Greg_S S2 Coupe 20+ years going strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Greg_S
    In between a really busy time at work at the min I have got the steering arm off ready for the tierod group buy and fitting of @lagoblue top mount bits. What is causing me problems now is getting the nut off of the macpherson strut on the lower bolt near the ABS sensor. Its the last few threads before it starts to come off, worst case I'll have to get the ABS sensor off and use some heat. I have soaked it with WD40 and will give it another go tomorrow evening.
    Wire brush and bottle of dettol ;-)

I wouldn't waste any WD40 on that - a nut splitter might help if you can't clean up the thread.

Good luck getting the ABS sensor out too - they can be really evil.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• If your lacking a thread file, you could simply cut another plain nut (into a " C " shape) to make it into an adjustable (i.e. squish-able) thread-chasing die. If need be, you could also grind down one of your now die-nut faces to remove it's internal chamfer, to help you then use it to clean the bolt thread right down close against the installed nut you are hoping to remove.
      Last edited by Lago Blue; 28 August 2018, 15:30. Reason: Clarity.

Comment

• Die grinder with a burr in it and munch the end off the bolt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
          Run the nut back down the bolt and use a thread file on the bolt
          thanks for the tip I'll give that a go.... of to buy a thread file

newsh a big thanks for the glovebox screw trims. Im almost there with fitting in the non aircon glovebox but still need to track down a catch and bulb holder
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Been a while since Ive had time to work on the car. The next batch of tie rod adjusters should be ready next week so I can get my steering arm back. This afternoon i've got the spring and top mount off of the first top mount. The top mount had collapsed and was approx 4mm shorter than the new one I have to fit. Also the bearing in it was shot, you could rock the whole top mounts side to side 3-4mm up and down on either side.

In preparation for refitting I have cleaned the struts up and given them a coat of rust converter tonight ready to give them a first coat of paint tomorrow and I can start to refit back onto the car with the top mount kit from Lago Blue if I get a chance this week. Time is going to be even shorter soon as I start a new job in a few weeks.
            Greg

Comment

• I have a spare set of top mount bearings if you want them. I bought a set and a bush set (which included new bearings). I think they are Rouville. Just cover the postage and they are yours if you want them.
              Dave
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Dave thanks for the offer I will drop you a PM
                Greg

Comment

• Regarding that "top-mount kit", decided to call these "Strut-Stops" as that briefly describes how they function; and to distinguish them from Mance Etheredge's well regarded but NLA "Mount-Savers". To be used with a specific OEM top-mount, their aim is to provide a still comfortable yet perceived as improved, mount driving response and service life by way of a soft mechanical stop, which adds load capacity and limits internal vertical travel between the mount's inner core and outer shell; and therefore also limits strut intrusion into the mount.
                  Last edited by Lago Blue; 1 August 2018, 23:44. Reason: Spelling & clarity.

Comment

• I have the steering arm back from the machine shop now so I can start to put the car back together at last. Shame the nice weather seems to be breaking a bit now. A few photos of the work in progress.img_20180801_175429_43242532694_o.jpg

img_20180801_175421_42152548550_o.jpg.resized.jpg

img_20180810_102119_42152572300_o.jpg.resized.jpg

img_20180810_102115_30092623378_o.jpg.resized.jpg
                    Greg

Comment

• Lago Blue I made some good progress today and got the drivers side all back together along with the top mount supports.

then i turned my attention to the passenger side and had the strut removed with 30mins but that’s where it has gone downhill. After checking the koni shock setting and setting 1 turn from full hard the shock has started to piss oil out. I suspect it had a leak already as there were crystals around the seal.

the question is do I get a pair of konis or bilsteins for the front now, or wait longer with her off the road to stump up the cash for kw v1 or v3?

can the koni shocks be refurbed too?
                      Greg

Comment

• Greg,

Oh no! Well you could say best you found out now vs later.

I've no knowledge either way re Koni rebuild-ability (but they might be, see link), surely others here must have faced this dilemma.

I'm hesitant to make a brand reco as, well each has their devotees and they all have their reasons. Perhaps some rides in other folks cars will help make up your mind?

Technically, I would think in one respect the yellow Bilsteins would last longer as the Mac. strut's side-ways stresses are more widely distributed with them. Certainly in North America, the Bilstein warranty is hard to beat. I would hesitate at going to KW simply as I know nothing about them or what you would still like say 10 years from now (like I like my Bilsteins!). I'd guess your driving (by your car's appearance) to be more touring orientated and what if your longer-term perception of the likely changed ride, was not to your preference? Do KWs fit into OEM top-mounts, I've no idea. Do you have some (some might say adolescent) need to lower your car (it looks perfect BTW!) more than what can be achieved with OEM strut compatible springs? Are you happy enough with the current springs? What's on the back end?

Are these particular folks a known quantity to anyone here (or if not, whom?):

http://www.koni-shock-absorbers.co.uk/contact.php

I suppose I'd say in order:
                        1st) Sure, if you where happy once with the Koni's, look at the refurb cost;
                        2nd) New yellow Bilsteins are likely more than a) in the UK, but used might not be or maybe shop in Germany or the US perhaps?. I suspect they are popular because they hit the mark for many folks; &
                        3rd) These days, perhaps it comes down to what springs are you going to be "comfortable" with; & that are at hand or available, then perhaps that narrows down your choices?

I think either of the first two choices would leave more money for tires.

Comment

• I had mine lowered with H&R springs some years back but it was too hard on british roads and I ended up snapping springs. I have Koni's all round.

I need to track down the part number for the strut caps to retain the shocks as these will want replacing too. At least it shouldn't take me long to remove the shock again on the drivers side as it only went back on yesterday.

I have got in touch with koniuk to see if they can be refurbished and i'll go from there
                          Greg

Comment

• Great to see the old girl getting some love.

No S2 coupe rides well, so just go mad like me and make it really bad smooths out at speed or on smooth roads.

Need to get my shock legs powder coated really, maybe the whole undercarriage... again
                            Cheers'en, AndyC
                            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Yeah ive been quite impressed how my last treatment has lasted on the struts. About 13 years ago I fitted the Koni's and cleaned them up and coated with POR15. This time I have degreased, wire brushed and abrasive disc. A coat of FLAG rust converter followed by a couple of coats of POR15 chassis black paint.

Ive ordered myself a new pair of Koni inserts from Lark Speed today so I should be able to put it all back together again later this week and take the drivers side off again to change the shock for a new one, I didnt think it made sense to do just one shock.

Then I want to get some use out of the old girl as the tie rod adjusters took longer to get made than I anticipated and I couldn't use during that time as I only had 1 steering arm.
                              Greg

Comment

• I also forgot to mention. Can the strut insert nuts be purchased from the dealer or are they tradition only now?
                                Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X