Pressure Regulator Valve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Regulator Valve?

My S2(ABY) is smoky when cold, it started doing it after a lay up of a few weeks when it was being painted (it was likely started and stopped a few times in the paint-shop but I did instruct the painter to let the engine warm a little before turning off)………..anyway, it starts fine and doesn't smoke but after a few minutes it gets a bit blue.

If I then drive it, it's noticeably blue (as seen in the rear-view-mirror).

Then as it warms up more, no smoke?

The engine doesn't use oil as such, I've driven it hard on occasions and there's no noticeable smoke...…..top ups between oil changes is hardly worth mentioning, it's very little.

Engine's done 72,500 miles and is on 10/60 Fuchs oil.

Anyway...….could the Pressure Regulator Valve in the crankcase ventilation system be causing this??…...can I test it?......or is it just worth while replacing it anyway due to age?

Any advice/info appreciated.

John.

PCV os likely dead by now but shouldn't cause smoke. More likely top end or turbo seal. Have you done a cold compression test? Or warm?
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I did have turbo seal thoughts, haven't done any compression tests yet...…..will do a hot one tomorrow as I'll drive it to where the comp. tester is!

Comment

I had oil on startup and identified cylinder 4 as the culprit, this was on startup though.

Disconnect the breather and plug both ends at the inlet boot and inlet manifold to see if it's the breather.
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Cheers Rusty.

I think I just need to start using it again !! Prior to Saturday I last used it in April (before that it was October when it was painted), it was a bit smokey as above. Saturday it smoked too.

It sat from Saturday 'till yesterday, used it yesterday...…..perfect, no smoke. Using it again today and next week so will see how it goes.

Was so pleased with it I didn't do a compression test...…..but I will soon.

Comment

Working...
          X