• Show
Clear All

Should've eaten them
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Macchris View Post
      dont worry they probalby will give you some "gifts' on your cars...
      This years actually been notably different to previous years, not as many gifts as usual. The cars usually get hammered especially in spring from pigeons but not seeing as many this year which is good.

Momentous day for me today, finally got the motor in. Really wish I'd got a mate or two round to give me a punt as it was a right c##t on my own but I got there in the end. Not sure if it'll need to come out again to get bits done but I can crack on now and work out what I need to do with power steering, cooling, oil cooler etc. Everything seems ok so far with clearances so far, it's tight in a couple of bits but it's sitting exactly where I expected it to so quite relieved my diy mounts worked out fine.

A very welcome sight,

Comment

Love this project . Which rad and fan set up are you planning on using ?
        Gav
        S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

i have just found this thread and read it from start to finish. I love the development of this project and your attention to detail. Please keep us updated.

Keep the Avus on it, they look amazing with the silver paint!
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Thanks guys, still slogging away with this, still spending a load of time on it but unfortunately it's not really showing. I actually really wanted to get someone to finish it off for me as I'm getting beyond my knowledge, skills and experience but haven't managed to find anyone yet that will take it on so I'll just keep plodding on with it.
            Everything just seems to take me forever to work out then actually do it, I do one thing and it'll **** up something else so have to go back a rethink it all again, probably spend as much time on the PC researching as I do actually working on it. The list of things to do is genuinely getting shorter though and I think I've got a plan for most of the bits I still need to do. Trying the bumper back on for radiator trials was a nice wee boost to keep morale up even if it did come back off a few days later!!!

Anyway,

Remote filter fitted and plumbed to engine, pressure switch and senders for temp and pressure mounted, got a plan for the cooler but need radiator location finalised before i can mount it and finish plumbing it in.

Power steering nearly done. Due to pressure differences between the V8 pump and cars rack I've had to use the V6 pump on the V8. As the V6 pump sits in a totally different location this meant the lines would all be wrong. After umpteen nights on ETKA then Ebay I found hoses that will work, one was a straight fit the other two I had to heat and reshape the hard sections of the pipes to get them to work. Had thought about just doing complete new custom lines but read that OEM lines have restrictors in them and odd sized banjos so decided not to go there. Just need to make up some P clips to secure the hard line bits to avoid stressing them and think they'll be done, really wish I'd payed more attention and done these before the motor went in but too late now.

Dipped my toe into the electrical side, starter and alternator wiring I'm comfortable with so cracked on with that. Battery tray needed modding and rerouted some of the loom to gain some clearance to the manifolds. Made a simple bracket to mount the crank sensor to read the teeth on the flywheel, adjustable as I'm not 100% sure on the exact clearance.

Cooling, nearly done but decent plan for finishing it. Bought a chunky radiator(Gav, AFCO 80107N) from the states, it's one that someone else doing the swap has used. It's not quite a straight fit he said it was but think I've got it sussed out now. Bottom outlet is right in about the aux belt so will have no chance to take a hose off it, just need to find someone to weld the outlets on the end of the radiator and it'll be easy enough to plumb in. Got the mounting of the radiator all worked out just need to source to materials from work to complete. I've now moved it off centre and far over to the right, this will give me loads of room the hoses and free up space for a fan on the front, 10" easy or might even get a 12" one if I chop the centre bar a bit. Heater and header tank hoses all done.

Been doing other wee bits and bobs to tidy it up, belt covers done with crackle black.

Genuine ellipsoid headlights sourced, split and cleaned.

Scabby genuine RS2 grill, split and repainted,

Seriously need to decide soon if I'm going standalone ECU or use the original one, pro's and con's for both but really need to work out what's best for me.

I love the Avus wheels too but they are so damn heavy compared to the other's I've got, currently trying to sell the futuras to free up some cash for some 18" LMs.

I'm on holiday this week so hoping to get the radiator finished and oil cooler finished. Think I'm going home brew on the exhaust as well, ordered some 2.5" bends, some pipe and some V bands to get me up and running. It won't be a pretty stainless TIG affair to start with, mild steel and MIG to get it up and running.

