Slightly mad dag-dag idea for Audi 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly mad dag-dag idea for Audi 80

Related to the recent popularity for 80TDi machines amongst the S2 Forum crew I have also been looking for a while. As hard as it is to find a decent one in Saloon or AVant shape in Ireland I just had a mad notion to fix something that always bugged me about the Audi 80 diesels - none of them were quattro equipped.

I just don't think an Audi is a proper Audi unless its a quattro - depsite the weight penalty which obviously has a downside in the pure economy stakes for trying to get better than 40mpg from a few bottles of Mazola.

What if, one sourced a V6 80 quattro - Saloon or Avant - I know they are rare too, but roll with me here... I wonder how much grief would be involved in planting either the 5-pot (or V6) 2.5TDi engine into that to create an Audi 80 2.5TDi quattro ?

Actually the 4-pot 1.9TDi might be just as good for the job - assuming its all plain sailing wrt bolting up 01A gearbox, clutch and such. Maybe someone has a BTDT already... Could be 'fun' if the right bits are sourced for good money.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

like the idea of the 5 pot myself,presuming the V6 bellhousing is ok to use i should think it would be quite straightforward as its essentially the same as the S2 lumps apart from that the inlet manifold sits on the other side.Get it done.

Comment

See I have all these 'great ideas' - if I can get the time machine invented first then it'll be sweet

Oh its gotta be worth an hour on zee trusty family album to kick around some options.

Paul
      Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

They made 80tdi quattros.
        There have been a couple on Ebay over the last few years.
        Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
        England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

WTF - in RHD - show me one - are you serious ?
          Paul Nugent

Comment

Discussed here

Comment

Mmmmmmmm those ebay ads have long since gone, but I'm not convinced... Maybe I'm going blind with old age, but my version of the trusty family album only shows the AAZ or 1Z engines listed against the Audi 80, but NOT the Audi 80 quattro in LHD or RHD. I need proof they exist - either from factory or as a DIY conversion.

Unless there is some other variant of the 1.9TDi engine that I am missing here.

Paul
              Paul Nugent

Comment

well i think those are just rumors. audi lists the audi a6 c4 to bi the first tdi with quattro.

btw. putting in an engine in is not a problem, but finding a proper gearbox will be.
                Audi Quattro WR

Comment

I haven't seen one in the flesh, but remember looking at a black 80tdi saloon advertised as a quattro on Ebay which was in Leeds.

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                    Mmmmmmmm those ebay ads have long since gone, but I'm not convinced... Maybe I'm going blind with old age, but my version of the trusty family album only shows the AAZ or 1Z engines listed against the Audi 80, but NOT the Audi 80 quattro in LHD or RHD. I need proof they exist - either from factory or as a DIY conversion.

Unless there is some other variant of the 1.9TDi engine that I am missing here.

Paul
                    They do exist the one on ebay mentioned was the one i was looking at it it was black with all black interior and the important thing a quattro running gear with a 80 tdi 1Z engine i have seen a couple since but i ended up buying a normal 80 tdi

cheers Raj

Comment

Im wondering if its a case of the logbook being f**ked up like quite a few coupes have been in the past.Eg where it has quattro turbo instead of just quattro as the vehicle description.Or someone has stuck a badge on the back,it wouldnt be the first time.Never seen one myself anywhere,just had a look on ebay.de and mobile.de and couldnt find anything or even on google for that matter.

Has anyone actually looked underneath one of these 'quattros'?

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                        What if, one sourced a V6 80 quattro - Saloon or Avant - I know they are rare too, but roll with me here... I wonder how much grief would be involved in planting either the 5-pot (or V6) 2.5TDi engine into that to create an Audi 80 2.5TDi quattro ?
                        Off ya go then, let us know how you get on

More seriously, sounds like a good idea though, but then if there are some out there allready, be easier to just buy one, if ya can find one that is

As for which way to do it, personally, aint got a clue, sounds fun though
                        Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Originally posted by spink View Post
                          Im wondering if its a case of the logbook being f**ked up like quite a few coupes have been in the past.Eg where it has quattro turbo instead of just quattro as the vehicle description.Or someone has stuck a badge on the back,it wouldnt be the first time.Never seen one myself anywhere,just had a look on ebay.de and mobile.de and couldnt find anything or even on google for that matter.

Has anyone actually looked underneath one of these 'quattros'?

I have seen pics of the one i was looking at. As i was like you guys there surely cant be a tdi quattro ?? as i worked on loads of audi's and never heard of one so asked the guy questions and asked if he had made a mistake listing it but it was a quattro i think it sold for £1800 quid

cheers Raj

Comment

Originally posted by madwolf_Uk View Post
                            Off ya go then, let us know how you get on

More seriously, sounds like a good idea though, but then if there are some out there allready, be easier to just buy one, if ya can find one that is

As for which way to do it, personally, aint got a clue, sounds fun though

Easier to find a petrol 80 quattro and put a facelift bonnet on it and a tdi lump
                            as the tdi quattro must be like hens teeth as i have only seen two and only one of them confirmed with pics was a quattro and i think it was M reg

cheers Raj

Comment

I was thinking the same thing a couple of weeks ago paul, i now have an 80q v6 avant and it is a great car but started to think about a 3.0tdi conversion from an a4 for some reason, ive has an 80 tdi before, also a good car but found it terrible in the wet, used to wheelspin in 2nd and 3rd at half throttle, well annoying.

Comment

Working...
                              X