• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrantGam
    replied
    Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
    Love this Forum, glad it's all sorted
    Yeah it's an ace resource. Touch wood I've had very few and very minor issues with my car; all of which got answered on here

Leave a comment:

• GrantGam
    replied
    Originally posted by newsh View Post

Brilliant result mate, well done!
    Cheers man! It's just a shame I'm getting these small niggles sorted out for selling. At least someone will get a nice working motor when she's all ready.

Leave a comment:

• Rikki Kitto
    replied
    Love this Forum, glad it's all sorted

Leave a comment:

• newsh
    replied
    Originally posted by GrantGam
    An update guys, trip computer and speedo are now operational again 180uF capacitor change did the trick. Chuffed!

Not so chuffed at being able to see my MPG again though, forgot how gutsy the old girl is!
    Brilliant result mate, well done!

Leave a comment:

• grim
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GrantGam
    replied
    An update guys, trip computer and speedo are now operational again 180uF capacitor change did the trick. Chuffed!

Not so chuffed at being able to see my MPG again though, forgot how gutsy the old girl is!

Leave a comment:

• GrantGam
    replied
    Cheers.

The other capacitor measured in around 56uF which I'm happy enough with because my multimeter leads are on the way out.

Will be chuffed if the speedo comes back to life for a £2 capacitor

Leave a comment:

• newsh
    replied
    That cap is correct, it’s an electrolytic so needs to go in the right way round, the neg side looks like it’s marked on the original.

Leave a comment:

• GrantGam
    replied
    After getting a lend of a friend's cluster, I found that everything worked as normal - so the signal from the diff was sound and the fault lay somewhere in my cluster.

I have (I think) traced the fault to one of the capacitors on the speedometer circuit board. It is labled as:

Philips 036 KO B8
    180u
    K
    10V

Could someone kindly advise as to where I can find the same; or applicable; capacitor to replace this one?

I've provisionally purchased this one:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/PANASONIC-E...QAAOxy8HlSa77m

And for anyone looking for a guide to disassemble the instrument cluster for whatever reason (including getting in amongst the speedo), it can be found here. Probably worth a sticky if it isn't already:

http://www.odometergears.com/documen...eplacement.pdf

Cheers
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by GrantGam; 10 June 2018, 02:25.

Leave a comment:

• GrantGam
    replied
    Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
    The trip computer comes off the pcb as a separate cluster so maybe those connectors need looking at and there is a sensor for the mpg which feeds the trip computer I think, maybe this is at fault, do all the other trip computer functions work OK
    I don't get instantaneous or average MPG. I get the 2 hour "take a break" indication and I also get mileage until tank empty display. The time clock sometimes resets too, so I think all internal connectors could do with a little clean and firm push home.
    ​​​​​​
    Thanks for the linked thread, I'll take a look now.

Leave a comment:

• Rikki Kitto
    replied
    https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...-trip-computer
    Check this thread out might help

Leave a comment:

• Rikki Kitto
    replied
    The trip computer comes off the pcb as a separate cluster so maybe those connectors need looking at and there is a sensor for the mpg which feeds the trip computer I think, maybe this is at fault, do all the other trip computer functions work OK

Leave a comment:

• GrantGam
    replied
    I had the dash cluster out, but never opened it up. I did blast the connectors with contact cleaner and made sure they were all firmly home.

Are there more connectors inside the dash cluster? Any guides out there for disassembly?

Leave a comment:

• Rikki Kitto
    replied
    Mine used to do this on and off, after I had the clocks out once or twice it started working as normal again so assumed it must of been a bad connection on one of the block connectors, suppose just check all connectors are good give them a clean with Kontact cleaner and fingers crossed, hate trying to fettle electrical faults they can be a mare to trace. Do all the other readings work OK

Leave a comment:

• Mikes2
    replied
    I had similar issues on mine and replaced the main board to fix it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X