Greg_S S2 Coupe 20+ years going strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SteveH View Post
    I have Hawk HPS5's on my motor. Good for track and fine on the road.
    What are they like for dust?
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Not bad, but I have graphite grey wheels
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• Thanks both, I can't find the Red Stuffs on their site for AP calipers. I have found the Hawks though. They are a similar price point to the Ferrodo DS3000's too https://www.ferodoracing.com/product...e-pads/ds3000/
        Greg

Comment

• I checked the hawks out and tried to get in touch with the distributor in letchworth to no avail so ordered some ebc yellow stuffs to try https://ebcbrakes.com/product/yellow...nd-track-pads/ they advised against reds for track use. I was tempted to try the blue but the higher dust and noise put me off a bit.
          Greg

Comment

• It was all going too well, when I fitted the pad ive found that one of the pistons on the calipers is leaking brake fluid. I managed to find a set of seals for the AP calipers and paid for it to be shipped overnight. Unfortunately with DPD being a bit **** they didnt send a delivery notification so I didnt get thtem when I need them . Hopefully coming tomorrow now I have paid the faster delivery ransom!

Goto get the piston out of the caliper and change the seals and refit, I havent done this before on the AP Calipers, any tips on swapping them over is welcome? I'll upload some pictures once its all done
            Greg

Comment

• The airline method works well. Put an old towel in the calipers to catch the piston. Use blocks of wood to retain the ones you are not removing. It goes with a pop!
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks Dave, i’ll Give that a go
                Greg

Comment

• You can just lay a spanner down the middle of the caliper and pump them out with the brake fluid. As one piston hit the spanner and stops the next one will start to move out. When they are all almost out remove the spanner then you can just use your fingers to remove them. Also the brake fluid can be replaced at the same time. I think the air line way is ok but aggressive and if one pops out sometimes you have a piston that's stuck. If you get all piston pumped out before you remove any you will have a easier life. Clean any corrosion where seals sit before replacement. I use caliper grease on rebuild. Good luck regards Lynn
                  Last edited by LSG; 8 October 2019, 19:57.

Comment

• Even better idea Lyn. I've only ever done this when the piston was seized and the brakes would not move it. Yours should come out easy and less likely to cause damage that way. If you get someone to gently pump the brakes enough while you watch the piston then clamp the flexi as soon as it's out, you won't get any air up the line. Use a proper hose clamp m mind, not molegrips
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I'll need to invest in some decent clamps. I got the seals changed today, it was really easy to get the piston out. I bought myself a piston spreader tool to make life easier too.
                      I'll get some photos up soon. When I removed the old seals there was a bit of corrosion on the seats for the seals in the calipers which I had to clean up before fitting the new seals. Got those in and power bleeded the caliper and went to bed the pads in some more. It has mad a massive difference to the pedal feel right away so I'll bleed them all properly tomorrow and check them over.
                      Greg

Comment

• Well after the last minute panic to get the caliper seals for the AP calipers I finally got them a day late due to DPD being a PITA on Sat and got them fitted.

Here are a couple of pics from others on the track day. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHxzNiZ

The seals were easier to change than I expected, it just took a while to do and then bleed the brakes. There was a bit of corrosion on the seat of the seals that I had to clean up for the seals to sit flush. After getting it all done the brakes were like night and day different to how they have been.

I had quite a bit of fun on track too, on one of the videos at 7:48

I had a bit of a moment on the greasy track at Donnington as it was raining on arrival, then partially dried in places and rained on and off during the day so getting tyre pressures etc right was a challenge. I took some tuition and really enjoyed the day.

It was a good friendly event too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCev...LK2VFCMnLYL8TA

On track though it was an incredible 10.1mpg, but due to speed restrictions on the M1 30mpg which is unheard of in the s2

48874413563_b4166881da_c.jpg

The chap with the meglio (clio with 2.0t 280hp) was lucky to not do too much damage coming off too, seriously quick but similarly so to the S2 around donnington IMG_20191007_114334 by Greg, on Flickr
                        Attached Files
                        Greg

Comment

• On track though it was an incredible 10.1mpg, but due to speed restrictions on the M1 30mpg which is unheard of in the s2 Yes Greg 30mpg is unheard of but the empty fuel tank is a fare more common sight that we are all too familiar with.

Comment

• Well after a busy winter working on other projects I should be getting back to the S2 in the next couple of weeks to give her an oil change and a run out for the Motech performance meet at Sharnbrook in a few weeks time. While im getting ready for the coming year I'll be checking the state of the front top mounts too now that i have been running the mount savers that Lago Blue supplied. It will be interesting to see how they are holding up after the track day last year.

Then in the spring I have goto have a look at the door cards where the foam is breaking down behind the material so I'll be looking for some advice on how to tackle these.
                            Greg

Comment

• A very delayed run out due to C19 I managed to get out for a run in the S2 yesterday. First time since lockdown and it was really nice to get out in the old girl. Lago Blue the top mount savers are performing really well.

I missed out on a local meet over the weekend unfortunately though but will get back to a few jobs over the winter. I've also decided the S2 is getting a bit too old and expensive to repair doing trackdays so i've taken the plunge to get another car for track and purchased an audi TT to use on track. It needs a bit more work finishing off to make it road legal again but its been taking up more than its fair share of my time recently. But I had to finish getting it a bit more sorted so that I could move it and get the S2 out of the garage too.

So far ive replaced the oil pickup pipe, oil and filter change, fixed several vacuum leaks, fixed a leak on coolant temp sensor. Incidentally on a TT the cost of parts is about a factor of 8 less than the S2 so far!

I'll be keeping an eye out for interchangable parts.

Also unblocked the coolant pipe by engine stat as it was all gunked up and flushed the system through, checked compression and coolant pressurisation which is good. Now that it has side repeaters again its almost ready for an MOT.

I had a go at restoring the plastic headlights with wet n dry which has worked quite well.
                              Greg

Comment

• Ha Ha the cost off TT parts a Greg. Should we remind you of that in 16 years time. When your thinking if only i had acted like a squirrel and got three off every thing when things used to be an 8 cheaper. You no like we wish we had with S2 parts RS2 parts and the list go's on

Comment

Working...
                                X