• Show
Clear All

• Castle Combe assorted vids

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ0-zkEyHIE

One guy is lucky he did not get hit by bmw
    93 S2 Avant Parting
    91 URQ RR
    02 A4 tdi Avant

Why so many come offs on that particular track day and that corner? was there oil on the track, or were they just lunatics??

i think thats the first right hander corner just after the kink in the straight, cant remember it being that dangerous.

having second thoughts about october Audi track day now

Brian

P.S. be a good video to play at the safety talk before we head onto the track to calm every one down

Comment

Looks like a compilation to me, not all on the same day? If it was, there pretty good and quick at repairing the tyre walls after some of those impacts!
      Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

Originally posted by BrianSmith_S2 View Post
        Why so many come offs on that particular track day and that corner? was there oil on the track, or were they just lunatics??
        i think thats the first right hander corner just after the kink in the straight, cant remember it being that dangerous.

having second thoughts about october Audi track day now
        That is one Quarry corner and one of the most technical corners on any UK circuit apparently, the crest on the way in catches people out big time.
        Some people brake over the crest causing their back brakes to lock up or get well out of shape, the white Rover 25 was a classic example.
        You should brake before the crest, back off the brakes over the crest then brake again once past it.
        Then Quarry corner is off camber 3/4's of the way round so if you have understeer the track will force you outwards towards/in the tyre wall.

I have driven Castle Combe many times on various trackdays and action days, what your seeing in that vid is the w8nkers you get on action days.
        Castle Combe allow anyone for £25 to have a 15min session around the track, you get alsorts of people showing up.
        The cars are supposed to have a current MOT, this is never checked thats why you get some people buy £300 shitters out of the local paper and go all out trying to impress their mates, hence the crashes.

On the vid their are some genuine cars from sprints being held there (blue porsche 911, white impreza) but most are action day heros.

Brian don't be put off by this as i'm pretty sure most Audi drivers will be enthusiats and will look after their babys.
        Just start off slow but not too slow and let you tyres and brakes warm up over the first lap or two.

I've booked to sessions for the Eurofest coming up in september so would be nice to see how my barge handles

Matt

p.s sorry for the essay
        '95 ABY Avant - Sold
        '98 B5 S4 -MRC400+ = 464ps 741nm

Comment

Yep, quite correct. I have had lesson there. The kink in the straight is called "Avon Rise". When you hit it, your suspension compresses then goes light, as it goes light everyone brakes and gets out of shape. You are explicitly told to brake BEFORE or AFTER Avon Rise NOT on it!

Unless you are an expert you are supposed to brake before, ride it out and then turn in. If you are really good you can go over it quick and brake late.

I witness a guy write off an XKR there a few years ago....

The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Yar meant to be on the grey bit?

Over the rise, head for the 'lights' braking hard, ease off and turn in right to the apex. Been off in the wet and dry at this corner and now i know why.

Still muchoo fun.
            Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

i enjoyed that and well its a good job i never saw this before my two goes around there as well i might have not have ever bothered.. what made me laugh apart from the lucky bloke nearly hit with the bmw pointed out in top post . The chavalers just understeering straight into the tyre wall

Comment

Caterham Superlight championship 2000, I got pushed on the grass just before Avon rise,to the right. then became Caterham tobaggan on wet grass.
                The stack data said i hit the barrier at 128mph! 28G!!!
                I got an inch taller that day! the tosser that hit me won the race! just to piss me off further!

great track, should be there on the15th september...
                Rob..
                94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
                87 UR 20v ABY
                97 S6 Avant
                96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
                1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Yeah certainly a compilation,at around 2 minutes you can see the ex audi driver V8 that they rebuilt and then gave away as a prize.The winner wrote it off,think it was 2003 the same event when i melted my engine .

Comment

Just feel so sad for that little Lotus 11 that got totalled by some ******** in his BMW Coupe - the Lotus driver may have been lucky not to have been a dead sandwich filling, but he probably built that car with his own blood and sweat.

As everyone's said - a tricky corner. Only time I've been there an e30 m3 wrote itself off, and then I stupidly/generously (delete as you like) threw the keys of my m2 at my mate. He went straight off at Quarry first time round, but luckily didn't hit anything. Which is more than can be said for me when he got back!

Enjoy the circuit, it's great fun - just treat it with respect and look out for the fools.

Comment

Ah... Quarry, yes I remember it well, and yes I came off there too, didn't hit anything though

Comment

Thread resurrection

Comment

Problem with Quarry is that people overcomplicate it. Some free tuition with one of the race school instructors is all that's needed...
                          Cheers'en, AndyC
                          1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                            Thread resurrection
                            Yeah but still good content

Quarry gets you because you can;t brake hard enough coming over the crest, or that's what it feels like to me.

It is a nasty but nice corner

Oh, and in 2000, I saw a brand new purple RS4 Avant slide off in the wet straight into the tyre wall, in exactly that spot... he wasn't very happy.... one mullered wheel and no bumper/wing left. It was a week old!

Comment

Its s combination of the left and then right corners. People unsettle the car trying to get far left when the best line is to let the car run towards the traffic lights in the middle of the track.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                              X