80q => RS2 Saloon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80q => RS2 Saloon

I have been planning this project for some time and I have finally got to a point where I have enough parts to actually think it might happen. I'm under no illusion that this is going to be a very long term project, finding the parts is actually harder than affording them! I really don't want to break an RS2 to achieve this, it would be an easier and cheaper option but they are a rare car and I wouldn't feel right doing it.

I have decided to split the project into 4 main parts so that I can do the work a bit at a time. The following is the order I hope to achieve them in.
    1. Running gear
    2. Body
    3. Engine
    4. Interior

My plans for each are as follows;
    Running gear - I currently have the gearbox, diff, prop, driveshafts and all the linkages and mountings. I also have a full set of RS2 hubs and should have the rear carriers soon. I have RS2 rear calipers but I don't have any of the handbrake mechanism yet. I have Porsche 996 Turbo front calipers so I will need to get the correct brackets for those. I still need discs and, of course, wheels, I'm yet to decide on those. There are numerous small bits I need to make it all fit together, I expect I will buy those new. I think I will lower it a bit, but I am concerned that the ground clearance is already poor with the factory sports suspension.

Body - I currently only have the side skirts but hopefully a rear bumper soon. I expect I will buy a Reiger front bumper as I haven't even seen a front bumper for sale recently and the last one I saw was advertised for twice as much as I paid for my car! Unfortunately my car is a MY92 which means It doesn't have the lower door trims, the significance of this is that I will have to change all 4 doors. I'm currently trying to find some in the correct colour so I don't have to spray them. I'm hopeful on the group buy for the lower door trims. I don't know if a lifetime is long enough to find a complete front grille with clips, perhaps someone will remaunfacture the bits that are now NLA, that would be nice. I know the mirrors are available new so that is probably my best option as RHD ones are so rare and I do want to be able to see what's behind me.

Engine - I'm concerned this will disappoint a lot of people but I don't plan to use an ADU engine, or even a 5 pot for that matter. There are a few reasons behind this, the engine mounts on my car are in the wrong place, the cost of getting everything required would be ridiculous and my car will never be an RS2 so why bother pretending, I'm just going to do what I want. That said, I want the performance to match the looks so at present the plan is to use a B5 RS4 engine, it's a very similar block to my current 2.8 which will help, I am aware that fitting the manifolds and turbos in is very difficult so I don't expect it to be easy. The other option is the 4.2 V8, I will have to do some more research but I'd rather have something with a turbo.

Update 12/2016, this will be built with a 20VT based on an ABY block, the build will be fully detailed in this thread. I've left the original text as it's now integral to this tread, but to avoid any further disappointment to anyone reading this now, I thought I'd add an update

Interior - By far the least of my priorities at the moment, the thing I want the most is a rear leather seat to match the rest of my interior, the gauges and Recaros can wait. The main change will be a climate control retrofit, I don't currently have aircon which is going to make that quite involved.

This is the car as it stands, nothing at all RS2 about it yet but it is not worth starting until I can do it properly. It is probably fair to say it is an abandoned attempt to build an S2 saloon. I can't wait to get rid of those wheels.

DSC_0455 by Matt4475, on Flickr

IMG_0547 by Matt4475, on Flickr

Any comments or advice welcome, I hope to be able to update this with some real progress before too long.
    Last edited by 80Quattro; 12 July 2017, 10:39.
    92 Audi 80 Quattro => RS2 Saloon!
    98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
    63 Austin Mini Super Deluxe (turbocharged)
    69 Austin Mini Cooper
    71 MGB GT
    75 Daimler Vanden Plas 4.2L
    04 Kawasaki GPX250
    96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Brave choice in engine it has been done before though a few on here and couple on german sites. Not against it in the slightest just think there is a huge knock on effect in terms of wiring, clocks and finding that knowledge of how the manifolds and everything fits but this is why it's a project! be boring if all cars were the same
    Subscribed hope there will be quite a few updates

Comment

Sounds like a great project. Don't discount the 5 pot swap, there are a few who have done it and a few companies who can swap the engine mounts over at what I'm sure is a reasonable cost compared to that of fitting a Biturbo engine! Plus, 5 pots rule
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I will keep an open mind about the engine, realistically I will have quite some time to decide as to get the first 2 stages done is going to take at least a year as I have to wait for a lot of the parts to come up for sale. Moving the engine mounts would not be too difficult, I know. My issue is I am aware of the prices people are paying for RS2 manifolds, turbos, injectors etc, how much is a complete engine with loom and ecu going to cost and who is going to sell it to me? I know the 5 pot has a charm but a 2.7 BiTurbo is going to be easier and cheaper to source, just as powerful and probably not a significant amount more work as everything in my engine bay is set out for a V6, replacing it with another one has got to have it's advantages.
        98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
        69 Austin Mini Cooper
        71 MGB GT
        04 Kawasaki GPX250
        96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

