AAN inlet manifold on 3B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAN inlet manifold on 3B

Right guys, I have started to do the AAN inlet conversion on my 3B.
    I know the are a few threads here discussing things but I have some questions for people.

I have taken the old manifold off and as I have read the PAS pump needs to be moved and the 3B water manifold needs modifying. I have an AAN water manifold but that doesn't look like it will work.

My questions or should I say requests are as follows:
    - does anyone have brackets that I can borrow and copy?
    - can someone modify the water manifold for me?

I have read that people have used electric PAS pumps instead of the mechanical one, has anyone done this and if so what pump and how easy was it to do?

I'm not a welder, although I plan to teach myself soon, I don't have my own fabrication gear either which is why I'm asking for some help. I am willing to suitably fund people for their help too obviously.

Cheers guys

The PAS pump relocation is the big issue with this conversion. Modding the water manifold is easy if you have access to someone who can weld ally. You can use the original water pipe with the modded water manifold. I have just taken the head off my motor so I can take some pics of the water manifold for you. I can also do the welding for you if you are stuck for someone local to you.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Steve,
      That would be a great help, I don't know anyone local to me that welds ally.
      If you have done the conversion does that mean you may be able to make some brackets up for the pump for me?

Comment

I made a bracket to relocate my PAS pump forward to run a single V belt for the alternator and PAS. It worker OK 80% of the time, but throws the belt off when you hit the rev limiter. I'm looking at other options now the car is in bits. Happy to pass on any developments and others on here will have suggestions too.
        91 Modded 3B

Comment

I've read on here that you may be able to move the either the alternator or PAS pump to the other side to free up space but have no idea what that would involve.
          Also seen someone running a jockey wheel to pull the belt around more of the pulley but not sure how strong that would be.

Comment

Hey I will need to do somewhat the same thing to fit an AAN in a CQ. I'm wondering how you modify the AAN inlet to fit without moving/tilting the rads also. Same for the PAS (I assumed this is the Power Steering pump) bracket as well as the water manifold (I have the AAN one - so if I understand it won't be a direct fit or is it the 3B head that is different ?)

Anyone with picture of those would be nice also !

Thanks

Comment

Another thought I had was to use AAN PAS pump, Alternator set up but not sure if this will bolt to the existing mounting points.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobby84 View Post
                Another thought I had was to use AAN PAS pump, Alternator set up but not sure if this will bolt to the existing mounting points.
                Changing the belt system to AAN is the easiest way to solve the relocation issue, however, you will need to change the harmonic damper to an AAN item, which then means you should rebalance the whole crank assembly as they are all balanced together.
                91 Modded 3B

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                  Changing the belt system to AAN is the easiest way to solve the relocation issue, however, you will need to change the harmonic damper to an AAN item, which then means you should rebalance the whole crank assembly as they are all balanced together.
                  Maybe not then, sound way too expensive and complicated, need a driveway solution.

Comment

AAN ps pump bracket isn't a direct bolt on fit.
                    There's a tapped hole missing on 3b/aby blocks.
                    Markh posted about it when he ran that setup back in the day. Needs part of it extending.

Comment

It's a ballache this mod.
                      Try and find a second hand Wagner.

Comment

Stupid question: is 3b mani not up to do the job? Something wrong with it?

Comment

Just fancied a shorter inlet pipe length that doesn't go past the hottest part of the engine.

Comment

I will fit a 3b mani soon over aby one and try to have the pipe going to intake heat isolated .Probably I will use the phenolic spacer on the intake to cut some heat transfer.

Comment

i have a AAN with modified AAN intake and v-belt system
                              i replaced the pas pump and alternator from the old kv engine and made some custom brackets
                              Attached Files
                              audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
                              TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
                              AEM W/M injection

Comment

Working...
                              X