No announcement yet.

4th Time Lucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are a few S2 for sale at the moment. One FB market place ABY coupe for £14K with with 165K on the clock. It sounds OK, but reading through the MOT history it's not the best. I also don't think FB is the best place to sell these cars.

Comment

When I test drove the car having made sure it was up to temperature and the fan cuts in etc, I asked if I could drive it on wide open throttle. As I did this I got the all too familiar boost cut out. I explained to the seller that there is an air leak somewhere and popped the bonnet. Upon lightly touching one of the vacuum hoses on the T piece, it just fell off with about a 15mm split in the pipe. It was then clipped back and tie rapped on but made no difference. So today I renewed three hoses in total and she’s now absolutely flying. I’ll renew the others tomorrow but I wonder how many years it’s been running like that despite the impeccable service history? Then again if you don’t drive it like you stole it, you’d never know.
      Attached Files
      Steve

1990 RR 20V
      1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

‘Go Faster’ stripes being removed today. Funny how one side comes off OK and the other in 2mm pieces.
        Attached Files
        Steve

1990 RR 20V
        1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

You should have nicked the Mrs's hair dryer! it softens the glue a treat!
          sigpic
          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Today I decided to look at the NS brake calliper as the car is swerving to the right when braking. One the capper was removed from its mounting I depressed the brake pedal to force the pistons out but they never moved. Next I undid the bleed nipple and engaged the assistance of Mrs Brown with some down/up brake pedal operation. Surprisingly nothing canes out so I then removed the calliper to check the flexi hose and still nothing came out despite inserting a wire and checking for blockages. Last of all I undid the brake pipe from the outlet on the ABS unit and that gave the same result. Anyone had anything similar, maybe it’s the brake bias valve? The only other thing I’ve noticed is the brake pedal is quite hard but after a while it has freed up and the calliper starts working again but goes back to normal after leaving for a week.
            Attached Files
            Steve

1990 RR 20V
            1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

First of all I gave the block on top of the ABS unit several taps with the mallet as I’d read this on another thread. I then tried pressure bleeding and when I opened the bleed nipple nothing came out but it did dribble out from around the threads. The bleed nipple was then removed and found to be blocked. When installed back in I was finally able to bleed the brake.

However when road tested the calliper on the NS was still not engaging. So it was removed once more from the carrier and the brake pedal applied. This time the piston came out but just one whereas I expected them both to come out? It was then pushed back in and the pedal applied again and the other one came out. Pushed it back in and then road tested and now working.

All I will say at the moment is that the fluid looks dirty and I’ll do another test drive tomorrow to see if it’s still working.
              Attached Files
              Steve

1990 RR 20V
              1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Originally posted by steverrquattro View Post
                Today I decided to look at the NS brake calliper as the car is swerving to the right when braking. One the capper was removed from its mounting I depressed the brake pedal to force the pistons out but they never moved. Next I undid the bleed nipple and engaged the assistance of Mrs Brown with some down/up brake pedal operation. Surprisingly nothing canes out so I then removed the calliper to check the flexi hose and still nothing came out despite inserting a wire and checking for blockages. Last of all I undid the brake pipe from the outlet on the ABS unit and that gave the same result. Anyone had anything similar, maybe it’s the brake bias valve? The only other thing I’ve noticed is the brake pedal is quite hard but after a while it has freed up and the calliper starts working again but goes back to normal after leaving for a week.
                The complexity of brake systems and the potential safety implications

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbozic View Post
                  The complexity of brake systems and the potential safety implications
                  Note to self…….not touched this car since the last post as bought another project. I will come back to it at some point though as I would like to have it back on the road this year.

Is the brake warning light normally the bomb and do you check it by the number of pedal depressions?

PS I still think it’s the abs unit.
                  Steve

1990 RR 20V
                  1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Working...
                  X