No announcement yet.

4.2 V8 Coupe Quattro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can clean your injectors so long as you pay the postage can't do a print out although I could photo them if you like or maybe video them. Pm me if you like. Cheers Lynn

Comment

• Originally posted by LSG View Post
      I can clean your injectors so long as you pay the postage can't do a print out although I could photo them if you like or maybe video them. Pm me if you like. Cheers Lynn
      Thanks for the kind offer Lynn, I managed to get them sorted local to me.

So I was quite uneasy about tinkering about with the tuning of the ECU, I read a lot about it and played about a bit but was lacking confidence. The car's no MOT or insurance so road testing was limited to 2nd gear blasts up and down my street, far from ideal. Eventually I found somewhere not so far from me that has tuned Emerald so booked my day with him.

Early start today,

All strapped down and ready to go,

Never had a car on a rolling road before or even been there when ones being done, what an adrenaline rush. One minute I was petrified, next I'm nervous it's going to go bang, then next I'm shocked at the noise, heat etc, what an experience!!! After a good few hours both the car and I survived, it performed perfectly and nothing broken. I was expecting the cooling to be an issue but the guy said it was a lot better than most cars he does with no need to rest it too long between runs.

For a late 90's engine with unknown history I'm happy with the results and delighted it all went so well, The results......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZLpjhi6NvWE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hs0yNW9Lpws?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLpjhi6NvWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs0yNW9Lpws

Also treated her to another set of wheels, another of my all time favs, need to start buying tyres now

LM's or Superleggeras?????

Comment

• Happy you got the car sorted I bet your well chuffed. We dyno bikes every day, most off them being 500+ bhp Its a real eye opener when you see your own vehicle on the rollers.. anyway a good result. Cars looking nice, will you get it on the road now . L,M's I think would look great. kind regards Lynn.

Comment

• Good result and a timely update, it was only the other week or so I was wondering how you were getting on with your project. So what's next in the pipeline other than getting it MOT ready? My preference would be LMs.

Comment

• Thanks guys!!

The plan was to wait until next year to put it on the road but I'm itching to drive it now, I honestly didn't think the RR day would go without a hitch so was assuming I'd have to fix or change something.

Unfortunately with my 2yr old paint job going bad I think I'll be saving for another paint job over the winter, the hot summer really helped it with the majority of the blisters disappearing but they've started to come back. In reality It's only going to get worse, it makes me angry every time I look at it so need to get it sorted properly. Some of the filler work has also gone bad quickly so have lost faith in the guys skills.

I've got some interior bits to finish up, got an itch for a roll cage so doing some research on that.
            On a brighter note I have to agree with the above comments, the LM's have won the race for the first set of tyres. The OZs will have to wait a bit for theirs, going to refurb them as I think they'll look better in silver or perhaps gold, something for me to potter away with myself. On a side note the OZs came with stretch tyres, I'm not totally against subtle stretch but these are 8.5" and came with 205/35's!! They look ridiculous, I dread to think what they drove like if you were brave enough, I'm certainly not.

Managed to get the bumper back on just before a monsoon started, I'd forgotten how good looking a car she is, can't wait to get back out and get the lights finished off.

Love my wheel collection but the car just suits the Avus's so much, even with out the centre caps fitted.

Last edited by ajax1976; 12 October 2018, 18:01.

Comment

• Great to see the car fully up and running
              When it's road test time don't forget to make some vids!
              I have to say i'm in the avus camp,they suit the car so well yet give it a factory look
              It's a love/hate relationship with the S2,i love it,it hates me

Comment

• Yup, keep the Avus & sell me the LMs

Really pleased the mapping went well mate, not surprised you are itching to drive it now. As above, make some vids when you do
                Where did you get to with the paint? Clearly the painter is responsible, are they going to refund you?

I have a set of Superleggera IIIs that are in dire need of a refurb - I am scared of trying to undo the titanium bolts though, if the heads round out there is no hope of drilling them out so EDM would be the only option and the threads would never recover. I'm sure I don't trust any wheel refurbisher to try it though! Am I right in thinking there is a special tool required for the bolts?
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Avus all the way the others aren't bad either lol!!! Super Coupe by the way

Comment

• I like the Avus and BBS.....not so keen on the OZ. That trim on the N/S wing...… even the factory paint seems to not want to stick to the side rubbing strips?

Taking shape though

Comment

• Thanks guys, As their easy to clean the Avus will be staying on over winter!!

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                      Yup, keep the Avus & sell me the LMs

I have a set of Superleggera IIIs that are in dire need of a refurb - I am scared of trying to undo the titanium bolts though, if the heads round out there is no hope of drilling them out so EDM would be the only option and the threads would never recover. I'm sure I don't trust any wheel refurbisher to try it though! Am I right in thinking there is a special tool required for the bolts?
                      I think its a M7 10 point bit, I bought a Laser one that fits although it's not quite as snug as I'd hoped but someones been at mine before as a few look a bit worn. I've only done one wheel so far but they all seemed to free off without any disasters.

Had it out for a quick run yesterday, fast and loud enough for me. It just continues to pull and pull although I didn't push too hard as I still feel I'm learning the car, not so keen on the lack of feel from the steering but I'll just need to get used to it. With the bumper on she did run a bit hotter than I'd like 95-100, after a spirited drive I got caught in a set of temp lights but the fan did it's job and kept it under the 100. I'll need to do some more testing but might have to consider opening up the number plate recess to expose more of the radiator, possibly some bonnet vents to let some heat out. Had my hopes set on waterless coolant to drop it a few degrees but after some research I read it actually raises the temps.

Comment

• Where did you get the alloy rad from and how come you didn’t run the OEM V6 item?
                        My experience of aftermarket rads is that you get what you pay for and the efficiency of the core makes a massive difference.
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• You already know I am a fan, so what an I say! Great to hear its getting there (at work so haven't seen the videos yet), be interested who did the injector work as local to you, is local to me and you never know. Looking forward to seeing the car in the flesh some time, Volksfling 2019?
                          Last edited by Rubberdubber; 18 October 2018, 21:24.

Comment

• The car looks tip top! ​​​​​​
                            As for the paint on those side trims; I think they are cast aluminium (or other similar alloy) and that would require an etch primer on the bare metal for paint to stick properly. However you get the problem sorted it might be worth pointing that out of you are not doing it yourself, I wonder if the painter skipped that? Mine is lifting slightly on those trims as well

​​​
                            ​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                              Where did you get the alloy rad from and how come you didn’t run the OEM V6 item?
                              My experience of aftermarket rads is that you get what you pay for and the efficiency of the core makes a massive difference.
                              Bought it from Summit Racing in the states on the recommendation of a guy over there, he ran it and said he had no issues with it

From what I read the V6 one was too small and a nightmare to plumb as it's not dual pass. The Afco one I have is larger volume than the V6, almost as much as the original V8 one in the S8.

Not sure what direction to take with it. Hack the bumper for more airflow, Go for a custom one as large as I can fit but with 90 degree elbows for the inlet/outlet with hopefully a larger fan(s) or run an aux radiator.
                              From rough measurements I think I can squeeze an Audi 200 aux one behind the lower bumper grills although I'll need to move my oil cooler.

Comment

• Size & volume isn't really important - efficiency is.
                                If I was you I would try and fit an OEM part, these will be high quality and have efficient cores - I'd be surprised if the OE V6 unit wouldn't do a better job than that China-Yank special you got there.

If an OEM unit isn't an option due to plumbing issues, get a proper fabricator to make you something to suit using a high quality, high efficiency UK made core. This won't be the cheapest option but it will work. Buy cheap, buy twice. Just my 2c
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X