X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• etsola
    started a topic Audi Coupe Quattro 7a --> 1z TDi swap questions

Audi Coupe Quattro 7a --> 1z TDi swap questions

Hi there, I'd like more details on the Audi Coupe Tdi that were sold in the EU. I know they came with the 1z motor (which were later found in Vw Passat's here in 1996) and were only FWD.

I'd like to go diesel in one of my Coupe, but is a quattro and I want to keep that - Canadian winters !!

So, here's a few questions to start with but also looking for been there, done that experience :

1) Is the subframe and motor mount for 1z TDi's different than the 7a Quattro's ? If yes, can a subframe of one or the othe be adapted to support the swap ?
    2) What transmission does the 1z use ? Can I keep my 01a and change the gearing inside ? If yes, what clutch do i need to use ?

Bottom line, I'd like to keep this as simple as possible and the less cost as possible.

Most parts needed for easier TDi swap would come from Europe and I'd like to keep that to a minimum as I would want this one to become my daily driver and be easily maintained. We got a LOT less TDi models here and are limited in the engine/car combination that were imported here.

Thanks

• etsola
    replied
    Originally posted by M2ki View Post
    Ofcourse it does. 4 cyl came with 01A gearbox from factory.

You'll also need the matching input shaft and matching gear for that shaft.
    So you mean the input shaft is not the same diameter as the ones in 7a's?

Thanks for the input guys... I'll look into that when I'm in front of a computer

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• PRY4SNO
    replied
    Why not use a more common 5-cylinder TDI, either an AEL or AAT? Just feels more proper in a Cq. Plus they actually have some jam, and will still return excellent mileage. I think Martin was getting 1000 km or better per tank in his sedan.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    I'm gonna say what everyone else is thinking -this is just sacrilege!

Leave a comment:

• De80q
    replied
    You may find this thread of use.
    http://theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?t=686

Leave a comment:

• M2ki
    replied
    Ofcourse it does. 4 cyl came with 01A gearbox from factory.

You'll also need the matching input shaft and matching gear for that shaft.
    Last edited by M2ki; 8th May 2019, 16:09.

Leave a comment:

• etsola
    replied
    Also, does that 01A bolt to a 4cyl or not? I've heard the drilling was meant for both since found in both applications...?

Leave a comment:

• etsola
    replied
    I found out that the 5th of the 01A DGW or EEP is 0.659

That probably be enough to make decent rpm on the highway with 4.11.

Is changing the 5th gear impossible too?!

Other question is how to find : 012 311 361 CF

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• De80q
    replied
    It has been tried, and can't be done. If you can find a UrQ rear diff, that will give you the final gearing you are looking for. I know a couple people who have put them into B3's.

From what I have found, the B3 sedan has a .769 5th gear, and the CQ has a .838 5th gear. I'll be dropping in a sedan 01A into the CQ I'll be picking up soon.

Leave a comment:

• M2ki
    replied
    No, you can't.

Leave a comment:

• etsola
    replied
    Well, it'd be the 5th from a DGW 01A from a 1996-1998 A4 TDI Quattro... Which 5th is 0.66... Very tall.

There's O1E 6 gears that the 6th is 0.56!

I'll calculate with stock 01A... But thanks I had notice it was taller on the Sedan but didn't think of making the calculations I think it'll Rev too high.

Do you know if I can swap the rear diff ring and pinion from a B4 into our B3 casing? There 3.89 instead of 4.11.

Thanks

​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• De80q
    replied
    Are you calculating that with the CQ 01A, or the sedan 01A? The sedan has a slightly taller 5th gear than the CQ.

Leave a comment:

• etsola
    replied
    Ha! Should've done that before!!

3.89 gives me 2600 rpm @ 75 mph with stock tire size and dgw 5th gear.

4.11 gives me 2750 rpm @ 75 mph with stock tire size and dgw 5th gear.

I won't bother then... A bit high, but hey... Still ok. I can try to source a longer 5th or use a 6th from an 01E maybe? Which is 0.56.

That'd be perfect if it can be done. Gives me 2340 with 4.11 final. Very decent!

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• etsola
    replied
    Ahh... Crap then.

I'll calculate with 4.11 diff what rpm it would give.

I can always put bigger tires

How about URQuattro diffs... Internals would fit?

Leave a comment:

• M2ki
    replied
    No. Tottaly different diffs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X