MAF on pressure side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF on pressure side?

Hey.. Can I move the MAF to the pressure side just like that? I mean - there is no difference in what it's meassuring if it's on the pressure side or atmospheric side. Or?

have a word with Tom on this one
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Mark H has this setup too. He may be able to give you some info...
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

You can put the MAF between the IC and the plenum. The advantage is measuring mass flow close to where it goes into the cylinders.

As I understand it, the MAP and the MAF measurements are compared. If flow is unusually high for a measured pressure, the Motronics diagnoses an air leak in the system and cuts fuel. Mihnea can correct me if I am wrong.

Obviously, this system can only detect leaks that occur BETWEEN the MAF and the MAP. So what happens e.g. when you put the MAF between the IC outlet and the Intake?

Imagine you have an air leak between the turbo and the MAF. The MAF and MAP won't detect the leak. Flow is low, pressure is low. Motronics will try to raise boost. The turbo spins up but still there is low pressure, low flow.

The WG won't crack open because it isn't getting high boost. The WGFV won't relieve pressure because Motronics doesn't see high pressure. Turbo spins more. Sounds like an unstable feedback loop to me.

Do the designers have another system that e.g. compares TPS with pressure to prevent this from happening?

Comment

Not worth doing unless you HAVE to IMHO. It could cause problems as above. Also the ECU needs to be remapped to compensate for changes. BTDT, my car drove very badly on part throttle until mapped by the Motronic God
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
          Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
            Not worth doing unless you HAVE to IMHO. It could cause problems as above. Also the ECU needs to be remapped to compensate for changes. BTDT, my car drove very badly on part throttle until mapped by the Motronic God
            Well just to throw a curve into the discussion, I have recently just moved mine to the pressure side and have noticed no problems at any throttle setting, in fact the motor runs better than ever before .
            Although I should point out that the car is not my daily drive anymore and I have only done ~ 1K miles with it like this so far, so my comments above may not be definitive.

I did the mod for space considerations as it has tidied things up a lot in my ever changing engine bay.

But Rich has a good point about the turbo over spinning if there is a leak between it and the MAF, only way I can think of getting around this is some sort of turbo tachometer......if such a thing is available??

Mark.
            Mark - Modded

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
              Also the ECU needs to be remapped to compensate for changes. BTDT, my car drove very badly on part throttle until mapped by the Motronic God
              Tom,

R U sure it was the changed MAF position that was the sole cause of the probs? I have heard anecdotes that Mark's experience seems to confirm.

Rich

Comment

Well I posted this question at a Swedish forum and the answers point to the same thing - it can be moved and it won't need a remap.

This whole boost leak thing got me scared though. Beeing able to put a airfilter directly in the turbo is mighty tempting too. Would definently work better...and look better.

Comment

Frankly I don't know if Tom's or Mark's conclusion is the right one. Both guys tend to know what they are doing. But I agree it will certainly clean up the turbo side of the motor.

Comment

As I said earlier, I have had mine in that position for only a short time and have not covered a lot of miles with it like that yet............but it has behaved very well.

The only problem I had was getting the hoses to stay on the MAF, initially they blew off when under boost as there is not a lot for them to grip onto on the MAF ends, but it seems to be OK now, maybe I was being a bit of a pussy not wanting to tighten the clips up too hard in case of cracking the plastic MAF body.

Mihnea can probably tell us why the map might have to be tweaked when doing this, all a bit beyond me, I am just a spanner monkey .

Mark
                    Mark - Modded

Comment

could this be a differance between ABY and 3B? i no a couple of people who have done it but they are all ABY engines and they have said it ran fine after,

is this a coincidence?
                      if this sounds like crap dont rip me as im not well up on ecu programing - it just crossed my mind

Comment

Mark - if your car runs "better than ever" with the MAF moved it has caused a difference.

There is a difference in velocity, density and temperature of the air in the 2 positions so it WILL make a difference.
                        S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

I run MAF on pressure side.... Ohh what a feeling. Needed a remap.

Søren S2
                          Audi RS4 LO550

BTG 8:08

www.fredslunds.dk

Comment

Doug: Yes there is a difference in those things... But it's still the same air mass! I reall y don't see why it wouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                              Mark - if your car runs "better than ever" with the MAF moved it has caused a difference.
                              Don't think I said that there wasn't a difference.....I did say that I had no problems, in fact the opposite, it ran better, and yes maybe I was 'lucky' and the car ran better instead of worse.
                              Mark - Modded

Comment

Working...
                              X