20V CQ Tidy Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
    Is that STILL in the car Pete, hope those rags haven't come out the ends or the new owner is going to get a shock when he opens the boots and get the eggy stench of old diff oil
    Well the diff was removed from the car today as its going to poland (why can't the immigrants go with it ) and yup it had left the box and the boot stunk but luckily the boot release needed a new rod which i'd mentioned so not a problem.

Forgot to bring this amongst other things up to alex so will do soon.

Comment

right - some more progress:-

Heated seats installed with modified backrest to work properly too, see the bottom of this thread.

Half way through installing the cruise set-up, need to lengthen the vacuum hose and the wiring loom between the pump and the ECU / switch loom.

Fitted 5 stud hubs and ABY stuts, now running some stock 16" Avus and loving the proper solid ride the S2 set-up gives over the CQ wallow-tastic set-up

Picked up these little puppies form the powder coaters today

Just waiting for the seal kits to turn up and then they'll be rebuilt and fitted as the final part of my almost complete brake refurbishment. Bores could do with a clean as there is some sticky gum in there from the blanking foil used in the coating process:

Next job for now is to replace my broken gearbox mount, which is where this comes in.
      I've decided to use A4 stainless fixings where possible for undercarriage fixings. This will be where there are not critical or stretch bolts, and where i'd prefer not to struggle with further work if / when neccessary. Also these are cheaper than using factory fixings

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

God i love these light evenings!!!

fitted my rebuild front calipers this evening, as well as freeing up my front tie rods so i can get 4 wheel alignment done this weekend.
        (Yes I have got a pair of new front wings to go on )

Now got rebuilt front and rear calipers, braided lines, replaced servo, replaced master clyinder. PAS pump is a bit noisy, so i mght look out for a low mileage replacement.
        Bomb is dead and will be changed at some point soon...

I should really change the thread name to "Home Made S2" since thats what i'm pretty much doing by the look of it

Now got the S2 hubs & S2 struts and running some 16" Avus while i save up for some nice 17s or 18s. Now the car is in good running order, next two tasks are to tidy up the bodywork and polybush the car. Then some monos and a 20vt to follow next year probably!

Next job is fitting my dirty mo-fo cone filter

Including the cost of the car and everything bought so far i guess i've spent about £750 - 800 now ... not bad IMHO
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Get the cone filter on there.

Wished you'd have said when I had that 20v the psp was brand new on it and only used for the tow home, its now on a s2 up north

Thought you had a bomb off me, iirc that was quite new as well.

Doing good on the cost, i'm going to be spending about 1k on the cq i've got to go collect.

Comment

D'oh!! no worries on the pump! You win some you lose some!!
            That bomb is better than the one that came off, but only a few pumps in it... i'll get in touch with Paul at CAC sometime.

TBH, almost half the cash has gone on the interior which was look very sorry for itself, and toys (heated seats & cruise).

Once i've poly-bushed it and had the bodywork attended to i'd guestimate the total cost to be around £1200, the car should be worth a bit more than that too ( I hope!)

Then i can start wasting money on a 3B / ABY lump in there
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post

I thought i'd try some since my boot lining is all junk and its out of the way while i'm waiting for new stuff. Since the likes of dynamat etc are ridiculously expensive, and lining my cavities with it () would cost more than i paid for the car, i've gone the cheapo route and used good old flashing tape

Took me 2 x 10m rolls to double layer the boot - equivalent cost in dynamat would be about £230.
              Cost me £17.98 from my local builders merchants - nuff said.

Car is now about as quiet as it was with the boot lining set in, so hoping for a very nice and civilised drive... one day
              Hiya mate, qucik question, can i assume that would make a good substitute for the sound deadening under the carpets in the footwells, as mines knackered after water entry...
              Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

yes i think it would mate, i've also been recommended underlay for laminate flooring as being a good cost effective option too - i'd suggest trying both togther. The flashing tape will act as top stop vibration in the panels, the underlay will absorb and reflect some sound and heat too
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Well your getting progress with this and have a few more things to add to it after this weekend

Can't wait till I get two weeks off at the end of june/july time, might get to do some proper work on mine.

Comment

Yeah its going well, really enjoying driving it and gradually beginning to iron out all the little problems.
                    Got a list of little jobs this weekend:

swap back boxes
                    replace lower trim set
                    replace rear ABS sensors
                    adjust both window mechanisms
                    adjust door hinges
                    check engine mounts for play / breakage
                    refurb and fit S2 ARB

and give it a clean for the first time in 3 months

Hopefully getting the sills repaired in a couple of weeks, then i have an appointment with the perfectionist himself at the end of June
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Lol well let me know if you need anymore bits and i'll have a look

Btw get that heatshield made up to protect your idle valve.

Comment

• yeah i've made a template for it and got some ally sheet, my saw packed up before i got the chance to cut it out though
                        Another job for the weekend!

After some door handles / armrests and centre console in that real dark blue to match my doorcards & dash. I've got black at the moment, they stand out a bit and irritating my little OCD brain
                        I'll get pic up later

Also after one of those 22mm ARBs Mr Casey was looking at :mischeif:
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Lol I should be able to get the arb's and the interior parts you need pm me the info/colour and i'll ask around.

Comment

• Car has been in the body shop getting the sills repaired this week:
                            Not quite perfect as you can see the sill isn't quite straight but to be honest i'm not overly bothered, and for what I paid i can't complain - done in new stone chip and flashed over in satin black, also new lower mouldings on too - just waiting to fit my new wings beffore the front lower wing trims go on to match.
                            Starting to look like it should now

From this:

to this:

Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Right, been a bit rubbish at updating my progress with my ongoing daily driver / project

Quite a bit has happened on the car - iIve been to see The Perfectionist to get my paint restored. The car now looks great after Steve worked his magic, a massive improvement over the clouded, oxidised and swirled mess it was in before - thanks again Steve, stirling work

I've also been to this scary state to sort out my steamy vent problems before the winter.

Dare i say it not that bad a job once you get into it - it looks worse than it is. but then again I don't have aircon. ...... and i DEFINATELY don't want to do it again. so in went a brand new matrix. Thank god they're cheap

This was the culprit - years of rotting in filthy old coolant to blame here I think:

Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• I've also been collecting suspension parts for total refresh down under.
                                Since i'm taking the CQ off to an airfield trackday in a couple of weeks, i thought i'd better pull my finger out and deal with the jelly bushes i've got going on at the front.

Subframe and forged wishbones back from shotblasting:

I decided not to powdercoat after bit of suspension stuff i've done in the past didn't last long. In my expereince, PC chips easily, and becasue its so hard, rust spreads underneath the coating and then it falls off in big chunks. I wanted my hard work to last, so i'm used POR15 to paint anything exposed to the elements - amzing stuff

I'm also rebushing the entire car with polyurethane - I wanted a very tight feel to the car, but it's a daily driver too so i'm not using alloy mounts anywhere. Hopefully i've made the right choice.

Subframe &forged arms with bushes installed, and 26mm front ARB with poly buhes to go on too.
                                I thought the paint would be more of a grey colour but its bright silver - a bit bling for me but it'll soon get a bit of flith on it

Superflex subframe bushes:

Powerflex wishbone bushes:

and the final treat for now, 034 Street Density engine mounts - thanks Aron!

This lot, along with some new ball joints i'm picking up tomorrow, will be fitted this weekend with any luck.
                                Can't ****ing wait to drive the car with proper tight ***** steering! Woot!
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X