This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to - service & repair stalk switches

Following on from a recent query about suitable grease I decided to document this job for anyone who's never done it. I had an issue with my wiper stalk where it wouldn't work on intermittent setting, so wanted to give the contacts a clean and regrease the switch. Worth doing even if your switches are working ok, as the grease in them is no doubt old and crusty and will cause a fault sooner or later.

Start by removing the upper steering cowl (2 phillips screws accessed from underneath)
    To remove the lower part you need to loosen the collar which grip the steering column. Again access from underneath at a 45 degree angle. It will either be a large phillips head screw or an hex head screw
    Once that's done, remove the steering wheel (24mm socket required)
    Pull the electrical connectors off the back of the stalks and remove the lower cowl complete with stalk switches.

looking at the back of the cowl, undo the 4 screws to release the stalks from the cowl and separate them from each other.

once you've separated them you should have something like this

Grab the one you need to repair - I ended up doing both of mine while i had them off the car. These pics are the wiper & hazard stalk from my coupe:

Remove the 4 screws holding the steel backplate on. These will either be phillips or a small Torx. Carefully remove the backplate (there are springs inside which may spring loose!) Here is a pic of the hazard stalk housing with the backplate removed and everything in place for reference:

Carefully dismantle this section, by holding the white spring loaded arm while you pull the stalk off. Be careful, as there is a spring loaded copper plate in the end of the stalk arm which will want to spring out. Once the stalk is out the way remove the white arm and spring (careful you don't loose it!). Finally pull out the copper contact plate from the bottom of the housing and you should have a collection of parts that looks like this

Put all of these bits safely to one side. The hazard switch housing forms the "lid" of the wiper stalk housing. The two halves slide apart to get to the wiper switches. Once you have the housing apart you are greeted by another spring loaded white arm. Pull this up vertically to remove it and the stalk just pulls out.

You can see in the above pic how tarnished and dirty the contacts are, and also the grubby crusty old grease. If you have had big problems with your stalk you might find that the contacts are burnt and the plastic around them is melted. If this is the case, you will need to find another housing. The good news is the trip computer and cruise control stalks fit into the bog standard housings, and there are millions of them about as spares. mine were looking in good condition so I just cleaned them up.

I used lighter fluid on rags and cotton buds to degrease the housing and contacts, then used Autosol on a cotton bud to polish up the contacts and remove the tarnishing. I found one of the spring loaded contacts on the wiper arm was worn down and a bit tired so I found another good one from an old burnt out stalk I had lying about and swapped them over - good as new. Once you've cleaned up the housing and polished up the contacts, give it all a final clean with lighter fluid.

Now its time to get liberal with electric contact grease. I got some in an aerosol from ebay. Make sure the contact are really well greased up.
    Then reassemble the wiper section: Put the wiper arm in first, then the spring loaded arm. It can be a bit fiddly to get it all back together until you have the knack. Have another good squirt of grease once its back together.

Slide the hazard stalk housing on and grab all the nice clean parts from this section.

Give the housing a good squirt of grease. Put the copper contact plate in first, make sure its orientated right. Then the stalk arm, remembering the copper contact plate that sits on the spring in the end. Finally refit the white arm and spring back into place.

Refit the backing plate and test to make sure everything moves smoothly and clicks as it should.
    Then go and test out your newly refurbished stalk switch and marvel at it working perfectly!
    Last edited by Error404; 31 January 2013, 11:03.
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Good write up and pics

Comment

Great write up

I have the same issue with the wipers so I'll try this at the weekend.
      sigpic
      1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
      1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
      1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Here's a couple more pics showing a burnt contact track and a worn out contact on the stalk

Last edited by Error404; 31 January 2013, 15:47.
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Good job there Mr. Error404.
          RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Thanks for this, this may fix my rear wiper problem!
            96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
            96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
              Good job there Mr. Error404.
              High praise indeed !

Thanks, well done, Error.

Comment

Very good Alex

I might just dive into mine as preventative maintenance

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

TBH this is a job i need to do on both the coupe and the missus car, as they both ahve intermittent stalk functions, I think this may just be the cause. Cheers Alex!!
                  Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
                  03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
                  01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Alex,

Would you be able to load up the pictures again as the links to photo bucket don't seem to work?

Thanks

JB
                    2001 996 C4 - Being renovated
                    1994 ABY Coupe - "Das Smaragd RS2+ Coupe" - Sold

Comment

Yeah no worries mate, photobucket has gone south since they changed it a few months ago
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Fixed
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                          Yeah no worries mate, photobucket has gone south since they changed it a few months ago
                          totally,what a load of **** that new site is.There is a way of binning it and going back to the old style though(dare say they will stop that soon though)

Comment

Yup, just below your username at the top right when you're on the home page

Remember to leave them appropriate feedback as to why you're changing back

Comment

Error404's excellent post turned into a pdf

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                              Fixed
                              Hope you don't mind but because of the photo issue, now that they are back, I have captured your DIY as a pdf (easy to file and print off ). See attachment.
                              Attached Files
                              RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Working...
                              X