S2 Cluster and computer install..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 Cluster and computer install..

Just fitted a set of S2 instruments and the onboard computer into my CQ20v, it’s a surprisingly easy job if anybody ever wondered, plug and play

Parts needed are, wiper stalks with control buttons, wiring loom, and computer display unit. You don’t need the entire cluster as the computer section will fit onto any dash.

The wiring loom is a separate cable just for the computer system. The loom connects from the computer board (black plug) to the control switch (brown plug).

The Yellow plug connects into a matching socket under the dash above the diagnostic connectors. (ECU connection for fuelling rate)

Fuel tank capacity and vehicle speed are all taken from the instrument cluster circuit board, no wiring is necessary there.

The remaining red socket isn’t used at all, I couldn’t figure out where it went at first as there was no matching socket for it to plug into. The wiring diagram below claims the wires are not used, curious

So far it seems to be working fine, i will have to run a few tanks and see does it match my actual MPG. Average speed, remaining fuel range, trip timer, average mpg, average mph etc all seem to work fine and give believable readings. The instant MPG function is interesting, i didn’t expect it to update quite so quickly. Seems to average 24ish mph cruising around but any large throttle openings see 14ish mpg. It can drop down to 5mpg on full throttle

Did any of the S2's have a boost gauge? Our S4 doesn’t have the instant mpg it has a boost readout instead

If fitting an S2 speedo to a CQ20v you need to check the code on the unit, there is a K number e.g. K6464 which seems to indicate impulses per mile. The S2 cluster i got had a slightly lower number which i worked out would read 1% fast in my car. Doing a test with set rpms on each gear i measured the indicated speed difference between the two which confirmed about 1% difference. I also worked out my 18" wheels make the speedo read about 1.3% slow so i'm almost back to where i should be

Only other issue i found is the warning hazard light, it says "airbag"

Mark.
    Attached Files
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Attached Files

Comment

Hi

i was just wondering if u maybe have a scetch of the circuit board mine have some burnt circiuts and need to be repaired but no one can help me with these scetches

s2 3b 20v

thks chris..
      www.cardomin.com/member/745893

Comment

I can send you a replacement circuit board, if you're willing to just pay the postage, shouldn't be much though.
        Never show a fool a half built house.
        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
        The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

That would be nice of u how much is the postage to south africa and how would i get the money to u

thks
          chris
          www.cardomin.com/member/745893

Comment

Great post Mark, very interesting project.

You posted a part of a schematic of the OBC wiring I don't seem to have, can you tell us the source and possibly attach the image file(s) in a ZIP archive?

Thanks,
            Nuvo.

Comment

Mark, have a part number for the separate stalk loom?

The warning lights symbol set can be used from your old cluster.
              -

Comment

@Nuvo, its from the 10 .pdf files i found here,

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/index.ph...string=Audi+80

@porkkis, i changed the window over today I dont have the part numbers as i sourced all the bits form ebay.

Anybody know about out the ECU check light the US guys have been talking about? If i understand correctly you can place a bulb into one of the empty sockets and wire it in as an ecu check light?

Comment

Great another addition to the technical library. I'm sure it'll come in useful some day.

Thanks,
                  Nuvo.

Comment

Mark, did your car already have the Autocheck? My Cabriolet onbly has a mini-check, so I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to install..
                    1996 A6 TDI Quattro Avant, Xenon HIDs, A4 Autodipping rearview.
                    Previous: UrS6 with RS2 bits.. <sigh>

Comment

Yes it did, the original unit was the same as the piccy below.

The onboard computer is inside the same unit so either unit will plug into any dash.

There is a large white rectangular plug that goes into the autocheck box, on my car it’s a part of the main cluster wiring loom so i would say the wiring is already there on your car. Should be another plug & play upgrade.

Found the following on ebay, is this what you are looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...556750471&rd=1

Mark.

P.S. What is an "auto-dipping mirror" ?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar
                        P.S. What is an "auto-dipping mirror" ?
                        perhaps "auto-dimming mirror"
                        //-\\ ((_)) //)) //