No announcement yet.

4.2 V8 Coupe Quattro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, you've been a busy boy! Those LMs are stunning, I'd not have the gold bolts or red caps but its all personal taste
    RE: the intake pipe, you might find you have a few more options and more space if you can run an e-throttle from a more modern V8 - does Emerald support that? There are a few sizes and they are cheap and really easy to get hold of. Its always going to be a pain in that cramped area at the back of the engine bay. Are you going to map it yourself?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      Wow, you've been a busy boy! Those LMs are stunning, I'd not have the gold bolts or red caps but its all personal taste
      RE: the intake pipe, you might find you have a few more options and more space if you can run an e-throttle from a more modern V8 - does Emerald support that? There are a few sizes and they are cheap and really easy to get hold of. Its always going to be a pain in that cramped area at the back of the engine bay. Are you going to map it yourself?
      Bizarre thing is the main reason I went for the AHC was it was the highest BHP lump but with a cable throttle as I thought it'd be an easier install. I think the way it stands at the mo it should be ok but time will tell, I might change to a e-throttle further down the line but really need to concentrate on getting it running at least.
      Wouldn't have a clue where to begin mapping, I'm already out of my comfort zone and a bit worried in case I've cut away something I might need or something worse!! It's supposed to be a pre configured ECU to get me up and running so no idea how good that map will be but think I've found somewhere not too far from me with a 4wd hub dyno that can map Emerald so think I'll get it over to them asap.

Comment

Nice project.I would keep any extra bits/mods for later on .
        Cant wait to see it running.

Comment

Originally posted by piotr View Post
          Nice project.I would keep any extra bits/mods for later on .
          Cant wait to see it running.
          Thanks, Doesn't really feel like it'll be running anytime soon but still pottering away with it.

Got the brakes finished up, swapped the front 17Zs for 18Zs for the smaller pistons, had to get longer handbrake cables and then shorten a bit which wasn't the easiest thing to do but got there in the end, other than that everything else went to plan.

Still slowly working my way through the wiring. The looms fitted to the engine and wrapped in the bits from the cars loom I need to keep, looks quite tidy so fairly happy with it. I'm now down to just one wire in the car that I've no idea where it goes or what it does/did, just need to thoroughly go through the diagrams again and see if I can spot it. Next stage is to find somewhere for the new ECU and relays then connect up the harness for it, thinking about under the rear seat at the mo as there's a bit of room there and it's easy to access.

And finally the bad bit, cars developed acne, one step forwards two steps back . Just about every panel of my 15mth old paint is covered in microblisters, literally just appeared over a few days, gutted doesn't quite cover it.......

Comment

Gutted, that’ll need to be stripped back and re painted - moisture in the paint due to poor preparation & bad painting environment - cold or humidity
            100% the painters issue, hopefully they suck it up and stand by their work.

Why did you swap the 17z for 18z?
            17z are a more powerful calliper due to the larger pistons
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
              Gutted, that’ll need to be stripped back and re painted - moisture in the paint due to poor preparation & bad painting environment - cold or humidity
              100% the painters issue, hopefully they suck it up and stand by their work.

Why did you swap the 17z for 18z?
              17z are a more powerful calliper due to the larger pistons
              Yeah, That's what I was initially thinking but the only panels that haven't blistered so far are the wings. The car had a bad paint job before I got it and I had a play at painting the replacement wings so now wondering if there's a issue between the car's original and the new paint that's caused it. I'd love to take a razor blade to one to see how deep in the paint they actually go but I'll pop down and speak to him first and see what he says, I've known him for years so hopefully it'll all work out.

Larger piston area on the rear now so didn't want to over stretch the M/C, 18Zs and the 345mm discs will be more than up to the job for my driving style.

Comment

Have you got an adjustable bias valve? If not, Id get one.
                Be wary of rear lockup it’s very easy to over cook the F/R brake balance with our poor weight distribution.
                In an emergency stop or on track - in both scenarios you want a predictable rear end, trust : D
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

On my coupe I had 17zr/zl 330mm fronts and the rears 300mm with Porsche Boxster 2.7 4 pots and ap/ brembo mech hb like john b.I didn’t know how it would perform on hard braking so I went to a private road did several emergency stops at different speeds every time I stepped on brake pedal hard the car did not lock up it squat every time yes there was slight bit of pedal travel but I was more than happy for price I payed for full setup all best michael

Comment

Really nice project
                    It's bringing up a lot of memories for me having just done a v8 swap in my saloon,as for the ecu,i also went for emerald and so far i'm very happy,mine fired up first crank with the supplied base map.
                    Terrible shame about the paint ,hopefully you get it sorted without any hassle
                    It's a love/hate relationship with the S2,i love it,it hates me

Comment

• Originally posted by add View Post
                      Really nice project
                      It's bringing up a lot of memories for me having just done a v8 swap in my saloon,as for the ecu,i also went for emerald and so far i'm very happy,mine fired up first crank with the supplied base map.
                      Terrible shame about the paint ,hopefully you get it sorted without any hassle
                      Thanks Adam

After a couple of days running through the various checks finally plucked up the courage to attempt a start.

She finally lives, rough but totally over the moon with it.

1st start,
                      https://youtu.be/jaYDlazaeE8

2nd with a bit tweeking,
                      https://youtu.be/gYiUBmiOgxg

Last edited by Greg_S; 20 February 2018, 22:24.

Comment

• Awesome...just wait till you give it a test drive! it's a bit wierd being in an audi 80 with a big v8 under the bonnet

Comment

• Originally posted by add View Post
                          Awesome...just wait till you give it a test drive! it's a bit wierd being in an audi 80 with a big v8 under the bonnet
                          I'm looking forward to it but also dreading it a wee bit, don't have much faith in my own work!!

What gearbox/flywheel set up are you using Adam? I think my timings out because of where I mounted the crank sensor on the 01A so think I need to tweek the reference position in my map a bit.

Comment

• Sounds mental

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ajax1976 View Post

I'm looking forward to it but also dreading it a wee bit, don't have much faith in my own work!!

What gearbox/flywheel set up are you using Adam? I think my timings out because of where I mounted the crank sensor on the 01A so think I need to tweek the reference position in my map a bit.
                              I know what you mean, it is a little daunting,i'm sure it will be fine when the time comes though
                              I'm using an 01a aswell,flywheel is an auto flexplate/adapter combo from 034,it has the 60-2 ring gear machined on it,thats coupled to a sachs sre clutch from a urs4.
                              Have you checked the timing with a timing light yet? from memory my reference position is 84 degrees,bear in mind also with wasted spark ignition you need to double the value you will see on the light (42 degrees in my case)
                              I'm assuming your cps is mounted in the existing hole in the gearbox? my 01a came from an early 10v coupe so i had to drill and tap a mounting for the sensor,works fine though.
                              You will know straight away when your timing is correct,the engine will really wake up with some throttle

Comment

• Absolutely fantastic project loved reading it again. Bet you're pleased there's some light at the of the tunnel!!? And what an awesome sounds

Comment

Working...
                                X