V6 is twice as expensive though, twice the heads, twice the turbo's . I do feel IMO your flawed in thinking on the I5 install will be harder than the bi-turbo, this thread is a great reference http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41272

why does it have to be an RS2 engine? buy an S2 engine, buy wagner rs2 evo manifolds. Stick a K26/K27 hybrid on it. Yes it will be an rs2 replica but it doesn't mean it should be RS2 everything. I feel this a trap, I told a member yesterday to uprate his rear brakes to prosche monoblocks that don't corrode. his response I don't want too as I want to keep the rs2 oem. In that case live with the oem problems.

If I you install and eliminate issues with newer technology within the original style of the car then do so.

But it's your project, you pay the bills, you make the decisions and ultimately you build the car to your vision

Comment

EDIT: Beaten to it by the Jaminator

Buy an ABY and get it running right with just a chip, exhaust and RS2 IC. You can then upgrade to RS2 spec or more if you decide that you need it 280-290bhp with fast spool is just fine.

RS2 stuff is bolt on and there are minimal differences ABY to ADU. You can fit the RS2 water pump when the engine is out of the car and fit a clutch that's capable of taking the power than you desire. There are many RS2'd ABYs out there (mine included) and it's a simple route to take. You could even go for a small hybrid and either an RS2 replica em or STR EM and aim for 330-340bhp and spool that is faster than stock.

In terms of EMs, Wagner is the way to go. Leave the injector choice up to the mapper. The ABY ECU can be modified to run RS2 spec... easy peasy ... sort of

The KKK K26/27 hybrids are where the power is at on a stock ish engine.
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

The maintenance of the engine is a much lesser concern than getting it to fit in the first place. I'm still going to plan on using an RS4 engine for the moment as I like the idea of doing something different and it would cost a lot more money to make an ABY engine make the same power. I have quite a while to change my mind though and I will take what you have said into consideration.

Is there a monoblock caliper that is a straight swap on the back or is there more work involved? I had thought there wasn't which is why I have bought monoblocks for the front but RS2 calipers for the back.
              98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
              69 Austin Mini Cooper
              71 MGB GT
              04 Kawasaki GPX250
              96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

i'm doing one of these at the moment with a 5 cylinder engine .

Comment

Search for the 300mm rear brake conversion done by s2avant. The monoblocks run into issues with the handbrake, as the RS2 uses a drum style handbrake inside the disc, which is not catered for on a B4 S2 rear hub. You can get separate handbrake calipers or fit a complete RS2 rear hub but both require extra work for gains which aren't really necessary. I track my car with 314mm fronts and standard solid rears and the brakes are fine with minimal fade on even the harshest of tracks.

To name a few - will20v, tonks4x4 or hoffer76 can all convert your V6 to I5, so they might be worth speaking to about the V6 or V8 too. I seem to remember that the front chassis legs are the issue with the V6 biturbo and V8, so you might want to look into what's required (I seem to remember seeing the chassis legs notched to take the wider engine).
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I think I would be confident in doing my own engine conversion, I am not adverse to welding my own engine mounts in if I decide to. The issue with the 2.7tt is how much the chassis rails cut in, it makes it very difficult to route the manifolds and find a place for the turbos.

I am aware of that brake conversion, but I'm using RS2 hubs, carriers and handbrake so it is not what I want to do, I was wondering if there was a Porsche monoblock that would replace the RS2 rear calipers with no other work involved.
                    98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                    69 Austin Mini Cooper
                    71 MGB GT
                    04 Kawasaki GPX250
                    96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

Love the saloon in rs2 spec. Best of luck with the build, look forward to seeing the end results in time

Comment

Yes if you are using RS2 hubs then VRS / Bambridge sell straight bolt on caliper mounts that allow you to use 996 monoblock calipers no other mods required ( maybe a bit of filling for clearance around the mounts )

Comment

My bad, missed that bit
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Here are the calipers, RS2 rears and 996 Turbo fronts. All in need of a referb so that will be the next step.

IMG_0573 by Matt4475, on Flickr
                            Last edited by 80Quattro; 12 July 2017, 10:40.
                            98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
                            69 Austin Mini Cooper
                            71 MGB GT
                            04 Kawasaki GPX250
                            96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31920

If your doing it ditch the old style rears, long term it makes sense

Comment

Working...
                              X