• Tractor Dave
    replied
    And mine was 11mm

Leave a comment:

• larsaskogstad
    replied
    Haha u guys are so cute ​​​​​​

Okay ill bleed it no worries.

So next is changing waterpump and fix passenger door lock whick will not open from inside

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    7mm? Mine have always been 10mm..... I tend to use a ratchet + deep 10mm socket, so it doesnt fall on the ground quite so easily.
    Last edited by Bowie69; 21 July 2021, 08:21.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Well said! Every S2 owner should be prepared to get stuck in. It's half the joy of ownership.

Leave a comment:

• macspring
    replied
    Dave is right, the clutch slave cylinder line is often forgotten about in terms of bleeding / refreshing the hydraulic fluid in this line. Lack of servicing' will show up most on a really hot day in heavy traffic when the old fluid - now with a percentage of water absorbed into it over time will not 'work' the slave cylinder as fully as it should. Anyways best practice is to flush it and effectively renew the fluid in that hydraulic line from the brake / clutch fluid reservoir down to the clutch slave cylinder on the top of the gearbox.

As Dave has mentioned, a 7mm ring spanner can be fiddly but works well enough to open and close the bleed nipple on the clutch slave cylinder. Just pressurise the reservoir and open the bleed nipple with the 7mm ring spanner and let the old fluid weep / flow out until you see the new fresh light coloured fluid coming through. Obviously it is best to have a transparent pipe on the end of the bleed nipple to see / collect the fluid in a transparent jar - initially the old dark fluid and subsequently then the new clear fluid being pushed out under pressure.

TBH, you need to get yourself up to ( and ideally beyond ) this level of mechanical competency to be able to own these S cars ( for your own peace of mind ), this is assuming that you're not lucky enough to be able to afford to pay others ( who are decent, and also appreciate and understand these cars ) to fix these cars on your behalf.

Hope that helps a bit.

Best wishes.

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Down there. You can see me bleeding it in this pic. I have made a special tool which allows the bleed pipe to run inside the socket. Ring spanner works but is more fiddly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• larsaskogstad
    replied
    Hmmm have a pic where its located?

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by larsaskogstad View Post
    Okay, this sounds too complicated
    No, it's very easy. Connect pipe onto slave bleed nipple and run down under car into a container. Using ring spanner, open nipple (when bleed kit is connected and pressurised), wait until liquid flows nice and clean and bubble free, close nipple. Simples

Leave a comment:

• larsaskogstad
    replied
    Okay, this sounds too complicated

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by larsaskogstad View Post
    Yup might have been too fast last time.
    Slave, clutch what? How?
    The clutch is fed from the brake fluid container. There is a bleed nipple on the slave. This fluid often gets neglected and goes very stale. Do this last when any bubbles have had time to clear in the container. The clutch can be a sod to bleed if any air gets in there.

Leave a comment:

• larsaskogstad
    replied
    Yup might have been too fast last time.
    Slave, clutch what? How?

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    If you fill to capacity, there is enough to flush the whole system. Think I had about 1ltr left as well. Sometimes the bubbles take a while to turn up so keep going for a while after it flows clear.
    And do the slave for the clutch while you have it fitted.

Leave a comment:

• larsaskogstad
    replied
    Yeah used a compressor last time
    But this looks good.
    How many ml pr caliper?

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Tractor Dave
    replied
    There is a very different feel between modern brakes and standard S2. My wife has a 2010 Passat. Touch the brake pedal and feels like you slammed the brakes on. I also have Porsche front brakes and B6 S4 rear brakes. I find you have to press the brake much harder to get a strong response, but boy, it works well. Once you get used to this there is no problem. Jump back in the Passat and you nearly hit the windscreen again.
    I bought the Sealey pressure bleed tool. Takes all the hassle out of bleeding the brakes, properly and easily every time. It copies the official VAG bleed method.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X