Kielder Walk and Drive!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kielder Walk and Drive!!

Well I thought saying we may not have too much good weather left I might as well make the most of it with the Missus otherwise occupied! Went up to Kielder Water and Forest for a blast and the roads didn't have to many :corey: on and I took full advantage! I went for a 8 mile walk with Bonni (Dog) which tired us both out but where I went was pretty interesting I've been trying to find an old train station and I finally found it and took some photos. There use to be a railway line run through Kielder from the borders and down to Hexham unfortunately it closed down in 1969. The sign was still there and remains of the old station house but as soon as it was announced the line was closing most of the people left, and left this place a bit like a ghost town it was pretty interesting reading on the information board. Enough of going on I just like railway lines and history and fast cars Here are some photos
    Attached Files

So of the car!!
    Attached Files

Comment

Cheers for that....I came across Riccarton Junction during one of my forestry surveys- found it really creepy, but fascinating, cos of thinking of all the folk who'd passed through/stopped at temporarily, over the years- especially all the servicemen+women during the wars.

Comment

Tis sad when old places like that become deserted. Does make for interesting viewing years down the line though. Nice motor too, that S2 looks like it sits very confidently. Good choice on getting out in the last of the semi decent weather. Got up this morning to waterproof requirements etc. Roll on Spring!

Comment

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Interesting info and great pics, especially the S2.
            These are two really interesting sites on a similar tip to the old town & station :

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/
            http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by anthonys2 View Post
                So of the car!!

I love this picture!

What route did you take? I'm always on the look out for good driving roads. Never been to Kielder before but it doesn't look too far from me and I bet the scenery is worth the drive too!

Did you take the car out to any of the rally stages up there? Riccarton is definitely one of them that they use on the Pirelli (or it was when the Pirelli International and the British Rally Championhsip were worth watching )

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4688 View Post
                  I love this picture!

What route did you take? I'm always on the look out for good driving roads. Never been to Kielder before but it doesn't look too far from me and I bet the scenery is worth the drive too!

Did you take the car out to any of the rally stages up there? Riccarton is definitely one of them that they use on the Pirelli (or it was when the Pirelli International and the British Rally Championhsip were worth watching )
                  I went towards Otterburn (only 20 mins from where I live) and cut across to Kielder joining main roads which takes you past Kielder Water and then up to Kielder Village photo was taken when you come to the end of the road on the Scottish side when you can turn left to go to Newcastleton or right towards Hawick i went right for about 5 miles turned left up a road called Steele Road. Its defo worth a drive up its nice whether its raining sunny or **** loads of snow!! One of my favourite areas and its right on my doorstep!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4688 View Post

It's a stunning area, just make sure you have plenty of fuel if you decide to check it out I ran out just outside Kielder village a few years ago after my sat-nav insisted there was a petrol station there, which there was but it had been shut for at least a year. It was early in the morning around the beginning December and minus 5 out, all I had to wear was jeans and T-shirt combined with a light summer coat. I had no phone signal and was started to panic slightly, thankfully I was in a van, ended up nicking some red diesel from the Forest Commission to get out of there

I did pay for the fuel in the end
                    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                      It's a stunning area, just make sure you have plenty of fuel if you decide to check it out I ran out just outside Kielder village a few years ago after my sat-nav insisted there was a petrol station there, which there was but it had been shut for at least a year. It was early in the morning around the beginning December and minus 5 out, all I had to wear was jeans and T-shirt combined with a light summer coat. I had no phone signal and was started to panic slightly, thankfully I was in a van, ended up nicking some red diesel from the Forest Commission to get out of there

I did pay for the fuel in the end
                      You will be pleased to hear that garage is open from 7-7 every day but yeah you need fuel I was up there in the A4 had 5 miles left in tank thankfully garage south of Otterburn was open paid £1.59 a litre for normal diesel didn't mind

Comment

wheels look spot on!
                        NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by audinut View Post
                          wheels look spot on!
                          Cheers pal I know I've posted up already but both photos taken same location
                          Attached Files

Comment

nice thread, the cars looking good sat on those boots Was in Switzerland on holiday last month and we came across a cable car which had literally failed a saftey check and had it's licence removed by the authorities about 7 years ago up nr the St Bernard pass/tunnel www.super. In the UK it would have been covered in grffiti, torhed and everything not bolted down, taken away. This place was like the Mary Celeste...even the keys in the motor room to fire up the wheelhouse.

Have a bit of a fascination about deserted buildings/communities etc...did a bit of digging on the net and the cable car was basically condemned and could have been bought for 1CHF (about £1) providing the buyer refurbished the lift which was built in 1962 for about £23m!

I'll post some pics on a separate thread once back home from a business trip
                            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                              nice thread, the cars looking good sat on those boots Was in Switzerland on holiday last month and we came across a cable car which had literally failed a saftey check and had it's licence removed by the authorities about 7 years ago up nr the St Bernard pass/tunnel www.super. In the UK it would have been covered in grffiti, torhed and everything not bolted down, taken away. This place was like the Mary Celeste...even the keys in the motor room to fire up the wheelhouse.

Have a bit of a fascination about deserted buildings/communities etc...did a bit of digging on the net and the cable car was basically condemned and could have been bought for 1CHF (about £1) providing the buyer refurbished the lift which was built in 1962 for about £23m!

I'll post some pics on a separate thread once back home from a business trip
                              Cheers matey Yes I find things like this interesting its the history what it would have been like when things were in there prime look forward to your thread. I think I might have a little more exploring up at Kielder if I do I'll carry on posting. Also a BIG THANKYOU for everyones kind comments

Comment

Working...
                              X