1/4 NPT adaptor and I wanted to use a stock M18x1.5 lambda bung that's in the exhaust by the turbo outlet. I struggled to identify the thread on the probe but some measuring and a little guess work identified it as a 7/16-20 thread

A call to Pirtek later and I had a part on order, similar to the L series adaptors on page 9, here... an M18x1.5 to 7/16-20 male-male joiner. I believe the part number is L-18-07 and it cost about £6

I then ran a 7mm drill down the centre bore, to clear the probe and test fitted it... all fitted perfectly

A few pictures of things as they stand at the mo.

Pictures aren't the best but they show what needs to be shown...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rusty; 30 July 2013, 09:15.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

So, here's the rest of the write-up, with pictures:
    1. Remove the centre console and then remove the gauge holder (4x8mm bolts).
    2. Label up the loom and gauges and then disconnect it all.
    3. The genius part of using the voltage gauge space is that the voltage gauge uses a switched live and it has the correct sized spades!
    4. Take the voltage connector plug and use a small screwdriver to remove the spade connectors from the housing (blue / black = +ve, brown = -ve).
    5. Cover the exposed spades with either tape or heatshrink, then label with a pen.
    6. Next, de-solder the bulb holder and fit appropriate spade connectors.
    7. Due to the way I decided to have the oil temperature gauge in the centre, I had to move the loom about a bit - I decided that the oil pressure gauge was the least important 'at a glance' gauge, although TBH, when they were all fitted, there's little difference, so I could just have reversed the original order of the gauges and saved the effort.
    8. Fit the EGT gauge and do the retaining ring up.
    9. Re-route the loom and connect the light and +/- spades to the EGT gauge.
    10. I then tidied up the loom with the tape that I removed.
    11. Refit the gauge holder to the centre console and adjust as necessary.
    Attached Files
    Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Fit the modified Pirtek adapter in to a spare lambda bung (if you have one!).

Then fit the probe

Route the cables as required.

Attach spades to the gauge end of the sensor lead.

Connect it all up (red to '1', yellow to '2')

Test it by turning the engine on and the lights...

Refit.

Done.
      Attached Files
      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
      X