Comment

More great work, thanks for the update.
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic
              Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Thanks mate,

Bit more done this week, Think I've finalised where everything's going to be.

Moved the radiator as far forward and over to the N/S as possible. This gives me loads of room for the radiator hoses, lets me put the fan on the back of the rad and keeps the widest part of the fan well away from the run of the aux belt. If I'm honest I hadn't given the fan side of things to much thought, just assumed I'd be able to squeeze a fan or two on the front with out too much hassle. As it turns out once mocked up it was clear due to the size of the radiator and the centre bar thing that I'd be lucky to get a single 10" fan on. Quite a few of the others who have done similar swaps had done away with centre bar but you loose the second, back up bonnet latch which from a previous experience of a bonnet opening at speed I wasn't keen to do. Luckily with a bit of playing about I managed to get the radiator over and forward enough to allow me to get a slim 12" fan down the back, it looks close in the pics but there's actually good clearance everywhere it needs to be. With a bit of bending and a couple of new holes I've managed to reuse the stock top mounts for the radiator, just need to get some bosses welded on for them to sit on. As usual the bits I've ordered seem to be taking forever to turn up, when they turn up I can get it away to get the welding done.

Had a last minute change of plan with oil cooler. I originally wanted it on the offside just inward of the towing eye but it was with in 10mm of the clips on the bumper grills. The lines didn't really sit well either, too many turns in too little space and they felt forced so decided to abort the plan.

Moved it over a bit and got the clearance from the bumper I wanted also gained some flex back in the lines. Made some brackets up to take the rubber mounts for the cooler and one that'll use to attached the lines to to secure them a bit.

Had my first crack at making down pipes. I had a spare pair of manifolds so cut off the original flanges as they were going to be too long, welded on one half of the V band. Only slight issue was the O/S one was a pig to change over, had to unbolt the engine mount and lift the motor a bit to get it changed over. I was hoping to get away with elbows top and bottom and a straight bit of pipe between but as usual it wasn't quite so easy. A few angled cuts to gain a few degrees of bend here and there and we got there in the end, they both exit level and straight so should be easy enough to continue through to a set of cats.

As the cars sat for quite a few months now and will probably be sitting for quite a few more I swapped the Avus's over to the RC's, tyres are shot on the RC's and don't want to ruin the new ones on the Avus's.

Comment

Great work, and fantastic detailed pics.
                  Keep them coming. Getting a lot of info on how to sort out some of this issues on mine from the pics alone
                  Thanks for sharing
                  Gav
                  S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

wow, great project. only found the thread today, but now in follow-mode

Comment

Yep it's a great project all right done by a clever bloke. Loving the updates and can't wait to see this get finished.
                      96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                      96 URS6 plus speck estate
                      94 2.6 80 Avant
                      99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Thanks guys. Not so sure about the clever bloke bit though, I'm learning as I go but the curve's getting steeper!!

Ups and downs this week. Collected the radiator and it fits perfect, my measurements all seem to have been fine and the guy did a nice job, quick too.

Ordered up some clamps for the pipe work so hopefully they'll be here soon, with a bit of shaping and relocating even managed to reuse the original top mounts.

Now for the downs,

There's been a few things that I hadn't really given much thought to, purely as I didn't think they'd be any issue but I was wrong.

The fuel lines, thought they'd more or less just bolt up, wrong!!

The feed one fits, not perfect but I can tweak it better. The return is causing me an issue though as the regulator is in line with the rail and not perpendicular like the feed. There's no way I have the length to sweep the line around and on to it plus the throttle body restricts access. Bit research tells me the threads are M14x1.5 but struggling so far to find a nice compact elbow to sweep it around before it hits the throttle body. I have noticed some of the newer V8s have a barbed fitting on the return so assuming the return pressure isn't that great(?), need to sit down and do some more research and hopefully find an answer.

Air intake has brought more issues I wasn't prepared for, again assumed they'd be easy to cobble together.

