No announcement yet.

Elecric windows stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lou, You are welcome to borrow my relay to see if thats the problem - as im just down the road.

Comment

Hi - this kinda thing has happened to me too... Intermittent loss of window action !!! Both windows just refusing to do anything..sometimes they stay stuck open for ages, sometimes they won't open. Drivers side is ALWAYS slow going up anyway (was same on my previous 16v coupe)

I've put silicon on the runners, and grease in the workings etc, but I'm pretty sure it's an electrical contact problem, as it seems to work for a while then stop for a while.

Thanks for the tip ref the relay - I'll have mine out later and give it a tap.. let you know how that goes

P
      SOLD !

Comment

This is a known fault, if tapping the relay doesnt work, take the plastic cover off and have a look at the solder joints and touch up the bad ones. I had this on my 2.0, and the relay seemed fine but was still doing it, if i tapped the relay with it plugged it started working again so another possible is the contacts on the block where it plugs in opening up. never bothered checking on mine though as i then sold the car.

HTH
        Audi A4 1.8Tq

VW Passat 1.8T RIP

Comment

All working again,fitted another relay from my son broken 20v same number 285
          Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Coolio

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 220bhp View Post
              All working again,fitted another relay from my son broken 20v same number 285
              Thanks for all the help.
              Glad you sorted!
              I knew it was that little lazy/naughty (forum does'nt accept b****r..... very clever!)
              relay

Stefano
              http://www.audisportclub.com/

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/vbgoogl...227295&zoom=16

Comment

Ok...

I did this last night and it seems to have cured the prob (tho' being an intermittemtn fault, who knows when it could come back)

Taking a careful look at the contacts on the relay, they were a little dirty, so have cleaned them off in the hope this helps.

Step by step guide :

1- some relays are under the bonnet, drivers side, nearest windscreen under a plastic cover with the fuses.
                2- BUT the window relay is inside the car under the steering wheel, hidden behind the little shelf by your knees
                3- UNSCREW the four self tapping screws which hold the shelf in place. They have a hex head, not slot-screw head, so best use a small socket.
                4 PULL the shelf unit clear
                5- get on knees and look under steeing wheel to the right
                6- Look for relay numbered 363, it's twice the size of all the others. Note which way round it fits in.
                7- REMOVE the relay and tap it on the ground. Then clean the contacts
                8- Put it back and test winows. Re-fit the shelf.

taaa daaaa
                SOLD !

Comment

Just to add to that its a pita 8mm socket that is normally required (always the one missing when this job is needed)

Comment

My windows did not close on my rs2 during the MOT today..Typical. Followed these steps described here and it came back to life..... Thx a lot 13 years after......

Comment

No problem bud.

Comment

does this do both windows? As my drivers side doesn't work , but passenger side does although is slow
                        cheers
                        ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                        THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

The relay controls all the Windows and the sunroof. Easy to take apart and check solder isn't cracked.
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                          X