Registrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registrations

I wanted to know if i can somehow keep a number plate off a car that i have, is there a set amount that i can pay to withold the registration? The car had a private Reg put on it as soon as it was registered i think, because i'm the second owner, and the plate resembles the 1st owners initials...So i assume he registered the personalised number plate as soon as he bought the car from the stealers.

Would anyone here know about the cost and any other conditions for me keeping the plate, or buying it back...If so, will the car get a replacement plate of somesort?

Thanks
    Harry
    F I R E U P T H E Q U A T T R O

1996 S2 coupe aqua green sold
    1990 MK2 Golf gti 16v oak green sold

It's a right pain.

You have to pay about £80 to transfer and then £25 to put the plate on rentention and then pay to have it transfered to another car.

The car it's transferring to and from must have a valid MOT

See here http://www.dvla-som.co.uk/home/en/FAQ/

Comment

Ah damn! Thanks Jamo, quick reply!
      I was thinking along the lines of 50 or so quid, as it is technically my plate on my car! They're just mugging us! I hoped 1 day i'll own a V12 to match the number plate i have lol We can all dream...

Comment

It's 25 quid for retention and 80 for assignment fee...105 in total

Comment

Yeh i've had to do this, helps if you have a local DVLA office in your city else it has to go to Swansea which takes an age.

The local DVLA can do everything for you in about a 5 day turnaround.

Comment

I think they closed down not so long ago, it was only a 5 min drive away, dont know if they plan on openning another one.
            I couldnt find anything on there site, unless i missed it...Assuming i do keep the original plate of the car, will DVLA then issue a new plate for it? Without extra costs, apart from making the plates obviously.

Comment

As far as i was aware when I looked last time both cars had to have MOT and Tax and both had to be in your name too.
              The vehicles have to be available for inspection also in case the dvla decide they want to check it out.

Comment

As far am im aware, DVLA will issue you an age related reg number once the existing one is transfered off, update ya log book accordingly and send it back to ya.
                Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Legend20vT View Post
                  I think they closed down not so long ago, it was only a 5 min drive away, dont know if they plan on openning another one.
                  I couldnt find anything on there site, unless i missed it...Assuming i do keep the original plate of the car, will DVLA then issue a new plate for it? Without extra costs, apart from making the plates obviously.
                  Yes they will try to issue you with the original number plate the car was 1st registered on failing that a new age related plate.

You will get a DVLA note that you can take to a shop and get a new plate made up ( I didn't bother bought one of eBay )

Comment

Pain in the ****, i've just had to take my 666 AUD plate off the S2 to put my old M5 related plate on. Coz i sold my M5 (but wanted the plate) i had to go on as a nominee (as officially buyer of the bimmer was new owner of plate) you only get 12 months grace as a nominee so needed to get it on a car.

Lots of hassle and paperwork changing, only for me to be changing it back soon! No other way around it and makes the DVLA more £££'s

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, i think i'll be getting an age related plate if i was to go ahead with this, becasue from what the paper work suggests, the private plate was the 1st and only registered plate on the car. Once that's done, i'll be looking to get rid of my little run about/go kart. Not quick by any means, but can be quite a bit of fun when cornering. Pug 106 quiksilver 1.4 8v LOL not even a Gti Now that's meant to be a nice little go kart, with excellent feed back for the driver!

Comment

Working...
                      X