No announcement yet.

Greg_S S2 Coupe 20+ years going strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error404 massive thanks for the loan of the locking tool. So much easier with the right tools, I had purchased a good quality 3/4" 1m breaker bar, impact extension and socket. For tightening the crank bolt I also had 1.5m bar to go over the breaker bar too. The torque on the crank bolt is insane, the breaker bar was visibly bending tightening it up.

Jobs done today:
    • Fitted Billet Crank Pulley from terrybullwon
    • Fitted new RS2 timing belt
    • Fitted new PAS and alternator belts
    • Changed oil and mahle filter for some Fuchs Titan Pro S 10w50
    • Changed air filter for mahle
    I still have a long list of jobs to do, but got the bumper and headlights etc back in, but still need to align the bumper and refit the under tray. Then I can turn attention to changing spark plugs which need doing, fitting MAF pins I've had for ages and various bits like the door card rubbers.

img_20171022_111359919_37593099310_o.jpg​​​​​​​
    Attached Files
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• A bit more progress made this afternoon. Got the pollen filter changed over, finished refitting the bumper and under tray. One of the rubber mountings for the airbox popped out when I was changing the filter the other day so i refitted that and discovered my lambda probe had worked loose, got that tightened up aswell.

Gave the old girl a wash and ready for the next set of jobs to start, will be looking at the misfire next and fitting new plugs before anything else. Got the sunday service at Silverstone with Pistonheads next weekend to look forward to but going in a friends corvette rather than the S2 this time
      Greg

Comment

• A bit more tinkering this evening. Screw for the side repeater ordered and new plugs fitted so will see if that stops the misfire on boost when it’s back on the road again. Old and new plugs. Old plugs look in good condition overall (F5DPOR)
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        Last edited by Greg_S; 28 October 2017, 20:07.
        Greg

Comment

• Fitting is turning out not to be simple, looks like two have been helicoiled in the past and on two of the plugs the helicoils have come out with the plugs. Any advice welcome.

looking around on the net timesert seems to be a good bet with solid inserts into the head, not a job I’m sure I want to tackle. I’m based not too far from Bedford if anyone can recommend places that might be able to do the work.
          Last edited by Greg_S; 28 October 2017, 21:46.
          Greg

Comment

• After a bit more research this evening it looks like a common issue on some S2’s and on the list to check spark plugs are torqued correctly and checked. I’m going to look some more into timesert. the question is would I need to increase the insert size and retap again or would an m14 to m12 be ok? I’m considering putting the Bosch plugs back to get it to a garage but will see.
            Greg

Comment

• After a bit more research I think I’ve found the right kit for fixing the spark plug thread http://media.wuerth.com/stmedia/shop....all/01824.pdf.

The reach on the NGK site shows a reach of 19mm but the corresponding thread kit is 15.4mm for the cone threaded insert. I expect this is due to the measurements on the spark plug also including the taper of the seat. Will need to do some measurements.

http://media.wuerth.com/stmedia/shop....all/03210.pdf

Installing doesn’t look too difficult if the swarf is kept out of the bores http://media.wuerth.com/stmedia/shop....all/01825.pdf
              Greg

Comment

• Not too much of an update just yet other than I have got the kit from Wurth for the spark plug thread inserts and a USB boroscope to help with the job. If im feeling brave I'll make a start at the weekend. I have also got myself a gamma head unit to fit at some point
                Greg

Comment

• Finally found some time to get some work done on the car this weekend. Managed to get the first timesert fitted for the spark plug. One more to go, took far longer than I expected because it was a complete pita to get the seat cutter out of the spark plug hole. I resorted to 2 screw drivers to lift it up enough and then quickly grab a magnetic pickup without it falling back down the hole again.

Attached Files
                  Greg

Comment

• Well I found some more time today and got the second timesert fitted along with the new plugs I had planned to fit back in October. I also gave her a wash, swapped over the aero wiper arms to standard arms and fitted a missing clip on the rs2 grille.

feeling a bit more love for the s2 now that is sorted, I was going to replace the door card rubbers today aswell, but ran out of time, I’ll post a few pics up of the kit when I get out there over the xmas break.

next up is to loosen the steering arms so I can do alignment
                    Greg

Comment

• Spent a little more time out on the car today and started to work my way through the list of jobs I have. A quick one today fitting a new rubber on the drivers door. The old one was so brittle it fell apart when I tried to remove it. New one fitted, it doesn't look the same a the original one but fitted quite nicely with a bit of tweaking.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 3 photos.
                      Greg

Comment

• I tried to make a bit more progress today with a few set backs.

I got the other seal installed on the passenger side. However the doors now will not lock on central locking. I've taken the card of passenger side and tried with the key but still can't lock on that side. I need to take the driver's side off and check that too.

Any tips on what to check for? When you run on key fob it attempts to close but releases because the pressure isn't enough to close them.

Also a picture of the time sheet kit that had been a life saver fixing the spark plug threads after the helicoils came out on the plugs.

I also need the stainless seat and scree for the side of the door card of anyone has one?
                        Greg

Comment

• Well I solved the door locking issue. When I refitted the interior door handles there is a little cap to locate the cables for the door handles, I had them set about 4mm too far out, moved them back and all is good.

also fitted the standard non air con blower box back in as it had aftermarket air on fitted many moons ago that has been removed a long while back.

not sure if these updates are making it to the main forum notifications for unread though?
                          Greg

Comment

• Hi Greg, I’ve done exactly the same thing once with the cable locating “hat”, there are 2 possible places to fit them.

I might have one of those special screws and cup washer for the door card, I’ll have a look.
                            Now that you’ve got the non-AC heater box in there you can fit the bigger glove box if you want.
                            I’m using Tapatalk and your updates are appearing.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Yeah it’s all too easy to get them in the wrong place. Easily sorted fortunately.

If if you do have the screw and cap that would be great. Let me know.

if anyone has a platinum non air on glovebox let me know.
                              Greg

Comment

• Finally time to blow the cobwebs off and give the s2 a run. Will see how it’s running today and will be checking the plugs later on too.
                                Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X