The main hard pipe that comes off the rubber oval to round transition piece at the throttle projects right through the brake MC and reservoir,

Came up with a rough solution but not entirely happy with it just yet,

Thought of trying to find a different shape/size reservoir so scanned ebay for inspiration and drew a blank until I came across a remote one from an A2. The hard lines are no use but the plugs for the MC fit and the reservoir is fairly compact. The only draw back is I'm struggling to get it as high as I'd like, the hoses to connect it to the MC will likely have a slight sweep in them so might cause initial issues for bleeding.

Moving the reservoir helped but didn't solve the problem so though I'd have a wee bash at modifying the hard pipe too, a bit drastic but took a scallop out of the pipe then taped up to mimic it been sealed up. It looks a huge chunk from the outside of the pipe but from the inside it doesn't look too bad.

It actually fits quite well, unless I can come up with a better solution I'll epoxy it up with some fibre mat and add a bracket to secure it to something.

In case you hadn't guessed I'm probably way beyond my knowledge/experience level so if you have any hints, suggestions or advice please feel free to tell me, more importantly if you think I'm doing anything stupid definitely tell me!!!

Comment

Finally a productive week, quite a few niggles sorted out.

Eventually found a nice wee hydraulic elbow for the fuel line so hopefully I can cross them off the list of things to do.

I was never happy with the remote brake reservoir idea as I just could couldn't get it as high as I'd like so took a punt on another intake pipe from Ebay. Luckily it payed off, fits and clears the M/C and just clears reservoir. I think I've found a VW reservoir that will get me a bit more clearance(hopefully) and once I decide on what filter/airbox I'm using I'll fab a simple bracket just to pull it in towards the motor a bit to gain a bit more.

Final oil lines were made off,

After weeks/months of dithering I finally made the decision and ordered up a standalone ECU and loom. I went for Emerald mostly due to fact they've been fantastic answering all my beginner questions and explaining things in simpleton talk, it seems to do more than I'll actually need and looks reasonably easy to install. I decided to take the dash out to hopefully make the install a bit easier and catch a couple of jobs, old alarm removal and heater matrix. Dash came out reasonably easy but the blower/heater unit was nightmare, seriously dreading putting them back in.

And as it was my birthday this week I treated myself to another set of wheels. I'd been looking for a set of 4 BBS LM127's for months but they seem to really rare and crazy expensive. Most sellers wouldn't budge much on price and would only take a bank transfer but eventually I got an original set from Germany. Bizarrely they actually turned up on my birthday, all look good and were exactly as advertised. The lips have the usual lifting lacquer but that's easy enough to sort, they run true and the centres are actually pretty good so might leave them as they are. Couldn't resist a trial fit, safe to say I think the 19" LMs I picked up earlier will be going up for sale shortly.

Comment

Great work and update. What was your intake pipe from in the end? The remote reservoir looked like a promising option. It’s coming together though, looks like you got the fuel line return sorted too
                            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Still pottering away on this,

Thinned out most of the old 2.8 loom whilst on the car, identifying every wire from engine to ECU etc then chopping the surplus and keeping only what I need. Thinned out a V8 loom down to only the bits I need, now ready to fit back onto the engine, feed through bulkhead and connect to the new ECU.

With the help of Keiron20v and Add(Adam) I managed to track down and borrow the crank locking tool so finally got the crank bolt nipped up.

Painted some calipers, new dust seals and bleaders now fitted.

Managed to buy adaptors to mount the cayenne rear calipers and luckily John B helped me out with a drawing of the bracket I need to mount the Brembo handbrake calipers, so after a couple of attempts made a pair of those, test fitting went well. Just waiting on braided lines to turn up and need to finish off modifying avant handbrake cables.

Collected my LMs from Mike the polisher and rebuilt them with gold bolts and stupidly overpriced centre caps,

And a quick test fit for caliper clearance,

Comment

That's a great update and loving those wheels.
                                96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                                96 URS6 plus speck estate
                                94 2.6 80 Avant
                                99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Working...
                                X