Greg_S S2 Coupe 20+ years going strong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by M2ki View Post
    Is it the pictures or are you using a wrong ball joint for the cast wishbones?
    For pressed steel vs. cast wishbones.

I’ll have to double check. The ones I refitted were the same dimensions as those that came off. Which one is for the cast wishbones?
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Originally posted by LHD_Kid View Post

Greg, how would the Silverstone Classic work? I know its Friday to Sunday, but in reality, it would be unlikely I could do the full weekend - more likely one full day....
      You can come for one or more days. Up to people if they want to camp etc too, sat night there are live bands etc on aswell.
      Greg

Comment

• Top one is for a regular pressed steel arm - I don't recognise the bottom one at all, but then I've never had an S2.

Comment

• Cast arms were also on 7A 90 and early 2.8 80 and Coupes
          1989 Audi 80 Quattro
          1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

• Oh I didn't know that, weird how the CQ20V missed out, maybe it was a B4 thing.

Comment

• The cast ball joints have the extra ridges while the standard pressed versions are flat. The slots are longer on the cast for adjustment
              Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikes2 View Post
                The cast ball joints have the extra ridges while the standard pressed versions are flat. The slots are longer on the cast for adjustment
                Mike, I’ll check out when I order replacements again. Something I wasn’t aware of at all. Must have had the other type on there a long time. What is the correct part number for the cast ones? It’s setup with those fitted now so loathed to change them again at the min.
                Greg

Comment

• 895407366A and 895407365A
                  Getting harder to find, most manufacturers have dropped it. Some ruville, trw and delphi stock seems to be available.
                  1989 Audi 80 Quattro
                  1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

• I had a trip out to Petrol headonism breakfast meet and run to sywell airfield today which was good fun. A few shots from today, the rest are still on my camera. https://flickr.com/photos/38796648@N...57708038046254

tyres swapped front to rear and car is driving really well.

Attached Files
                    Greg

Comment

• New boots ordered today, gone for some Goodyear asymmetric 3’s and will get those fitted before the mot next month.
                      Greg

Comment

• Greg,

Perhaps you've had the alignment done and I hope the car is driving well. What I"m wondering sir, is if any resulting alignment print-out indicated what I think may be the current slightly "larger" than stock caster measurement, perhaps achieved inadvertently, and perhaps due to the current possibly flat-style ball-joints, but indeed if noticeably different, done with OEM parts? Was it still within the expected stock range? Did the technician notice or perhaps try to minimize it (i.e.: dial it back even though not much if any adjustment may be possible)?

As increasing this characteristic has been oft sought and discussed here, I'd be interested to hear yours and anyone's thoughts of possible pros and cons of this, your interesting mod.

For folks less familiar with the subject, the OEM parts in photo below show the stock arrangement:

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 12.22.53.png
                        Last edited by Lago Blue; 23 May 2019, 18:13. Reason: for clarity

Comment

• I’ll see if I can dig out the final settings. It was set for stock ABY with a bit of extra neg camber.
                          Greg

Comment

• Its been a while since i've posted an update. I got the AP discs swapped over this weekend as the current discs were at their wear limit, I have swapped back to the stock 28mm width discs. There was a few requests on what the discs and calipers weigh compared to the standard items so while they were off I weighed them.

So weight is:

Disc and Bell (330x28 disc) 6.9Kg
                            Carrier 0.795 Kg
                            Calipers (no pads) 2.4kg

so all in 10.095kg

I didnt replace the pads as they had alot left on them, but given the wear on the old discs im wondering if I should? Any recommendation on replacement pads?

I have seen some mention of CL pads https://www.clbraking.co.uk/ but don't know much about them. I have used Ferrodo DS2500's before.

Im after something I can use mainly for road that doesn't create tons of dust but will also be suitable for a trackday too.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 5 photos.
                            Greg

Comment

• I really like the Red Stuff pads in mine, good stopping, no fade, and no dust(!)

Comment

• I have Hawk HPS5's on my motor. Good for track and fine on the road.
                                91 Modded 3B
                                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• Greg_S
                                  Greg_S commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  What are they like for dust too?
                              Working...
                              X