Shockstrut : Audi B2 typ85 Quattro to B3 material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockstrut : Audi B2 typ85 Quattro to B3 material

Well, i have read several topics about swap B2 Typ85 coupe Quattro 4x108 Hub to 5x112 conversion.

I know it's more easy to buy Audi S2/RS2 complete set but it's not cheap so...

my questions are on strut arm :

- difference between Audi 3B, ABY strutarm & other like NG, 7A or anything like diesel one maybe ? is the diameter of he shocks ? i means i think it would be 55mm for the 3B/ABY & 50 mm for other ?

I'll have hubcarrier from V6 (82mm), it seems Audi 200 Turbo 1b is good for Hub (5x112) but i dunno which strut to choose,

For the rear i have understood we can use A4 B5 Quattro rear hub (in hub carrier 75mm) i guess i can keep my B2 quattro strutarm one piece in that case
    thanks for your help

Tof
    sigpic

Wasn't 7A strut the same as 3B? Take all four struts with hubs from 7A Coupe Quattro, for the rear you already said A4 B5 Q. Front if I am correct could be taken from C4 Q.

Comment

Originally posted by Macchris View Post
      - difference between Audi 3B, ABY strutarm & other like NG, 7A or anything like diesel one maybe ? is the diameter of he shocks ? i means i think it would be 55mm for the 3B/ABY & 50 mm for other ?
      Rear shocks are all 55mm dia. Front shocks are 55mm only on S-cars (3B/ABY/ADU). All others are 50. + Strut-to-hubcarrier bolts can be M12 or M14.

I'll have hubcarrier from V6 (82mm), it seems Audi 200 Turbo 1b is good for Hub (5x112) but i dunno which strut to choose
      Does not matter. Any strut you can afford can be mounted. Are you sure your audi 200 hub will work regarding CV joint splines? There are some possible versions here IIRC...

For the rear i have understood we can use A4 B5 Quattro rear hub (in hub carrier 75mm) i guess i can keep my B2 quattro strutarm one piece in that case
      No. Driveshafts and CV-joint splines again. A4 B5 Quattro rear hub is a bolt-on solution only for B3Q/typ89Q schassis with their own rear driveshafts and CVs.

For B2Q/typ85Q rear take a look at 5-lug hub VAG 447 407 615 A: should be bolt on, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Real good information here

Comment

Front if I am correct could be taken from C4 Q.
          yes if you resize them of some millimeters if i have seen well on this board ;-)

Thanks Shuriken for all this info ;-)

So i can go with audi 80 "basic" front strut
          for the rear i need B3/B4 Q rear strut + rear drive shaft from b3/b4

Are you sure your audi 200 hub will work regarding CV joint splines? There are some possible versions here IIRC...
          i guess i must use "head" of the cv joint splines from my Audi 200 1B from 1989 ? or found C4 S4 front hub resized (i think the UFO cars have not the goof hub, only HP2 right ?)

again thanks a lot for your help ;-)
          sigpic

Comment

Keep in mind that there is a big variety of splines on hub-CVjoint union. C3/C4/A4B5Qrear/B2front - they are all different. Keep in mind that inner CV joints may be 100 and 108mm Diameter. Some combinations with different grade of expense effectiveness.

I have some knowledge of topic regarding typ89Quattro chassis. And a little bit about typ85Quattro rear. I would recommend to stay on all typ85Quattro rear stuff in most cases, especially for serious tuning.

Comment

447407615A hub installed into a typ85Q rear leg. Old (native) 4x108 hub in the left.
              Car of a familiar audi enthusiast from my city, photo of mine.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Shuriken,

those Hub seems to be on Audi 200 Automatic & 100 CS Qauttro, will try to find at decent price,

however the B3Q rear strut is a good alternative because this is 2parts struts so when you must made a bearing you dont need to put off all the struts
                Last edited by Macchris; 11 November 2015, 14:11.
                sigpic

Comment

To have 2-parts struts at rear you can choose 3 options (at last what i know):
                  1. Obtain all rear suspension and drivetrain from typ89Q including struts, driveshafts with CVjoints and rear diff.
                  1. Remain with typ85 rear diff. You still have to get a pair of typ89 rear driveshafts with CV-joints. Rear differential flange is 108mm on typ85, so you need ultra rare typ89 S2 coupe driveshafts with 108mm inner CV or non-S 5-zylinder driveshafts with some special 108mm-diameter inner CV (VW transporter T4 possibly). Simple non-S typ89 rear inner CV-s are 100mm or even less on 4-zylinder B3 sedans.
                  2. Remain with typ85 rear diff and rear shafts. You can't have your typ85Q old driveshafts and CVs with typ89 disassembleable struts bolt on. You have to machine inner side of typ89 rear hubcarriers to accomodate large typ85 outer CV-joint. But it is worth it, in my opinion.

Comment

... in general, this VAG CV-joints splines hell makes me mad at some point.

I started planning simple brake upgrade and it has ended up with transmission flanges changing

From the other hand, thanks god there is such an opportunity. You will never feel bored if you have a weak low-specification audi. There are lots of issues to improve.

I have missed the only opportunity to buy an RS2 at my place, so permanent thoughts about tuning of my rusty 10V coupe take a lot of my free time.

Comment

2. Remain with typ85 rear diff and rear shafts. You can't have your typ85Q old driveshafts and CVs with typ89 disassembleable struts bolt on. You have to machine inner side of typ89 rear hubcarriers to accomodate large typ85 outer CV-joint. But it is worth it, in my opinion.
                      maybe the best solution, lot of metal to machine on typ89 hub carrier to fit on typ85 outer joint ? no problem with solidity ?

Yes i think you waste lot of time to search how put this with that lol i understand ;-)
                      tof
                      sigpic

Comment

lot of metal to machine on typ89 hub carrier to fit on typ85 outer joint ? no problem with solidity ?
                        Have not done this yet myself, but i know there are some cars running successfully with such mods.

Comment

Ok thanks ;-)
                          Tof
                          sigpic

Comment

1. Obtain all rear suspension and drivetrain from typ89Q including struts, driveshafts with CVjoints and rear diff.
                            well maybe i can have an Audi 80 Quattro Dz engine with from 12/89 with AEX/AKT
                            So, do u think with the diff AEX 41/9 is ok to put on audi typ85 quattro ? no problem with the genuine gearbox of the Quattro typ85 ? (as the rear differential is 37/1 on the typ85Q)
                            if ok maybe i'll grab the car

Thanks for info

tof
                            sigpic

Comment

Front diff in gearbox and the rear diff must be strictly equal ratio. I would not consider using any 4-zylinder Audi 80B3Q (89,8A) transmission as it is too "short" (4.56). Besides, keep in mind that 4-zylinder rear driveshafts have their own small 94mm inner CV-s (but it hardly affects anything).
                              Audi 90B3Q (89,8A) with 5-zylinder could be an option: it has 4.11 diff ratio.

Comment

Working...
                              X