No announcement yet.

Greg_S S2 Coupe 20+ years going strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTDT with the oil pump bolts as the torque setting in the bentley manual was just plain wrong. Luckly i knew the elastic feeling was a stretching bolt before it let go, 10nm sounds about right as there only mild steel bolts.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

I have sheared off one of the these bolts off before trying for 20nm as per the Bentley. Since found out 10nm is the factory spec.
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Some good progress has been made the last couple of days. Got the procon 10 brackets painted and few bits of surface rust treated in engine bay.

Crank and rods are now in and torqued up, oil pump and crank seal fitted but awaiting the second sump seal before I can do up properly. Ordered a genuine headgasket to be on the safe side, the gasket set I had was a BGA which has been pretty good so far, but didnt want to risk it with the head gasket even though it looks very similar.

Got the cams out ready to be sent off for coating too.

Also on the subject of the oil pump I count myself quite lucky after that torque setting nightmare, see attached piccy. The one on the left made the snapping noise, but the one on the right was on the verge of it since it was thinning in the middle.

Also got a reply from VW about Golf too, so will see what happens there. Now I chased it up through Motor Codes and there quality manager I have finally get a response.
        Attached Files
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Ive managed to get some more time off work to come and do some more on the S2, and been scuppered almost immediately. Just dropped cams back in the head and started to torque up and had one of the studs shear.

So just got a full set on order to replace them all to be on the safe side, didnt think it was worth risking. Just debating whether to fit the head without cams in, but tempted to wait until I have them back in the head before I do that just to make sure valves are all opened in the right order before its fitted.
          Greg

Comment

Good to see it's progressing, I managed to snap a couple of those cam studs too when I was re-checking torque after a few hundred miles... I can't recall the figure now I think it's 10 or 15nm on those, I tried to tighten a couple of them an extra 5NM by mistake and they just sheared with no effort, easy done!
            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Yeah I double checked the torque wrench and was set correctly for 15nm, I found 3 that had stretched in addition to the one that broke so changing them all to be on the safe side. Goto get the snub mount sorted next so I can used the crank locking too I have borrowed. The one on mine was modified for aftermarket aircon many moons ago, if I dont manage to get hold of one I will have to make a tool up myself. Fingers crossed the new cam cap studs will be here tomorrow morning and I can continue.

Any tips on getting the 3B flywheel timed up in right place after putting the crank pulley on, need to check where the timing pins need to line up with when I bolt the flywheel on?
              Greg

Comment

Greg

The flywheel will only fit in one position.

Darren.

Comment

Ah ok, I havent checked that yet because its still on the engine stand attached at that end. Does it align on the flywheel for the timing positions?
                  Greg

Comment

Yes, as the bolt pattern is such that it will only fit to the crank in one position.

Regards,

Darren.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the info about the cam studs, I'm going to order some now to be on the safe side. Good luck finishing off the build.
                      96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
                      96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

They should be here later on so I will post the part number for them up
                        Greg

Comment

Cams are back in and torqued up now.

The part number for the studs is: 030 103 397 A x 24 @ ~£2.30+vat each

Off to put head on now...
                          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                            Cams are back in and torqued up now.

The part number for the studs is: 030 103 397 A x 24 @ ~£2.30+vat each
                            any reason why you didn't fancy upgrading the studs?....

i must start my engine thread....

Comment

I didnt see any need to on the cam caps since all stock lifters and cams in place.

Just got crank tightened. Crank vs socket adaptor. Crank bolt 1 socket adaptor 0.
                              Greg

Comment

Good to see you able to have some time for the old girl Greg, should be back up and running in no time

Comment

Working...
                                X