Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Broke down! :/ after full revs Any help /advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Broke down! :/ after full revs Any help /advice?

Hey guys! hows you guys?
    Literally was opening up the car yesterday on the throttle and pushed her a little hard for a few miles, then at near maximum revs, (7000 ish) there was a boom and then instant loss of engine power and all the dials started going down - the engine oil light came on (red). I pulled over to a stop.

It felt like I had just ran out of fuel or something had gone , or no spark.

On side of road now and the engine turns over - so im getting power to it. I checked outside and my front left light had just died, (they are the upgraded round electric bulb ones, Im not sure what they are called? HID? I'm not sure, but mine is an ABY).

So light was out but sidelights everything else good.

Car had dropped no fluids, all belts still on so no sign of any damage, no sign of engine failure. So I'm now thinking I know these cars have safety features installed to cut the engine if there is a problem to protect it.
    Could I have had a relay or fuse blown? which could have caused the car to die like this?

Or does anyone here know what it is?

:/ Ive now been recovered to my address in welwyn garden city :/

Huge thx in advance :/
    Attached Files

Which engine? Modified?

Comment

There is a fault code for an engine over-rev. you'll need to check if that's been triggered
      Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Hey thx, its an ABY engine.. do i ask the mechanic to come out? I have no diagnostics equipment. could it have been the rats under the bonnet that I found after being stored for a while? have they nibbled through something. As the front left light went, would it be some sort of electrical surge?

Comment

What sort of bang was it? And have you checked the side of the block for a hole... or a boost hose come off (being less dramatic)?

Even if it did trigger an over rev fault, I don't see why it wouldn't start afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris5044 View Post
            Hey guys! hows you guys?
            all belts still on so no sign of any damage, no sign of engine failure
            Sorry to hear you didn't make it home from the MK Meet under your own steam Chris.

May have jumped a tooth (or two) or tensioner gone? And the timing being out would probably cut the engine / mean it won't restart?

No oil pissing out the bottom gives hope the engine is okay.
            B5 B6 B7 B9

Comment

:/ cry cry, sad. atm. wow a tooth out !? oh :/ ... would diagnostics tell me? I got to bed at 4am yday

Comment

It's hard to say what could have happened. Hitting the rev limiter does not normally cut the engine out, not in the time I've had my car anyway. I would advise a thorough check and compression test if nothing visible is damaged.
                1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Hey! does the audi have a odbc port? guys - if so, where would it be found? thx in advance

Comment

Hopefully just a boost hose blowing off, have a good check around.

There are 2x2 connectors for fault codes in the fuse box under the bonnet.

Comment

Originally posted by Colesy View Post

Legend!! Than you!

Comment

Hope it's nothing serious, a "boom" then power loss doesn't sound good though. As you've said "no fluids lost" then as above a compression test would be a good idea assuming the cam timing is found to be ok first?

Maybe clutch/flywheel has damaged the rpm sensor??

Hopefully maybe just an air hose has split/come off?

Comment

Sorry to hear this Chris. Hopefully not done too much damage.

Get it checked out properly. I know you were about to do the cambelt so hopefully you get away without bending something internally.
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Colesy View Post

Hmm on looking I cannot see ODBC connectors here, are you sure? I found the fuses, my car is an ABY, The battery is under the rear seat also.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris5044 View Post

Hmm on looking I cannot see ODBC connectors here, are you sure? I found the fuses, my car is an ABY, The battery is under the rear seat also.
                              They are black and white 2x2 connectors you need an adaptor for an ODBC cable

Comment

Working...
                              X