Wheel widths and larger tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel widths and larger tyres

Just to set the scene ABY OEM wheels/tyres are 7.5Jx16" ET37 205/55.

One of the first mods i did was to change to 7.5x18" ET35 225/40 which i ran happily on the car for years.

A little while ago i changed the wheels/tyres to 8Jx18" ET35 235/40. The combination of having changed to KW's and the extra wheel and tyre width mean this setup fouled the suspension (4.3mm closer) and required 5mm spacers to fit. This in turn meant longer bolts and importantly 13.4mm further out towards the arch above OEM, which resulted in having to have the arches crudely rolled as a temporary measure.

The car is now going in for some bodywork, including some work on the arches to make them fit, and has made me think what other options are available to even wider wheels, if i'm getting the arches modified anyway, and the pros/cons of running such wider wheels.

As an extreme example you could go to 9.5Jx18" ET10 265x35. This would result in the wheels being only -1.68% on the diameter (speed measurement) and within tolerance, plus being 1.6mm further away from the suspension than OEM and 6mm further away then the previous setup i required spacers with, meaning no spacers would be required.

The outside face would poke 52.4mm further out than OEM, but as the arches are having some work anyway this isn't a consideration.

So assuming wheels are available that match these specifications (and they seem to be) the question is how on earth would this effect handling?

My thinking is more traction under acceleration and braking and better distribution of lateral loads under cornering, but this might be thinking far to simplistically when you include tyre pressures and other possible unforeseen cons.

Thoughts, gents?
    S2Forum.com Administrator

Wider wheels and tyres will indeed offer more grip in the dry both in cornering and acceleration / braking. However, going too wide will cause increased aquaplaning in the wet and while they may fit width wise, you may have to limit your steering lock and the steering geometry will change a bit with the required offset and spacers. Also, you'll be putting the wheel bearings under more load, so not sure if that's of any concern.

265 is a bit extreme... the TTRS uses 255 tyres IIRC. 255/35R18 are a BMW staggered size, so may be good VFM.

There are quite a few sets of 8.5J / 10J staggered rims on Bay and there's the OZ Futuras on here too, which would look awesome on the car, although they'll do nothing for the understeer with wider rear tyres. Wider rears with more dish will look good though and you can go for the same tyres on 8J / 9J (235) or 8.5J / 9.5J rims (245 255).

Don't forget that wider rims and tyres add weight though!
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=futura
      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

More grip=less fun
        sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Jim Green has 275/40/17 on 9.5J 17" ET35 wheels with 100s4 arches on his 90

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71541

Not really anything constructive to add, but it looks awesome
          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

You could run the staggered wheels wider on the front MTM RSR style for more front end dry grip.

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.p...667e4d#p508755
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

MTM RSR was

265/35 17 10J front
                235 40 17 8J rear

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

That's mental
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                    Wider wheels and tyres will indeed offer more grip in the dry both in cornering and acceleration / braking. However, going too wide will cause increased aquaplaning in the wet and while they may fit width wise, you may have to limit your steering lock and the steering geometry will change a bit with the required offset and spacers. Also, you'll be putting the wheel bearings under more load, so not sure if that's of any concern.

265 is a bit extreme... the TTRS uses 255 tyres IIRC. 255/35R18 are a BMW staggered size, so may be good VFM.

There are quite a few sets of 8.5J / 10J staggered rims on Bay and there's the OZ Futuras on here too, which would look awesome on the car, although they'll do nothing for the understeer with wider rear tyres. Wider rears with more dish will look good though and you can go for the same tyres on 8J / 9J (235) or 8.5J / 9.5J rims (245 255).

Don't forget that wider rims and tyres add weight though!
                    Thanks Andy.

That pretty much summarises my thoughts also and pros/cons that i was aware of.

What do you think about staggered wheels? Do you think its better to run something smaller at the rear?

I'd been looking at the Federal 595 RSR specs (http://www.federaltire.com/download/spec595RS-R_Eu.pdf) as i've been seriously impressed with these whilst running the 235/40, but they also offer 245/35/18, 255/35 and 265/35. The link includes all relevant information for sizes, weights and recommended and approved range of rims for the varying widths. Also note the speed ratings.

The thing that really surprises me is the minimal varying cost for the different tyres (all from tyreleader). They really are stunningly good VFM:

225/40/18 88W 7.5-8.5J: £99.18 each
                    235/40/18 91W 8.0-9.0J: £102.89 each
                    245/35/18 88W 8.0-9.0J: £91.19 each
                    255/35/18 90W 8.5-9.5J: £96.29 each
                    265/35/18 93W 9.0-10.0J: £117.09 each
                    285/30/18 97W 9.5-10.5J: £123.99 each

You'll notice a 255/35/18 tyre is only 0.2kg heavier than a 235/40/18. Obviously the alloys would be lots more.

Speedlne Turini's are available in 8x18, 8.5x18, 9x18, 10x18 and for complete instanity 11x18 and 12x18. I'm not certain of offsets and bolt pattern just yet.

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                    MTM RSR was

265/35 17 10J front
                    235 40 17 8J rear
                    Brilliant thanks.

I knew the RSR ran 10J fronts but i didn't know it ran 8J rears.

I'm wondering whether its worth also having a staggered setup.

Jim Green has 275/40/17 on 9.5J 17" ET35 wheels with 100s4 arches on his 90

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71541

Not really anything constructive to add, but it looks awesome
                    Thanks!

Comment

Oops, wrong link for the vomit comet if you wanted to browse through it

http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.p...118&start=1884

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

MTM RSR was

265/35 17 10J front
                        235 40 17 8J rear

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic View Post

*Drools* over how bad *** that car is
                          1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

I had running 8'5x18 Azev type A rims and could go for 9" easily with my widened S2 front bumper with 4x S4 front wings in the 4 corners

By the way... All these custom widened parts are for sale if someone is interested
                            RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                            BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                            LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

I run 245 on the front and 225 on the back, I find this helps a lot with under steer
                              RS 2 580HP

Comment

Working...
                              X