ABY into UrQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABY into UrQ

Hello , I am new member and would like to share with you some difficulties i am going through in my projects and seek for ideas. Apologies for the long post.
    I am putting an ABY engine (from 1993-1994 Audi S2 Avant LHD) and its wiring loom into a 1985 UrQ. I used Paul Nugent ABY/ADU Engine Wiring document (Many thanks Paul for this wonderful document) to navigate through the wiring and connectors in addition to some wiring diagrams.

The engine bay connectors are connected appropriately except for the following that are not connected so far
    - F75: hydraulic oil level switch
    - Lambda probe connections Z19, T1a, G39 (I did not install the lambda probe yet)
    - F21 for hydraulic servo unit
    - F34 for brake fluid level
    - V51 pump
    - Canister plug if I remember well as I don’t have a canister.
    I think I have the evaporative emissions control valve but don’t know so far where to route its exit (probably to the gas tank)
    On the interior I did not connect
    - T2s (central console)
    - T6d (coding plug)
    - T1f (reverse light)
    - T6r
    - T5h (HVAC)
    - T5 and T10 (I would use the signals that goes to gages later, after starting the engine)
    - OBD wires (L, K, MIL)

The donor car has antitheft and IMMO I believe, nevertheless the ECU was chipped and I guess IMMO is disabled in the new chips (otherwise I have another ECU ending with 551A that I think can operate without IMMO right?)
    I have connected all wires to the fuse box as indicated by Paul, including Multiplug B.
    I did not pay attention to the identify connectors T3aa and Trk (to coils) in the engine bay as I supposed they are interchangeable.
    I tried to start the engine, it cranked but did not start: I have juice on fuses S24, S25, S27, S28 and S32 and on many sensors from ECU (did not test all) but have no spark and I believe no signal to fuel injectors (have to double check though). I have wired directly the fuel pump as I am doing some interior re-wiring as well.

I did not have time to dig more as I had to leave for some time and now will have couple of days to work on the car. I have few questions before I start digging into each sensor on the engine:
    - Considering the not-connected plugs listed above, is there any connectors or connections that are crucial to fire the engine? Going through the wiring diagrams, they all seemed not necessary except maybe VSS?
    - I would not be able to provide the ECU with a Vehicle Speed Signal from speedometer as I am running a dial instrument (don’t have the S2 instrument cluster). Is it ok or is the signal mandatory? In the later case, how can I provide this signal (Is it possible to link it to the speed sender from gearbox G22)? And do you know about a good digital tor mechanical transformer for the vehicle speed?
    - Is any extra wiring required to handle the IMMO (i.e T10.10) or OBD wires?
    - T10.6 seems to links two earth connections in the wiring loops, is it mandatory to have to start the engine?
    - I am planning to install a manual AC, is it necessary to connect it to any of ECU pins (pins 6 and 41)?

My next steps were to check if I have a signal from G40 and check if B15a (multiplug B in the fusebox) is supplying +12V to the thermoswitch (F76) and then check the remaining connections and sensors to make sure they have the appropriate signal (+12V, +5V, 0V).
    Suggestions are welcome. I appreciate your help.

Hello again
    i finally had some time to go through the wiring once more and check the connections.
    the engine is running now. The issue was with the IMMO wiring

Cheers

Comment

late aby/rs2 harness has immobilizer in the harness (relay)
      sigpic

Comment

Congratulations sir,

That must have been a very satisfying moment. Please take time to drink responsibly!

Sounds like a lovely project. Photos?

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks guys

yes it was a relay thingy

here is a photo with the engine and harness in tge works just to test that it would run before putting everything in place appropriately

keep u posted

Attached Files

Comment

wow great ! i have the same project or so. I have a GTQ & AAN engine, but because i'm a numb in electrical i have not yet started theproject,
            any video of your running engine ?
            sigpic

Comment

Iepa!

One friend has an UrQ aby swap.
              Bought, not build.
              photobucket SUCKS
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by varia View Post
                late aby/rs2 harness has immobilizer in the harness (relay)
                Where?
                with stock alarm system or with Irda remote key?

Thanks
                photobucket SUCKS
                sigpic

Comment

Macchris: no video unfortunately. I am out of town. If you follow Paul book, it would be easy to find your way. There will plenty of connectors that would be obselete or that you would use them for the dash and gauges.

M_Gordon: i think they are two immo relays situated next to the after run relay. Here is one in the photo below

Good luck woth your projects
                  Attached Files

Comment

i think i'll see with someone i know and pay for, i haven't enough faith in me for that lol
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X