could i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could i?

Hi after reading your answers to one of my last posts i have decided to upgrade my brakes once i have had the remapp as soon as possible. I was talking to a friend about this and he said i could use the rs2 standard calipers with a8 discs and rs2 carriers and this should fit under my standard 16'' s2 wheels. I did not think this could be done could it?
    3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Originally posted by stevieyid
    Hi after reading your answers to one of my last posts i have decided to upgrade my brakes once i have had the remapp as soon as possible. I was talking to a friend about this and he said i could use the rs2 standard calipers with a8 discs and rs2 carriers and this should fit under my standard 16'' s2 wheels. I did not think this could be done could it?
    No, the g60 calipers bolt on differently than the Porsche 996 brakes usually used with the upgrade.

Greg W.
    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

are the rs2 calipers g60?
      3'' Longlife Exhaust, Koni Adjustables, H&R Springs, Full RS2 Setup with Mr Nugents RS2 Chips (just need the RS2 Airbox)

Comment

RS2 are 968 based Porsche Calipers
        Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
        S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Like these for sale on ebay. I think they are one of the guys on here
          Mark

Race Clio RS197

Comment

would the rs2 calipers go with the a8 discs and rs2 carriers and still be able to fit under the 16'' standard wheels

Comment

They should as the carriers are the same for the OEM RS2 and the Big reds and the 996. You would have to machine the disks from 314 down to 304 but other than that you should be ok.
              94' RS2 Coupe TT (Twin Torsen )

Comment

@ Stevie - the answer from The Spanish is exactly right - you can use the RS2 front caliper, the RS2 caliper carrier and the disc from the Audi A8 if you machine it down to 304mm - it all bolts on. They all fit under the 16" Avus - they don't fit under the very early 3B-engined 5-spoke "Speedline" 16" alloy though (the offset fouls the caliper), what wheels do you have?

There is a whole host of threads on here about brake upgrades, but this one mentioned is cheap and very effective.
                Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Originally posted by rotoryboy
                  Like these for sale on ebay. I think they are one of the guys on here
                  Not me yet
                  Alastair
                  RS2

Comment

Originally posted by alg
                    Not me yet
                    Mark

Race Clio RS197

Comment

Originally posted by dan_b
                      @ Stevie - the answer from The Spanish is exactly right - you can use the RS2 front caliper, the RS2 caliper carrier and the disc from the Audi A8 if you machine it down to 304mm - it all bolts on. They all fit under the 16" Avus - they don't fit under the very early 3B-engined 5-spoke "Speedline" 16" alloy though (the offset fouls the caliper), what wheels do you have?

There is a whole host of threads on here about brake upgrades, but this one mentioned is cheap and very effective.
                      Thanks Dan_b brilliant answer. Now, if some will just give the same answer on the 996 monoblocks+RS2 carriers+A8 discs under 16" ABY wheels, then I can finally stop

Assuming both routes are possible, which is better? It seems most on here have taken the 996 monoblock route....why? Is it 'coz machining discs down is too much of a pain?

Thanks in advance

Si

P.S. you know, I used to think I was a bright chap....11 years in academia, manager of a multi national company, rebuilt several classic cars and a motorbike, but it turns out that I am thick as ****....and this brake upgrade issue is really starting to hurt
                      95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
                      Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
                      With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

No its because for about the same cost Monoblocks are much better than the RS2 ones on the long term. Better and more modern technology.

996 are a tight on Avus wheels, but there are some pictures and threads around with pics of them on.
                        94' RS2 Coupe TT (Twin Torsen )

Comment

I'm upgrading just now.

Std RS2 calipers and 314mm A8 discs and seat ibiza cupra r carriers (cheap!).

The carriers need 2,5mm taken off from the hub carrier contact side and that's all what's needed.

Should fit 16" avus. I'll confirm this when I'm done.
                          -

Comment

not sure what the avus wheels are has anyone got a pic of them that they could post? Would the rs2 caliper be a cheaper option than the porsche 996 option?

Comment

These are the 16" Avus (you can just see the 996's)
                              Attached Files
                              Mark

Race Clio RS197

Comment

Working...
                              X