No announcement yet.

Greg_S S2 Coupe 20+ years going strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well after alot of back and forth with them and initiating a charge back via my credit card I agreed to a refund for the alignment but paid them the time taken on freeing up the rear suspension as I didnt have time to do that before it went in. Its been SORN now as im manic with a new job so have had no time for driving recently, but will be getting alignment done in the new year elsewhere.

What annoyed me more than anything was trying to say there wheel alignment equipment was faulty to fob me off. My dad knows the distributor for pro align kit so let them know what was being claimed too.
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• I managed to get a few mins to do some work on the car today to change a nut on the lower ball joint as it wasn't the correct one. Thats where the fun started as it has been replaced with a bolt at some point but the threads are messed up so I'll need to put a new one in. What tensile spec bolt would I need? Its M10 x 1.5, I'll need to check the length I need. Its the part above no.3 in the pic. https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+co...407-407010/#7A I also picked up a new daily driver this week too.

Attached Files
      Last edited by Greg_S; 1 January 2019, 22:06.
      Greg

Comment

• Hi Greg. If it's the one I'm thinking of, its a plate with the bolts riveted on. If you order a new bush, the plate comes with it. If you want something for a quick fix, I think I have one of my old ones knocking about which you can have. Just PM your address and I will drop it in the post for you.
        Last edited by Tractor Dave; 1 January 2019, 23:07.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• On the cast/forged arm they're pressed in, no? Still I bought some of the plates on eBay and pressed out all my old ones and pressed in the new ones out of the plates when I refurbed mine. Terrifying lack of thread on the old ones!

Comment

• yes, they press out - you just need to make sure you line up the serrations when you put in the replacements...
            Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
            S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
            '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

• Hi Greg,

Re: Ball-joint to A-arm fasteners, these are the latest factory items to use with the forged arms.

a) Stud:

You're question is apt as this is a proper rated stud (it is listed in your link also); and as discussed above, splined and pressed in. To expand that just a bit, you can press them out of or into place in situ (with a nut installed, an old socket and a C-clamp) if the arm-holes are clean, anti-seized and the splines lined up:

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 21.01.06.png

This (ECS Tuning) photo shows the original ( P/N: 893 407 745 A ) with the VAG galv. coating. But functionally they are not strictly an Audi item and you will find non VAG non-galv equivalents such as:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...78#post1273478

You may want to coat them with tar after the install to protect them.

b) Nut:

These exact original flanged and radial-ribbed on the flange face (also ECS photo) nuts ( P/N: N 902 856 02 ) are harder to find as they are perhaps Audi 80/90/etc. specific, and usually NLA at the dealer:

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 21.02.10.png

These nuts where the subject of a TSB (IIRC?) that also eliminated the washer used under the previous nut.

K Simmonds has mentioned this before but I can't find it just now, make sure the nuts are torqued (65Nm?) and going to seat onto clean bare or only lightly painted metal such that the nut's ribs can bite against the arm's surface. Note your alignment guy may have to move the joint.

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...74#post2039074

Although NLA if you are determined, perhaps you may find some using the P/N.

I did see someone say these should only be done up with the weight on the wheels but I don't agree that it would be correct to wait till then. I do them up before that.

The substitutes I've seen don't have the ribs on the flange.

Hth.
              Last edited by Lago Blue; 2 January 2019, 14:43.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave
                Hi Greg. If it's the one I'm thinking of, its a plate with the bolts riveted on. If you order a new bush, the plate comes with it. If you want something for a quick fix, I think I have one of my old ones knocking about which you can have. Just PM your address and I will drop it in the post for you.
                My mistake. Thought we were talking pressed steel (like mine).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Dave, they may be just fine if they are same type and sufficiently long. See how thin the forging is at the end; and they only have to go through less items without the plates and washers. You could measure the length and know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                    Hi Greg. If it's the one I'm thinking of, its a plate with the bolts riveted on. If you order a new bush, the plate comes with it. If you want something for a quick fix, I think I have one of my old ones knocking about which you can have. Just PM your address and I will drop it in the post for you.

That’s the one, I’ve dropped you a pm too. Thanks in advance
                    Greg

Comment

• Perfect Lago Blue I got hold of some of the nuts from the s3 as @ksimmonds suggested and tightened to 65nm, however this one I hadn’t found the right on for the studs. I’ll try to get hold of some studs from the states if I can’t get them from TPS.

Originally posted by Lago Blue View Post
                      Hi Greg,

Re: Ball-joint to A-arm fasteners, these are the latest factory items to use with the forged arms.

a) Stud:

You're question is apt as this is a proper rated stud (it is listed in your link also); and as discussed above, splined and pressed in. To expand that just a bit, you can press them out of or into place in situ (with a nut installed, an old socket and a C-clamp) if the arm-holes are clean, anti-seized and the splines lined up:

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 21.01.06.png

This (ECS Tuning) photo shows the original ( P/N: 893 407 745 A ) with the VAG galv. coating. But functionally they are not strictly an Audi item and you will find non VAG non-galv equivalents such as:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...78#post1273478

You may want to coat them with tar after the install to protect them.

b) Nut:

These exact original flanged and radial-ribbed on the flange face (also ECS photo) nuts ( P/N: N 902 856 02 ) are harder to find as they are perhaps Audi 80/90/etc. specific, and usually NLA at the dealer:

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 21.02.10.png

These nuts where the subject of a TSB (IIRC?) that also eliminated the washer used under the previous nut.

K Simmonds has mentioned this before but I can't find it just now, make sure the nuts are torqued (65Nm?) and going to seat onto clean bare or only lightly painted metal such that the nut's ribs can bite against the arm's surface. Note your alignment guy may have to move the joint.

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...74#post2039074

Although NLA if you are determined, perhaps you may find some using the P/N.

I did see someone say these should only be done up with the weight on the wheels but I don't agree that it would be correct to wait till then. I do them up before that.

The substitutes I've seen don't have the ribs on the flange.

Hth.
                      Greg

Comment

• Found these in my spares box and are en route to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks to Tractor Dave I have been able to get the wishbone sorted out now. The part you sent worked a treat. goto get booked in for alignment again now.
                          The old balljoint rubber got damaged in the process of removing it but it was due a change.
                          Attached Files
                          Greg

Comment

• You are welcome
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Flippin eck Greg is that carpet I see in your Garage. You must be getting old . Takes pampering the S2 to another level I must say

Comment

• Originally posted by LSG View Post
                                Flippin eck Greg is that carpet I see in your Garage. You must be getting old . Takes pampering the S2 to another level I must say
                                Yeah we had some offcuts and when I took the carpet up from one of the bedrooms I thought I’d put it to use in the garage for now. I need to put some rubber flooring or something down really
                                Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X